FrSky Redundancy Bus 10 - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 16, 2016, 05:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJH

But I may say that your high current demand is not for the majority of users, for whom this RB10 is planned, your required current demand is extraordinary. Most users will for sure be happy with the RB10 data.
I don't agree the use of high torque servos is extraordinary, maybe for the users in this forum, but on gassers and jets is very common. On these airplanes is where most people use power boxes and why I wanted to point that maybe this rb is not appropiate for them .
Look at what happened with the futaba R7018sb receiver, because it had two big pair of leads to connect the batteries, people thought it was appropiate to be used on jets, 3d gassers etc.. Many crashes after, they had to put a note on the box limiting the use of high currents servos and now the receiver is discontinued.

R7018sb thread
to remove ads between posts
Dec 16, 2016, 05:43 AM
That might have been another issue also. I plan to use these RB10's in jet's mostly. In jet's the current drawn is MUCH less then in a gasser. Vibrations and jammed servo's cause high servo currents mostly.
Dec 16, 2016, 05:55 AM
I use the big rbus on 120cc plane with no issues.

I originally feared that 5 amps would easily be drawn and cause me problems but it actually takes a good period of time at 5 amps plus sustained to reduce power to a servo. Another member on the forum tested this.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2&postcount=86

Maybe it could be upgraded a bit to slightly higher rated poly fuses as the testing was done at 6 volt and my planes run 2s lipo so it will take less amps to trip the fuse if my thinking is correct. But by the time you are drawing higher amps than 7a constant the rbus would maybe let out the smoke lol.

Mine works as it should from factory.
Last edited by raydar; Dec 16, 2016 at 08:15 AM.
Dec 16, 2016, 10:46 AM
Froggy RC Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
[...]There are also sensor for current and capacities but there is no measurement so those are useless (used in the larger Redundancy Bus). [...]
Sorry, but I'm not sure I correctly understand this statement. Do you mean than those sensors are detected by the Taranis/Horus, but they are always displaying 0?
If yes, then those sensors should not be detected. The RB-10 is probably sharing some part of the RB firmware. So, to me, it looks like a small bug.

Seb

[EDIT:] Forgot to say, this is a nice review.
Dec 16, 2016, 11:07 AM
Quote:
That might have been another issue also. I plan to use these RB10's in jet's mostly. In jet's the current drawn is MUCH less then in a gasser. Vibrations and jammed servo's cause high servo currents mostly.
You are correct, most jets draw less current than big 3d airplanes. I have a friend flying an Aviation design Scorpion with a Weatronic 12-22r, with that system you can log voltage, current, etc. A flap servo draw around 3-3'5A constant when flying a bit quick, . Can't remember what servos he is using .

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydar
But by the time you are drawing higher amps than 7a constant the rbus would maybe let out the smoke lol.
Based on that test the system looks good, but as the polyfuses behave differently depending on the temperature, I'm wondering what the A limit is in hot day inside the airplane and not sitting in the workbench.

Anyways seems that the frsky specs are very conservative, which is a very good thing.
Dec 17, 2016, 01:46 AM
▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀ ▄ ▀
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciusna
Look at what happened with the futaba R7018sb receiver, now the receiver is discontinued.
I was the first to introduce this receiver in american RC forums before release date. good to know it's been discontinued
Dec 17, 2016, 12:27 PM
I think the poly fuse protection is well tested as it has been used elsewhere for a long time now in large scale planes.

If Frsky has shamelessly (hopefully) used the same spec poly fuses as the product they copied all should be well.
Dec 17, 2016, 12:49 PM
Yes and thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LapinFou
Sorry, but I'm not sure I correctly understand this statement. Do you mean than those sensors are detected by the Taranis/Horus, but they are always displaying 0?
If yes, then those sensors should not be detected. The RB-10 is probably sharing some part of the RB firmware. So, to me, it looks like a small bug.

