Jan 14, 2017, 10:21 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Thread OP

Mo Before n Afters

Well SOME of the masks worked great others Not SO,! But here it is with the covers pulled.! Tomorrow will be back up in the mid to upper 60's So gonna squirt the hull yellow,!! Get ya some shots Too,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
to remove ads between posts
Jan 14, 2017, 11:53 PM
If it floats....sail it!
I always do "the smell test" before masking. If the surface smells strongly of solvent , I wait until It just smells of paint and not to strongly. Before color sanding/polishing I wait until I can barely smell the "fresh paint" smell.

Right now I have a boat ready to paint but it has been raining for two weeks with no end in sight and you can't spray waterbased paint when the humidity is above 75%. . California's drought in the northern half of the state has broken. Up to a foot of fresh snow in the mountains, flooding in the valley (we are already at 125% of normal with over half the wet season to go) and lots of old oak trees down and broken levees. Oh well.🙄 We never have the average.
Jan 15, 2017, 12:20 AM
Thread OP
FC, I have No sense of smell due horrible sinuses from past infections from having worked out doors most my adult life. I did let it "bake" out in the sun for a couple hours before bringing indoors then waiting at least 12 before the unmask. Must of either not been secure or bumped during the handling. (Pic taking etc...) It may clean up some n try a touch up with a tooth pick but this is not as critical to me as getting that unfinished cracks n repair spot blem gone away and getting it a uniform color (it was aged white plastic,(not the blue Ready Set), not ever painted.) n that I'm most happy with.!! I thought the song says "IT NEVER RAINS in CALIFORNIA-a-a-a....",??? Paradise like FLA. n Hawii,??? Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Jan 15, 2017, 05:38 PM
Boomer1
That spray can paint can take days to dry enough to mess with it. Especially in cooler conditions.
Boomer
Jan 15, 2017, 07:01 PM
Folks, spray cans are widely and unfavorably known for not curing especially when used on plastic - if you are using something like Rust-oleum or Krylon and there is any depth to the paint, any solvent residue left on the hull or any level of humidity when it was applied it may take a week or a month to fully cure. Fox
Jan 15, 2017, 07:36 PM
W Kuhns
I found automotive supply companies paint suppliers can make any color you want in a spray can. It really doesnt cost much more than rattle cans if you take into effect the curing times as well as durability. It takes far less time to cure so the trade off in my humble opinion is is far better tban a rattle can. And again better finish. I understand the cost but I weighed out cost and effect and it surpasses regular rattle cans. Im on a huge cost restraint as well. So I do take that into affect on stuff i use. Again in my opinion only.
Jan 15, 2017, 07:37 PM
If it floats....sail it!
The old formula of Krylon was great. The new formulas are

That's why I have shifted to water based paints that I top with two part poly urethane automotive clear coat. The humidity must be below 75% to spray it (not a problem unless it is raining) and each of the three or four light coats dries in 15 minutes. Plus you can get a fantastic range of colors - far more than rattle cans.. The only downside is that you absolutely must use a well fitting organic filtered mask (not one of those cheap disposable dust masks).

The clear hardens overnight and can be wet sanded and polished to a show car finish. A paint job this way probably costs 4x what rattle can cost, but it gives a far nicer job and your time has got to worth something.
Jan 16, 2017, 12:28 AM
Thread OP

Moving from Blk n White pic's to COLOR

Thx Skippers for all your input advice,! Learn something new here every time,!! OH well it's been done. Maybe next life line I'll get born Rich,!! I have nothing BUT time to wait for it to cure. As I mentioned I'm on the B/O wait list for the new sails. I also have not yet decided on a graphic's theme to break up the solid color. As descripted in pic's attached I'm not a show winner modeler yet so it's better than it was . Personally I'm purty pleased @ the new look. AND ,NO ONE in the club has a color close to it Xept XO Jack n his 67 is ALL white,! (the son of the Swan of Pineville Pond, his past EC-12 ). Anywho here's todays efforts,.... (all shots taken after 2.5 hrs of the squirtin , NO clear coat) Maybe tomorrow I can pull the tape n get some shot's of the combined efforts look. Thx Again for all you support/advice,!! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Jan 16, 2017, 07:59 AM
W Kuhns
Nice job.... Love yellow n a hull. As my second one I built was that color. Its shows up nice one the water. Good luck and the rattle can will work fne. Its just a pteference
Jan 16, 2017, 01:35 PM
If it floats....sail it!
You want easy to see on the water???? Try using fluorescent paint colors. http://www.autoaircolors.com/paints/4262.html What it looks like on the screen is not nearly as bright as it is in real life, particularly on a sunny day

FC
Jan 16, 2017, 01:47 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Their website says the fluorescent colors fade over time when exposed to outside conditions, and should be applied over a matching base color.
Have you noticed any fading with the limited exposure a typical Sunday sailing schedule would impart?

BP
Jan 16, 2017, 02:16 PM
If it floats....sail it!
I make it a point to not leave it on the grass in the sun when it is not in the water, but in the three years since I painted the boat with about 5 days per month of half day sailing, I have not seen any significant color loss. There may be some when compared to fresh paint, but nothing noticeable to my eye. The two part clear coat has a pretty good UV inhibitor in it.

That disclaimer is because this paint is sold for automotive graphics and would fade if on a car hood left daily exposed to the sun.

This is not true of the heat shrinking plastic film used to cover model plane wings and boat decks on classes that allow film decks. Those fade quickly IME, even when just sitting in a garage
Jan 16, 2017, 03:36 PM
I had my old hull painted flourescent orange, and it was extremely bright...and it was easy to see...and it still got hit by people saying they didnt see it

I used createx flourescent orange over a white base of duplicolor nissan super white 2 base. I shot duplicolor clear over it. It didnt have any visible fading. The previous paint job I sprayed in similar colors used krylon kraft works flourescent orange. It did fade < even with clear) after about 2 + years. But that boat was on the water twice a week for long periods of time.
Jan 16, 2017, 04:49 PM
take the boat out of the stand, remove the keel and hang the boat to dry by a hanger thru the hatch opening. The paint is going to be very soft, and you will get the stand strap imprinting on the paint. hang it up for at least a week to dry/cure. I can tell you how I know this, but it would only raise my blood pressure.

Quick Reply