FrSky Redundancy Bus 10 - Page 3 - RC Groups
Jan 04, 2017, 10:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
True the dip switch option is useful when you use a second XJT (i don't think the internal XJT has the switches). I use telemetry for RSSI ect from the internal module and the XJT with the non telemetry receiver as a backup connection. The only issue is that without the module plugged in (i use a spektrum module also) i don't get a warning directly. I will make a function that alarms when one receiver has a failsafe (due to a missing TX module )
Absolutely, it's horses for courses and what matters is what works for the person using it.

It's likely I think that a 9XE user would be different as it's not an external module at all but a plug in module internal to the TX, I don't think I could be bothered with changing it out on a 9XE it's too much trouble, I'd rather leave it as is and buy additional receivers as needed especially with the current range and choice of FrSky RX's (I've just switched my F3P models over to the VD5M which had the added bonus of using the same connectors as the micro Orange one's they replaced ) so I don't need to anyway .

It's always good to have two solutions though.

Thanks
to remove ads between posts
Jan 07, 2017, 07:28 AM
I played with the XJT no telemetry option a bit and i discovered the mode is stored in the XJT module during bind. So switching between modes is not possible by just changing the switches......
Jan 07, 2017, 08:27 AM
Quote:
I played with the XJT no telemetry option a bit and i discovered the mode is stored in the XJT module during bind. So switching between modes is not possible by just changing the switches......
Isn't it that the dip switches are there primarily for when the XJT is being used as a module in another TX make whereas with Open TX the settings in the TX i.e. when you set to bind in D8 mode, D16, LR12 override that?

If that is the case (which seems to be as my two X8r RX's were bound with both switches "on") then hopefully the two switches "on" simply stops the XJT broadcasting back Telemetry (which is exactly what we want).

That would be good if so as I intend to use L9R RX's as the back up on another couple of planes and would mean I wouldn't even need to remove the back to initially bind them. (I don't have the L9R's yet to try).

All looking very promising so far, (with the exception that one of mine has gone back as one battery channel was DOA).
Jan 07, 2017, 11:12 AM
Yes, the switches only force the XJT to not send S.Port data to the TX but the mode is stored in the XJT during bind. Changing the switches without rebinding has no effect.

The real problem is also the heartbeat from the module causing the TX to go crazy. Tested with my XM+ which does not send anything ever.
Jan 07, 2017, 11:30 AM
Quote:
Yes, the switches only force the XJT to not send S.Port data to the TX but the mode is stored in the XJT during bind. Changing the switches without rebinding has no effect.

The real problem is also the heartbeat from the module causing the TX to go crazy. Tested with my XM+ which does not send anything ever.
So far so good, I actually set the TX to D16 mode and I numbered the RX's 02 and 12 but when I actually bound them I did that with both dip switches at "on", where the switches are doesn't seem to matter hence my earlier comment that Open TX appears to over ride them.

I haven't had the TX do anything wrong set up like that and been using it on and off all day, (on a bench) so far so good.

One strange thing that I'm trying to puzzle out though is I decided to range check it, I put the internal RF into range mode and walked down the garden, about 40 M away the signal would drop completely to zero all of a sudden yet I still had control, that would make sense if the RB-10 was switching between the RX's but it isn't and it isn't the RB-10 that's sending telemetry back so why the sudden loss? I'm still trying to figure that one out. When I switched off the XJT the apparent range was much better and back to normal, very strange.

