Spektrum/Horizon Heavy Duty 25mW 5.8GHz Video Transmitter and Camera with Raceband - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Spektrum/Horizon Heavy Duty 25mW 5.8GHz Video Transmitter and Camera with Raceband

Here is a water tight, tiny FPV camera that you can put anywhere. RCGroups.com takes a test spin.

Splash

Here is a lightweight FPV camera and video transmitter in one tiny package.

Camera Type: CMOS 700TVL FatShark
Band: 5.8GHz
Input Voltage: 3.9-6.0Volts
Signal Output: 25mW
Modulation: Analog NTSC
Weight: .6 ounces
Manufacturer: Spektrum and Fat Shark
Available From: Horizon Hobby
Price: $99.99

RCGroups was excited to get the new heavy duty 25mW FPV video transmitter from Spektrum. I'm always on the hunt for a good FPV video system and when they are small like this they can fit on anything. The thing that makes this unit stand out from the others is it's hard shell. It not only protects the camera and it's board, it also protects the antenna. The VA2510 would be right at home on a plane, FPV truck or even a boat.

Heavy Duty 25mW 5.8GHz FPV Camera with Raceband (SPMVA2510) - RCGroups.com Review (8 min 41 sec)

Features

• Integrated camera and 25mw transmitter
  • Protective outer shell for protection
  • Water, shock and dust resistant
  • Good signal range for park flyers and quad racers
  • Compatible with 5.8GHz headsets
  • Powered separately or through an RX port
  • Remote channel selection available when powered through receiver aux port
  • Integrated power filter prevents motor and servo interference
  • No 2.4GHz RC interference

Flight Results

You can see in my video that the VA2510 had enough signal power to work around most of our 30 acre field. I was really impressed with how the video signal looked in my FatShark goggles and on my monitor. I had assumed that the 25mW would not let me range out too far but I was pleasantly surprised.

Installation

I was over thinking installation. All this unit needs is some double sided tape. I used some velco on my plane so I could move the camera around on different vehicles.

Powering the Unit

You power the VA2510 through an auxiliary channel on your receiver. I was impressed that is has a built-in integrated power filter to prevent interference from the model's motor and servos. Another interesting feature is that you can change video frequency via the button on the camera, but you can also assign a transmitter switch or dial to whatever aux channel the camera is connected to and remotely change channel frequencies from your radio.

Image Quality

I expected a unit this small to be at max 600TVL but the VA2510 actually sports a CMOS 700TVL FatShark camera with a wide-angle lense. It had all the clarity I needed to fly around, even on an over cast day.

Goggles and Monitors

I used this with the Focal goggles that are made by Fat Shark and sold by Horizon. I also flew this cam through my dual diversity monitor. This also has a race band.

Conclusion

Over all was really surprised by the range and clarity. It's so small you could mount it to just about anything.

Jan 06, 2017, 01:12 PM
I just wanna fly, fly, fly
Thanks for your review, Jim T! What's the story with all the reviews this week for products that have been out for months and years? New year's cleaning at the editorial office?

That said, my son got a VA2510 for Xmas, to put on his Losi 1:24 Micro Crawler. Love how this camera takes 5V and plugged directly into the AUX port of his surface RX. We simply attached it with a rubber band. Easiest FPV upgrade ever!

This FPV add-on has revived my son's interest in his his crawler, and RC in general. He's been having a ball driving the crawler around the house and yard, chasing the dogs and cat. The sturdy waterproof case of the VA2510 is an obvious advantage for this application. Lots of fun!
Jan 06, 2017, 03:44 PM
Well, at 17 grams I don't think there'll be any Tiny Whoop adventures...
Jan 07, 2017, 04:25 PM
Outlaw
looks nice, but at that weight, I'd like to bump the power out to 100-200 mW!
Jan 16, 2017, 08:33 PM
From personal experience they don't work all that well on a truck because if anything gets in between you and it the signal drops; true line of sight. Even when I went around an island in my kitchen 10 feet away, or going over a hill a short distance away, this is purely for planes quads and maybe boats.
Jan 18, 2017, 06:27 AM
i agree. hardly ever see negative reviews that say "dont buy this" on rc groups anymore
Jan 20, 2017, 03:29 PM
Wakka Wakka

What a Joke

$100.00 for that? Good Luck.