Thread Tools
Dec 09, 2017, 10:52 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
YA know Otto ....
If you toook enough pix of that thing and addaed a few dimension I could Likely "DO the Kit"
well b4 next seasons' clamor for it ! :>}

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 11, 2017, 12:08 PM
Registered User
For blue insulation foam:
Try McAuthar building products
They are nation wide
I purchased foam from them
when I lived in Orting Washington
Google them
walt b
Dec 15, 2017, 04:10 PM
Thread OP

New Video


Happy Holidays!!!

Santa's Sleigh Drone Spotted Flying Over San Diego by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 53 sec)
Jan 04, 2018, 10:28 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Just seeing this, man that is just incredible Otto, I've gotta have one! Santa really moves along pretty good I noticed, what was the reaction from the crowd? If you get the dimensions to Bob I'll place an order ASAP. I've gotta have one of these things going before next Christmas, my daughter is 6 and only has a couple more Christmas's left before she learns the "truth".
Jan 04, 2018, 10:30 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay
YA know Otto ....
If you toook enough pix of that thing and addaed a few dimension I could Likely "DO the Kit"
well b4 next seasons' clamor for it ! :>}

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Please stay on him Bob! (ha) I will be the first customer and place an order for a kit ASAP.
Jan 05, 2018, 07:55 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
Otto, You heard it here !

Take a couple pix and gimme some dims and 2018 will be THE YEAR OF THE SLEIGH !

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Jan 05, 2018, 11:36 AM
Thread OP

Status


Santa's Sleigh handles fine in the air now that I calmed down the Rudolf oscillations.

The issue that keeps me from publishing a build log or having Bob cut the parts is the fact that with the several Snoopy Doghouse purchases that have occurred, nobody has had a successful flight.

The sleigh handles about the same but breaks on landing about 60% of the time. It is just large and awkward and yaw control is muted at very slow speeds. The setup is the same as the Doghouse but the ESCs and Motors are larger.

Storage is the other item. The sleigh is 6 ft and almost a 3 x 4 x 6 box. The Rudolf support is carbon fiber and with recent mods, expensive by my standards ($100). Rudolf is also good sized. Total material costs will be in the $500 range before you buy the foam from Bob.

I am probably going to cut mine up for storage until next Xmas and then glue back together.
Jan 05, 2018, 09:11 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach
Santa's Sleigh handles fine in the air now that I calmed down the Rudolf oscillations.

The issue that keeps me from publishing a build log or having Bob cut the parts is the fact that with the several Snoopy Doghouse purchases that have occurred, nobody has had a successful flight.

The sleigh handles about the same but breaks on landing about 60% of the time. It is just large and awkward and yaw control is muted at very slow speeds. The setup is the same as the Doghouse but the ESCs and Motors are larger.

Storage is the other item. The sleigh is 6 ft and almost a 3 x 4 x 6 box. The Rudolf support is carbon fiber and with recent mods, expensive by my standards ($100). Rudolf is also good sized. Total material costs will be in the $500 range before you buy the foam from Bob.

I am probably going to cut mine up for storage until next Xmas and then glue back together.
I understand your hesitation Otto but I am not above begging! If I may let me throw out my RC resume' and see if that would persuade you to let me give it a try: I've been flying planes since I was 12 (I'm 43 now) so for over 30 years. Like you, my passion is classic pattern planes, I'm currently flying a Curare and Magic. I also love anything that goes fast, I have a Sig Kobra with pipe and retracts that was clocked at almost 150mph. Last weekend I flew my Electifly Evader EDF jet in 7 degree weather, challenging to say the least as this little jet will keep you on your toes. I've also been flying helicopters for almost 10 years now. (T-Rex 600 nitro, electric and Trex 550) I'd say I'm an above average sport flyer with some mild 3D thrown in for good measure. I am CONFIDENT I will be successful in flying the Santa Sleigh, in fact I guarantee it! On top of this I am a professional photographer. I have over 10K in cameras/lenses, I will give you some outstanding shots of your Santa Sleigh in the air!

I have to admit storage is a bit of a concern but we just bought a new house with a very large/deep garage. My plan it to hang it up in the back corner of the garage and remove the reindeer for better storage. The cost is right in line with what I had expected, that won't be an issue. So, pretty please, can you give me a shot at building and flying the sleigh?

PS: Dick Suffuletta has built one of your Snoopy Doghouses and lives close by. I told him I'll help him get it in the air this spring.

For fun, some pics from last week's numb thumb flying: https://www.facebook.com/pg/LMACKENT...82258111795074

My photography FB page: https://www.facebook.com/movingartsmedia/

Also love making videos: (Stryker combat)
(5 min 6 sec)
Last edited by cannondale1974; Jan 05, 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Jun 27, 2018, 11:49 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
I have finally had time to do the drawings for Otto's Santa Sleigh.
Some parts are unusually large and from 1/2" thick foam.

Moreover, as Otto pointed out, HIS storage box is quite large
and a Shipping box for CNC cut parts of this size would have similar dimension.

So my question is ...

How many of the prospective buiders will be willing to pay the extra cost of
a Large box ( ~ $6-8) and associated shipping ( likely $30-50 ) ?
Last edited by birdofplay; Jun 27, 2018 at 08:29 PM.
Nov 08, 2019, 09:20 PM
Registered User
Just bumping this topic. What ever happened to this project? Definitely would be interested
Nov 09, 2019, 12:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket_33
Just bumping this topic. What ever happened to this project? Definitely would be interested
It was cool to have and flew alright in the air but almost always needed repair between flights due to landing difficulties. It was also very large and took up a lot of space, so I retired it from the fleet. I probably should have kept it since I had many event opportunities last Christmas.
Nov 09, 2019, 07:54 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
After a CAD study I had to agree with Otto's assessment.
The ROI was just not going to be "there".

Plus, It was going to be a shipping nightmare , even before the recent rate hikes.

Sorry for the bad news rocket_33,
but, as you can see
there have been NO replys to the question posed , in post 69,
since July of 2018 except yours just yesterday.

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools