Axial Racing Yeti Jr. 1/18

The Yeti has been around since 2014. It's about time a smaller version was introduced! Let's take a quick look at the Yeti Jr.

Splash

That's Just My Baby Yeti

Powered by a 380-sized brushed motor, the new 1/18th scale Yeti Jr. is a pint-sized rock racer that's ready to run! Featuring an SR18 solid axle out back and a-arm suspension in the front, the Yeti Jr. can maintain it's composure while running on almost any type of terrain. Method Racing Wheels are standard on the Yeti Jr., as is the included Tactic TTX200 2.4GHz transmitter, Onyx NiMh, and a Tactic RE20 2.4GHz receiver/ESC combo. The Yeti Jr. retails for $179.99.

CLICK HERE for more info on the all new Axial Racing Yeti Jr.

Axial AX90054 Yeti Jr.™ 1/18th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR (2 min 41 sec)

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 14, 2016 at 09:29 AM..
Dec 14, 2016, 12:45 PM
head designer at TEAM-D DESIGN
Ooh I want one! But at that price
Dec 14, 2016, 10:12 PM
Life is short, buy the boat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoman
preaching to the choir...
Dec 15, 2016, 12:41 AM
The price is not bad when you factor in quality and spare parts for years to come.

Sure you can go ahead and buy one of the China brands for 100$ less but when you break it, it's a wrap. Now you're double in the hole when you buy something else to replace it.

The yeti looks great but I'm loving the score
Dec 15, 2016, 12:34 PM
This looks cool! Too bad it's not brushless lol
Dec 15, 2016, 12:39 PM
www.gunnphotoservices.com
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
This looks cool! Too bad it's not brushless lol
I've always questioned the "brushless or nothing" mentality. For a vehicle this size, a brushed motor is completely appropriate: plenty of torque on demand, and top speed is acceptable. Heck, run times are good too. I have a LaTrax with a brushed 380 and the little thing runs forever. Very minimal energy loss due to heat compared to a brushed setup as well. Why do you want a brushless version?
Latest blog entry: www.gunnphotoservices.com
Dec 15, 2016, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gunn
I've always questioned the "brushless or nothing" mentality. For a vehicle this size, a brushed motor is completely appropriate: plenty of torque on demand, and top speed is acceptable. Heck, run times are good too. I have a LaTrax with a brushed 380 and the little thing runs forever. Very minimal energy loss due to heat compared to a brushed setup as well. Why do you want a brushless version?
I never said brushless or nothing haha. I had several little brushed trucks, and they worked well.

However, I would want a brushless power option in addition to a brushed model, especially when you consider the price. 179 seems a little high for a brushed model when you can get brushless models from lesser known companies for much cheaper. Yes I know the quality of Axial is better than the others, but regardless, all RCs will break. And then you will be paying for more expensive parts for the brushed Axial, whereas a cheaper brushless model might be cheaper to maintain.

Basically, all that to say it seems that the price is a little high for a brushed 1/18. If it was brushless...that would be a completely different story.

Also, and this might just be my observations, but the truck doesn't really seem to be aimed at beginners, so most people might want a brushless one anyways, which brings us back around to your original question, "brushless or nothing"

Edit: one other thing that bugs me is the ESC/receiver combo. If one breaks you have to replace the whole thing, and people won't be able to put their own radio system in the truck.
Dec 15, 2016, 01:00 PM
It should been 145.00
Dec 16, 2016, 02:04 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Got mine yesterday. Fun little buggy.

Yeti Jr. First run. (0 min 58 sec)

I already replaced the steering servo with a Hitec HS-65MG and I will have a Spektrum RX and cheap brushed ESC in it by the weekend. Not doing brushless in this one. Don't see much point, really. It flips over if you fart in its general direction. Hoping a little expo from the Spektrum might help that. 2S 2200 pack fits perfectly for those times when 30 minutes just isn't enough and you need 40.

It's easy to sell a vehicle for $100 or whatever when you simply stamp your name on someone else's design. Dromida, ECX, Revell, Redcat, Maverick, Exceed, HSP, Helion, etc all do it. Some have their own tweaks and upgrades but they all use variations of the same two chassis. One with the bottom loading battery and one without. Google search Himoto Clones. Look familiar?

Axial is a premium brand and this seems to be an original design. For that, and all of the licensed brand names on it, it will have a premium price tag. One that a whole lot of dudes have no problem paying for.
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 16, 2016 at 02:20 AM.
Dec 16, 2016, 12:25 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogoman
$179's not bad for an RTR 1/18th scale vehicle.

I mean, I remember the old Micro RS4s. They were $130 with a brushed motor and no other electronics. By the time you added a radio, servo, esc, battery (because nobody wanted to run 4 AAs...) you were $250 into the thing.

Now, I will say, they should've offered it as the Trophy Truck too.
Dec 16, 2016, 08:54 PM
There is a trophy truck and it's pretty cool looking.

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90052
Dec 17, 2016, 02:20 AM
head designer at TEAM-D DESIGN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage
$179's not bad for an RTR 1/18th scale vehicle.

I mean, I remember the old Micro RS4s. They were $130 with a brushed motor and no other electronics. By the time you added a radio, servo, esc, battery (because nobody wanted to run 4 AAs...) you were $250 into the thing.

Now, I will say, they should've offered it as the Trophy Truck too.
I would not doubt the price is not bad for what it is, but just a little too much for my wallet
Dec 19, 2016, 06:42 AM
Wow I don't complain but not even a lipo battery
Dec 19, 2016, 09:57 AM
Looks like they just rushed it out for the Christmas shopping season. A RTR with a nimh, cheap charger, 2in1 combo, and a junky servo. Price point if it all worked would be acceptable to me. But I'm glad I waited.

A kit or ARTR without electronics is the way to go, IMO. $120 sounds about right to me.
Dec 19, 2016, 11:04 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
$179 is fine for a premium branded RC vehicle with an original design and official product licensing. Give it a year or two and there should be plenty of cheap, cloned knockoffs in the $100 range but I wouldn't expect those kinds of prices from Axial, ever.
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 19, 2016 at 01:20 PM.

Quick Reply