Seb

[EDIT:] Forgot to say, this is a nice review.
Dec 17, 2016, 12:53 PM
Froggy RC Pilot
Quote:
Yes and thanks
OK. Shame the current sensor are not implemented, but RB-10 is supposed to be not expensive and small. So FrSky has done some compromises.
Dec 17, 2016, 01:09 PM
True but remove the sensors then
Jan 04, 2017, 04:51 AM
Yesterday i installed the RB-10 in a jet with a XSR and XM+ as receivers. Worked as expected. The main question for me was how the output protection worked with 2 small cheap electronic switches as power source. They are only rated for 10A and use normal servo wire so much less then FrSky recommends. The switches are used to switch 2x 2s A123 LiFe packs which can provide more then enough current. I can happily say that it works perfectly. When i short a output the voltage drop is not noticeable and nothing resets. This would be my favorite affordable setup for medium sized planes:
- 1x RB-10 ($28)
- 1x XSR ($25)
- 1x XM+ ($13)
- 2x Trackstar switch ($26)

A total of $92 for a good reliable redundant setup with telemetry and up to 16 channels (with S.Bus expanders). I cannot think of any other brand that offers the same for the same price or less. The 2 receivers are small and can be placed anywhere you want in the plane. I also use a XJT module for redundant TX modules also.

After i mount the receivers and antenna's i will post some photo's with the install.
Jan 04, 2017, 08:17 AM
Quote:
Yesterday I installed the RB-10 in a jet with a XSR and XM+ as receivers. Worked as expected. The main question for me was how the output protection worked with 2 small cheap electronic switches as power source. They are only rated for 10A and use normal servo wire so much less then FrSky recommends. The switches are used to switch 2x 2s A123 LiFe packs which can provide more then enough current. I can happily say that it works perfectly. When i short a output the voltage drop is not noticeable and nothing resets. This would be my favourite affordable setup for medium sized planes.
Thanks for your post, very useful, I use a twin LiFe set up so that information is good to know, like you I came to the same conclusion that's it's tremendous value for the security it gives you, and for many it will simply be an upgrade so only the cost of the RB-10 and another receiver.

I also came to the same conclusion that it makes sense to use both internal and a plug in XJT in case the RF unit failed, to keep it neat I used the unused Bluetooth aerial in the handle and soldered the end of that to inside the XJT unit (then hot glued it, I so hate soldering such small wires).

I don't have any problem with space, absolutely acres to spare so used twin X8R's, obviously telemetry on the second one has to be disabled but one thing I did notice is a conflict, you can still use model match but DON'T use the same model number for the second RX or you get constant "telemetry found/telemetry lost" warnings, just use a number that isn't in use.

A quick question though, I see FrSky released new firmware for the modules late last year, that being XJT_LBT_build161214.frk, was there any specific reason for this? Does it improve anything? In other words is it worthwhile upgrading to it?

Thanks
Jan 04, 2017, 09:06 AM
I read the update for the XJT as fix for a small production batch only. All modules sold before and after are fine.

Regarding the model number issue, you can still use the same model number if you put both switches ON on the XJT module. This way it fully disables telemetry from the module itself. Rebinding is needed. It seems to disable a heartbeart signal or something (undocumented feature). You don't even need to disable the telemetry on the X8R (and so 2x XSR is usable also ) with a jumper so it is a cool function that i need to test some more.
Jan 04, 2017, 09:40 AM
Quote:
I read the update for the XJT as fix for a small production batch only. All modules sold before and after are fine.

Regarding the model number issue, you can still use the same model number if you put both switches ON on the XJT module. This way it fully disables telemetry from the module itself. Rebinding is needed. It seems to disable a heartbeart signal or something (undocumented feature). You don't even need to disable the telemetry on the X8R (and so 2x XSR is usable also ) with a jumper so it is a cool function that i need to test some more.
Thanks for that, two ways to achieve it then but as my TX is a 9XE it's easier for me (or any other 9XE user) to leave the dip switches as is because should you want to use the plug in module with telemetry that would mean taking the back of to change them. Easier in a 9XE to let the software change them especially as it's held at specific model level.

Cheers
Jan 04, 2017, 10:00 AM
True the dip switch option is useful when you use a second XJT (i don't think the internal XJT has the switches). I use telemetry for RSSI ect from the internal module and the XJT with the non telemetry receiver as a backup connection. The only issue is that without the module plugged in (i use a spektrum module also) i don't get a warning directly. I will make a function that alarms when one receiver has a failsafe (due to a missing TX module )