What problem are you getting i.e. what do you mean by the TX goes crazy?
Jan 07, 2017, 12:16 PM
My issue is constant telemetry lost / recovered alarm with both modules on. That happens because the IXJT sends telemetry data and then the XJT send a no telemetry 'heartbeat'. I don't think different model numbers would change that behaviour but it might have something to do with it.
Jan 07, 2017, 03:03 PM
Quote:
My issue is constant telemetry lost / recovered alarm with both modules on. That happens because the IXJT sends telemetry data and then the XJT send a no telemetry 'heartbeat'. I don't think different model numbers would change that behaviour but it might have something to do with it.
I'm not getting that at all, it has been on and off all day long (a sort of soak test) and that hasn't happened once, telemetry on the second X8R isn't even disabled because I forgot to jump pins 3 and 4 when I bound it, might be worth rebinding the Rx's with both dip switches at "on" (only because that is definitely what I did), or possibly you are getting that because you are using a different TX, mine is the 9XE?

The only explanation I can come up with true telemetry lost (earlier post) is a full power signal drowning one at only 1/30th of full strength.

It's going to go in something foam first though before it gets into a seriously expensive airframe.
Jan 07, 2017, 03:34 PM
FJH
FJH
Dip switches of external XJT module must both be set to "ON" position (though not defined in the manual), same situation as for combination of RX8R plus satellite Rx (can also be second RX8R with bidirectional SBUS wiring).

I tested RB10 switching over of control beween two Rx (one X8R and one XM+) with X9E. Worked flawless.
Jan 07, 2017, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
Dip switches of external XJT module must both be set to "ON" position (though not defined in the manual), same situation as for combination of RX8R plus satellite Rx (can also be second RX8R with bidirectional SBUS wiring).

I tested RB10 switching over of control between two Rx (one X8R and one XM+) with X9E. Worked flawless.
Is there any documentation anywhere that details this?

I'm not doubting you for a moment as I've found that works, also I agree it's a seamless switch over, deprive the main RX of a signal and the second kicks in instantly with no deflection of any control surface.
Jan 07, 2017, 04:46 PM
FJH
FJH
What documentation do you mean? Required dip switch setting for external XJT I got from FrSky for test of RX8R. RB10 I tested myself together with a club colleague and his X9E yesterday.

BTW we observed some curiosity with his X9E. When I deactivate the external XJT in my X9D then the red light on the back side of the module goes off, indicating power off. The X9E of my colleague behaves different, the red light of the external XJT does not switch off, thus power remains on though deactivated in the Tx setup. What about behaviour of your X9E?
Jan 07, 2017, 05:01 PM
When you said:

"Dip switches of external XJT module must both be set to "ON" position (though not defined in the manual), same situation as for combination of RX8R plus satellite Rx (can also be second RX8R with bidirectional SBUS wiring".

I suppose I could have said is that just knowledge gained or are there any instructions to that effect? I was just curious as to how you knew that, especially as both on according to the instructions is an undefined position (not that you can take FrSky instructions to literally.

No mine goes out (and is deactivated) as in theory it should.
Jan 07, 2017, 05:11 PM
FJH
FJH
I started tests with RX8R and external XJT module with dip switches set both to "OFF" position (D16 mode as per manual) and did face problems which I reported to FrSky. FrSky instructed me to put both dip switches to "ON" and problems were gone.

Thanks for your information regarding LED. So maybe it's software related. The X9E has OpenTx V2.1.9 installed, what OpenTx version do you have installed?
Jan 07, 2017, 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
I started tests with RX8R and external XJT module with dip switches set both to "OFF" position (D16 mode as per manual) and did face problems which I reported to FrSky. FrSky instructed me to put both dip switches to "ON" and problems were gone.
Thanks for that, well if anyone should know they should, I tried both "on" from information from Tadango and like you said problems went away

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
Thanks for your information regarding LED. So maybe it's software related. The X9E has Open Tx V2.1.9 installed, what Open Tx version do you have installed?
I have 2.2.0 N360, because I have the Horus stick installed in my 9XE
Jan 07, 2017, 05:26 PM
FJH
FJH
Okay, thanks for your information. I will tell my colleague to try other OTx version, maybe that solves his problem.
Jan 08, 2017, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH
Okay, thanks for your information. I will tell my colleague to try other OTx version, maybe that solves his problem.
Could you please share the results on here once you know? Thanks.