American Champion Scout - RC Groups
Dec 11, 2016, 09:08 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Build Log

American Champion Scout

Starting a an old school minor kit bash,,

A few year ago I was at the Midwest regional float fly and was luck enough to win a set of 36" Floats from "plane fun floats", normally I'd probably just sold the float as I don't really fly much in this size, but since I consider Ralph a person freind I just couldn't sell of what felt like a gift.

So what to build?? Took some thinking, but I decided on a simple AC Scout, It will be a kit bash based on a Sig Citabria kit, and it will be electric power,, I'm pretty much done with glow

First thing after ironing out the folds was to draw up the wing extension,, a scout has about an 8% wider wingspan so I'll extend it to about 75" span and add flaps
Latest blog entry: Charge station
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2016, 06:29 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Started the glue up

I dislike the way you have to slide the ribs over the spars, now way to pin things down easy, so I used a scrap piece and a drywall screw to hold things down flat
Dec 12, 2016, 08:38 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Good thing I have spare balsa around, the leading edge pieces don't look to good
Dec 12, 2016, 11:32 AM
boat butcher

Mark
Jan 02, 2017, 10:43 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
No I didn't give up,, Lost motivation for a while but got back at it the other day,, finished up the top side of both wings

Hits and misses so far,,,

Die cutting is clean but not all the way through the 3/32 ribs,, takes a lot of free hand clean up with a #11 blade to be able to slide over the spars,, which is also a system I don't care for.

a few more pics

more
Feb 05, 2017, 09:51 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Both wings ready to join, Model work has been slow, been finishing a couple bathroom remodels,, and starting two more next week,, I did get the flaps and ailerons frame and hinged though. Hard points for servo hatches in too
Feb 12, 2017, 10:29 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Fuse and Stab/Ele moving along,, time to clean up the work space again
Mar 18, 2017, 06:16 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Getting a little work done here and there, made the servo hatch/holders and ran the wire, will be soldered extensions, a little more progress on the fuse too.

Going to try and get more done this weekend
Mar 23, 2017, 08:30 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
A few more pics,

Hard point for rear float attach point added

Rudder/Fin built

Wing joined

Kit calls for 3" tire/wheels,, the 5" Tundra tires might be a little too much,, or not

Debating adding a lighting system, I had bought one for a future build
Mar 24, 2017, 10:31 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
The stock kit uses a wire brace system to support the wing saddle, that wire extends into a ply plate to hold the wing in the front, after installing it and with it having a tight toloerance, there was still some wobble at that point seems to me that would only get worse over time,, so I added a couple 1/4" dowels to eliminate the wobble.. They hide nicely behind the fairing blocks
Mar 28, 2017, 03:23 PM
MAAC SAVED RC!!
Nice build. I dont have the patience to build kits. Good to see kit build is still alive
Mar 28, 2017, 04:30 PM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Tnx, I haven't built one in several years,, it's been kinda fun although I'm going slower than I used to.

Mocked up the motor box and mount the motor,, I'm setting the spacing of the fire wall so a gas motor can be used in the future,, had these stand offs for years so I'm putting them to use.

When I first mounted the motor it seemed heavy,, but I think it will balance out fine.
May 22, 2017, 06:39 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Jigged up with the stock gear to find step location

I thought it was sitting a little low so o decided to go with a more scale like arrangement.. this of course means allot more work

Anchor point being fabricated . Pics tell the story
Jun 08, 2017, 11:24 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
Still going along slowly.. I decided to do a simple mount instead. I fabrocated taller than stock gear.

Should be ready for fabric soon
Nov 10, 2017, 07:25 AM
Me Likey Scale Planes
I don't know why, but I had this up for sale,,, no taker since there are so few builder around here,,
Anyway,, covering has begun

White Solartex going on