New Products Flash Sale

Hacker-Model Shake F3P Indoor EPP ARF RCGroups.com Review

Reviewer Nikolei Zinsli flies the Shake from Hacker. It's a pre-printed EPP aircraft that's at home flying advanced 3D maneuvers indoors or outside in no wind. Let's take a look!

Splash

Let's Shake, Rattle 'n Roll this thing!

Product:Hacker-Model Shake Indoor ARF
Material:EPP, carbon fiber
Wingspan:33.1" (840mm)
Length:36.2" (920mm)
Weight:4.76oz (135g)
Motor:Brushless outrunner (60W, 1050-2200Kv)
Battery:2S, at least 240mAh
Price:$64.99
Available from:TowerHobbies.com
PDF Manual:Click Here

Hacker isn't the first name that comes to mind when thinking of foam airplanes, but their line up 18 different airframes cover a wide variety of categories from indoor F3P to flying wings to foamie warbirds. Today we're taking a look at the Hacker Shake, an indoor ARF light enough for F3P aerobatics.

In the box

The Shake includes all of the carbon fiber and servo arm hardware needed to complete the build. The entire airframe is pre-printed with an attractive and colorful scheme.

Assembly

The manual is extremely well illustrated, just make sure you decipher the pictures, icons and arrows used before gluing & cutting as there are no written instructions! However, if you've built any foamies before, this should be a pretty standard process. All of the CF slots & holes are pre-cut for you, big time saver! If you have trouble finding them (the elevator and rudder support bracket holes were especially tough to see on mine), hold the foam to the light and look for straight cuts in the printed design. You can also use the wealth of pictures in the manual to narrow down the location.

Before you get started, do yourself a favor and knoll (spread out and organize) all of the carbon fiber. There's a lot of it, and each length has its special spot in the design. This will also ensure you aren't missing anything; I was missing a single piece of #26 for the trussing. Luckily, I was able to find some spare CF lying around that did the job.

The build went very smoothly with only a couple minor hiccups along the way. The most important thing to keep in mind with thin foamies like this, is to keep everything perfectly flat and perpendicular. I use heavy steel flat and 90 degree joiner brackets you can get from any hardware store. In the past, I've resorted to using rolls of wide tape or even full cans of soda to keep my fuselage bottom half perfectly upright!

On step 43, there's a typo...piece #34 flat carbon should be in the front, and #35 in the back.

When cutting & gluing the trussing for the fuselage, take care that you aren't pushing or pulling the thin fuselage bottom. The CF rods should just nicely sit in the slot, they don't have to be fully poked into the foam. If they are too long, they can create a wave in the foam which will affect flight. The ESC motor leads were very long for the location, so I trimmed them off and re-soldered the bullets to save weight and keep the build clean.

With the battery right in the middle of the wing, the Shake was balanced and ready to fly! It ended up at 6.8oz AUW, so this power setup should have no trouble at all! I'm sure more weight could be saved if desired by using a 2s battery, removing the casing from the receiver, shortening servo wires, etc.

Flying

Takeoff & Landing

The Shake took off easily from a hand launch (as the provided skids won't work on grass or pavement) and needed only a few clicks of trim for flat & level flight at a reasonable throttle. Landing was as simple as slowing it down with a little high-alpha flight and plopping it down gently in the grass. In an indoor environment, getting a perfect 3-point touchdown should be easily obtainable.

Basic Flight

On the 3s pack, the Shake had more than enough power. In fact, too much throttle during some 3d maneuvers gave us some serious flutter that caused a nose dive into the dirt. So be gentle on the throttle until you fully learn the limits of this 7 ounce feather of a plane. On low rates and low throttle, the Shake flew the circuit effortlessly upright and inverted.

Aerobatics

On to what the Shake was made for...aerobatics! I setup triple rates with a fair amount of expo for all surfaces on one switch, and my pilot Alex stayed on low rates for the majority of the flights for smooth patterns. We upped the expo on the 2nd flight, as he said it was pretty twitchy even on low rate. He was very impressed with it's flying, saying it didn't feel like a 7 ounce foamie, more like a balsa plane...and very precise! The Shake handled everything he threw at it with grace...from slow pattern rolls, loops and spins, to high-action 3d rolling loops, hovers and snaps. There is a TON of throw on the surfaces at full deflection, so don't be afraid to huck around after practicing your pattern moves. :)

Flight Photos Continued

Flight Video

Hacker Shake - RCGroups Review (11 min 13 sec)

Summary

Hits

• Perfectly cut foam, including the slots needed for the flat CF
  • Nicely pre-printed attractive design
  • CF reinforcements well thought-out
  • Every step pictured in manual
  • All pieces interlock well
  • Flies light & precise, tracks well

Misses

• Could use a little more foam in the nose for support
  • Slots for rudder/elevator control rod support brackets hard to locate

While oddly named, Hacker has made a very nice pattern foamie in the Shake. A 7 oz plane won't turn many heads for most serious F3P competitors, but it could prove as a good practice plane, or entry level plane for someone looking to get into F3P pattern aerobatics. More weight could be shaved off of components & wiring to bring it closer to the typical weight class of competitive F3P airplanes. It certainly has enough power for outdoor flying, but you'll be fighting more than flying if it gets breezy. Indoor flying on a lighter battery would be a lot of fun. For such a light plane, it didn't feel like a typical foamie in the air. It was light, crisp and precise...exactly what you need for precision pattern aerobatics! If you've been thinking of getting into indoor pattern, the Hacker Shake is a durable model and a great option to get you started.

*Thanks to Alex Fredrickson for piloting on video!

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jan 04, 2017 at 10:05 AM..
Old Jan 05, 2017, 05:34 AM
Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Currently used F3P competition models weigh approx. 50g:

https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...Data-Sheet.jpg

Even for the newly promoted "F3P-Sport Limited" class, 135g would be still rather far away from the 100g minimum weight Limit of 100g.

Jürgen
Old Jan 05, 2017, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Thanks for those stats! I thought there might be some heavier weight classes, but guess not! I figured it would be heavy for competition, but might be a viable option for a durable f3p practice plane that could be flown outdoors in fair conditions.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z
Old Jan 05, 2017, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by Finnspeed
F3A Team Finland
Since this plane is about the same size and material as the Click! NG/R2, it should be possible to build it close to the same weight range, using the correct equipment. I'd like to see someone try that. However, I'm not sure what the designer wanted to achieve since the plane seems to have some air brakes but otherwise the styling and proportions are closer to a 3D machine.

3S works for outdoors and maybe AM class if you need the extra power but for pattern, 2S is the only option in this weight range.

Hopefully we will see Hacker Model release more planes for F3P pattern. This one looks like a fun 3D plane but does not yet challenge the latest Click in pattern.
Old Jan 06, 2017, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
... Hopefully we will see Hacker Model release more planes for F3P pattern. This one looks like a fun 3D plane but does not yet challenge the latest Click in pattern.
I agree ... the F3P scene could do with some affordable models for entry level / intermediate level.

Jürgen
Old Jan 06, 2017, 08:38 AM
Find More Posts by Nikolei Zinsli
If it's R/C, I LIKE IT!
Yeah, a 2s pack and choice equipment could get it in the Click range. I'll likely try a 2s when I get a chance to see how the power is, since 3s was really too much for it to handle at full throttle. Thanks for your comments!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 93" AJ Laser 230z