Dec 14, 2016, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Right now the total flying weight is right at 8 pounds. The issue of more Reindeer is structural. Rudolf wobbles a little now and a longer arm would wobble and weigh more. Two side by side would work but you'd lose the Rudolf effect. Rudolf's nose is lit and I plan to deck it out with LEDs for night flight. Baby steps and I'm learning a lot with each one.
Wow, 8 pounds is quite a bit, but then again it is 12 feet long! I'm sure it's quite an undertaking, it will be a huge crowd pleaser during the holiday season!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 15, 2016, 08:53 PM
Thread OP

New Video

New footage.

Santa Claus & Rudolf 12 ft Flying Sleigh Drone by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 34 sec)
Dec 16, 2016, 01:09 PM
Just fantastic Otto, very good video production too! I'm going to build the Snoopy doghouse first to get my feet wet. Been in the hobby for 30+ years and your designs are the most excited I've been about something in a while.
Dec 17, 2016, 01:11 AM
This is my experimental santa for 2x 7mm motors.
Dec 17, 2016, 02:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrexcel View Post
That's fun.
Dec 17, 2016, 07:26 AM
Foamy Builder 167
Quote:
Do you have any more details of this little cutie?

Neal
Dec 17, 2016, 07:45 AM
I actually test flew it with 2x 6mm coreless motors and it was plenty of power for this 33 inch Santa. But it always trying to roll to one side. Should I add some kind of vertical stabilizer Otto?

What kind of details you are looking for Neal?
Dec 17, 2016, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
I actually test flew it with 2x 6mm coreless motors and it was plenty of power for this 33 inch Santa. But it always trying to roll to one side. Should I add some kind of vertical stabilizer Otto?

How many motors and were they counter rotating?
Dec 17, 2016, 09:31 AM
Foamy Builder 167
What kind of details you are looking for Neal?[/QUOTE]

I was curious if this was lighter than air and what electronics are used such as receiver, battery and motor controllers.
Dec 17, 2016, 10:14 AM
Quote:
How many motors and were they counter rotating?
2 motors and they were counter rotating
Dec 17, 2016, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNeal View Post
I was curious if this was lighter than air and what electronics are used such as receiver, battery and motor controllers.[/QUOTE]

This is not filled with Helium. I am using a Detltang rx with a 150mAh battery spinning 2x 6mm motors .
Dec 17, 2016, 10:40 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
2 motors and they were counter rotating
Then it is not torque so you need a little vertical tail if it doesn't track straight.
Dec 17, 2016, 12:02 PM
Quote:
Then it is not torque so you need a little vertical tail if it doesn't track straight.
I also thought the same.
Dec 20, 2016, 12:42 PM
We need more pics on the Flying Santa and Sleigh Otto! Are you going to outline the sleigh, reindeer and Santa with lights? Would be really cool to see this flying over a neighborhood at night.
Dec 24, 2016, 03:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
We need more pics on the Flying Santa and Sleigh Otto! Are you going to outline the sleigh, reindeer and Santa with lights? Would be really cool to see this flying over a neighborhood at night.
Sleigh will be outlined with spot lights on Santa and Rudolf.

Quick Reply