Dec 13, 2016, 10:55 PM
Right, so I am discovering that my collection of actual woodworking tools, sucks. Really, it is just non existent...

Picked up some hardware and borrowed a chop saw from my neighbor. Setup a stop on the saw so I could get the bits all exactly the same length. Worked well. Knocked out all my cuts (for now anyways) in a few minutes. Of course I will need more wood later to make enough clamps for a larger boat. And to replace the one I tried to make tonight...

A cordless drill just can't drill these pieces with any precision. I need high speed and very slow steady pressure to keep the bit from walking inside the boards. I would have it perfectly aligned on one side, drill as straight as possible, and bad walk out the other. I am going to have to pick up a drill press soon.

EDIT: Okay grabbed a bigger/faster drill and having better luck. I am having to drill it all oversized to compensate for the less than ideal accuracy. And using the first one I messed up (now redrilled) as a drilling guide.
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Dec 13, 2016 at 11:55 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2016, 02:10 AM
It didn't turn out perfect, but the alignment jig is all square at least. Now it needs to be mounted to the board, and a fixture made for the side laser. Or somehow add that onto the side of this maybe....

Not sure. It is a pain to line things up as the jig has to first "check itself." A pain that could be mostly solved with the aluminim t-slot system.

Drill press would have really made a huge difference. Nothing is as even as it should be. The uprights were glued, squared, then bolted. I have cushions on the clamps, but due to putting them towards the top, I can't put a cushion the jig itself, or it throws the alignment out tilting it a degree to the right.... I will use a layer or two of blue tape, center the clamps, or make them double wide.
Last edited by BiggsDarkLighter; Dec 14, 2016 at 02:19 AM.
Dec 14, 2016, 09:07 AM
Talk about making something simple a way more complex!
That white piece of mdf at the front of the bench is all I've ever needed for a build jig.
Probably built 30 boats with no more than a board with a centre line, couple cheap 1,2,3 blocks and good metal rulers.
In the background there is a Laerke 65, 24" lobster boat, Whiplash sport hydro and a 1/10 scale Miss Wahoo, also my P spec tunnel hull.
Dec 14, 2016, 11:03 AM
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/barton...0?recordNum=11

I've though about using some sail/jib tracks... to build something thats very reapatable. but never got around to it. I've been using a solid core fire rated door for my building space figure its gotta be pretty true
Dec 14, 2016, 11:40 AM
The wind is free, go sailing!
One word - Slatwall
Dec 14, 2016, 12:48 PM
Well it took me all night to get Razor 003 lined up. And maybe two on the Sparrow. I simply couldn't hold, adjust, measure, and repeat all at once. Plus trying to adjust fin to waterline etc.

This took me almost an evening to knock out, but should let me get a boat aligned and secured in an hour or two. And lined up square.

Plus, I can now take exact angle measurements on fin, rudder, and mast rake.

Is it overkill? Definitely. But it is overkill that makes my life much easier. And just wait until I finish it!!!

The real test will be tonight. If it helps me get the other two hulls setup quickly, it will have been worth the effort!
Dec 14, 2016, 01:03 PM
Thomas Armstrong
My Footy alignment jig:

Dec 14, 2016, 02:24 PM
tarm.....
two paint stirrer sticks and a couple small spring clamps. clamp the two stirring sticks together
so the keel and rudder are between the two sticks. this will guarantee that the foils are in the same plane port to starboard.
Dec 14, 2016, 04:26 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcsmith
tarm.....
two paint stirrer sticks and a couple small spring clamps. clamp the two stirring sticks together
so the keel and rudder are between the two sticks. this will guarantee that the foils are in the same plane port to starboard.
Don't worry - intention was to show that quick & dirty approach sometimes works... I must clarify that the rudder is a little loos inside the post on these boats, so no precision alignment was needed anyway... These Footy's were built as fast as possible with available materials... goal was to sail next Saturday!
Dec 14, 2016, 04:42 PM
W Kuhns
Hans Berger is excellent at making jigs.
Dec 14, 2016, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
My Footy alignment jig:

I should build one of those .....
Dec 14, 2016, 10:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzway
I should build one of those .....
You definitely should, those particular kits are quite well done, quick to build and fun to sail ....... Too bad they are out of production , but I've heard that the guys who was manufacturing them may have some left in stock.
Dec 14, 2016, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsdarklighter
is it overkill?
Go for it. THERE'S NO THRILL LIKE OVERKILL!
Dec 15, 2016, 07:32 AM
K.I.S.S. Best rule ever.
Dec 15, 2016, 11:55 AM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corbett
K.I.S.S. Best rule ever.
Along with RTFM