Thread Tools
Jan 10, 2017, 12:18 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Anymore updates to this Otto? Maybe some night pics with the lights.

Did you say you will be selling a kit of this in 2017?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2017, 02:02 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Anymore updates to this Otto? Maybe some night pics with the lights.

Did you say you will be selling a kit of this in 2017?
No kit. Still in testing. Will fly one more day then put away until November. Night lights will be in November.
Oct 20, 2017, 01:05 AM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Any updates on this Otto? Christmas is around the corner.
Oct 20, 2017, 01:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Any updates on this Otto? Christmas is around the corner.
Witch and then Sleigh after Halloween.
Oct 20, 2017, 08:53 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Witch and then Sleigh after Halloween.
Will you market the flying Santa sleigh kit?
Oct 20, 2017, 09:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Will you market the flying Santa sleigh kit?
Not unless I think it is flying well. The sleigh handles great but the Deer creates some oscillations that I need to resolve.
Oct 22, 2017, 02:51 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Not unless I think it is flying well. The sleigh handles great but the Deer creates some oscillations that I need to resolve.
I'd love to purchase one, even if the deer isn't perfected. My daughter is 6 and son is 1 1/2, I need to get something like this in the air before they are too old. Maybe I could play around with design some myself and help overcome some of the idiosyncrasies? I've been wanting to build something like this for several years now but never had a starting point. Yours is perfect!

(FWIW) I've been flying for 30 years now, mostly pattern stuff. Just put the maiden on an old Curare yesterday. I fly helicopters too so that should help some I'd imagine.
Oct 22, 2017, 03:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
I'd love to purchase one, even if the deer isn't perfected. My daughter is 6 and son is 1 1/2, I need to get something like this in the air before they are too old. Maybe I could play around with design some myself and help overcome some of the idiosyncrasies? I've been wanting to build something like this for several years now but never had a starting point. Yours is perfect!

(FWIW) I've been flying for 30 years now, mostly pattern stuff. Just put the maiden on an old Curare yesterday. I fly helicopters too so that should help some I'd imagine.
We've communicated before. Big into old pattern myself. I think you should look to next Christmas. There is a lot of cost in the electronics and it is different than the Doghouse. Do you have a source for 1/2 inch polystyrene foam 4 x 8? People that have tackled the Doghouse have not had a lot of success so I want to be sure this is as good or better and it just isn't there yet. You will also need a source for 5mm Depron.
Oct 23, 2017, 03:05 PM
Registered User
cannondale1974's Avatar
One of your Snoopy doghouse customers (Dick Suffoletta) is a member at our club and whom I know fairly well.  I just sent him an email and will pick his brain about the availability of 1/2 inch polystyrene foam 4 x 8 and 5mm depron.  I'm sure I can source it somewhere, Lexington is a fairly large town.  It would be incredible to get started on this project!  Maybe I can have it ready for Christmas 2018   

Thanks again Otto, will stay in touch. 
Oct 25, 2017, 07:27 PM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
MPF is pretty close to 5mm thick.

Almost any Lows HoDPot Menards will have the EXP, beaded foam sheeting.

I do not have the plans from Otto for this one ... yet.

Bob @ Hoosier Cutout Service
Dec 03, 2017, 12:46 PM
Thread OP

Super Moon flight 12/3/17 with Reuters


Did some flight testing yesterday on changes I made to the Sleigh and Rudolf. The changes greatly improved the flight handling and made this mornings flight possible.

Moonset today was at 6:23a and sunrise was at 6:34. It was overcast leaving my house at 5 to drive 20 minutes up the coast to Dave's Beach in Carlsbad. Bill Paul, Walter Wallenborn, Vince Cavataio and Mike Blake (Reuters) met me at the cliff.

As you can see, Mike took some great shots.
Dec 08, 2017, 11:56 AM
Registered User
Otto
where did you hide the motor and prop
You did a great job of hiding them
A great project con gratulations
walt b
Dec 08, 2017, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by walt b View Post
Otto
where did you hide the motor and prop
You did a great job of hiding them
A great project con gratulations
walt b
Here are some other early morning shots taken at Dave's Beach in Carlsbad. One shows the Quad but it also has internal flying surfaces to the rear, much like my Snoopy Doghouse. Thank you.
Dec 08, 2017, 12:38 PM
Thread OP

Additional Dave's Beach pictures


Here are the pics I referenced in the response above.
Dec 09, 2017, 10:50 AM
Retired CAD guy
birdofplay's Avatar
Ahhh :>} , Daves Beach !

Lots of fun memorys as it's a great place to fly.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools