Dec 12, 2016, 08:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Looks like it could use some corrections to get rid of the high alpha look in flight.

Ken
Right now flying at high alpha to keep the q low. I'll open up the flight envelope after I get the first videos in the can. I'm concerned about flutter and structural issues if they exist. A step at a time.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 12, 2016, 08:35 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend View Post
Could always have the reindeer slope down instead of up the way I have them. What would be really cool is figuring out a way to have the reindeer undulate up and down in a sine wave pattern.

Maybe just different starting points and a servo tester on repeat mode?

Otto, what controls are you using to have your Santa wave?
This year the arm is fixed. The objective was to see if I could get it to fly and that has been accomplished. The nose is lit and I plan more LEDs, a waving arm and Santa in 3D..... also a big bag of presents. Baby steps right now and some fun.
Dec 13, 2016, 01:13 PM
Fantastic Job so far Otto! Can't wait to see some in-flight video.

ps: Can you bring this to Kentucky and fly it for my kids and their friends?
Dec 13, 2016, 02:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Fantastic Job so far Otto! Can't wait to see some in-flight video.

ps: Can you bring this to Kentucky and fly it for my kids and their friends?
If you pay for the rental minivan to carry it and reimburse expenses. Merry Christmas!
Dec 13, 2016, 02:51 PM
Thread OP

Good flight today

Video should be up later. Great day but I got a little low on recovery and we broke a few items during the hand catch. Easy fixes just couldn't do the second flight with airborne quad coverage. We'll do that Thursday.
Dec 13, 2016, 09:45 PM
Thread OP

Christmas Flying Sleigh Video

OK. Here it is. Fun day. Merry Christmas!

RC Flying Santa's Sleigh with Rudolf Drone by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 23 sec)
Dec 13, 2016, 09:55 PM
Ken's CAD Models
That was great! Loads of fun.

Ken
Dec 13, 2016, 11:57 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Wow that looks really good! Flys much better than I ever would have thought too....great job!
Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Dec 14, 2016, 08:01 AM
Foamy Builder 167
Rudolph has enough strength for VTO! Go Rudolph!

That was a great video.
Dec 14, 2016, 09:47 AM
Awesome job Elf Otto!!!

Another incredibly creative flying object.
Dec 14, 2016, 02:52 PM
That was beyond awesome. I'm gonna have to build one Otto, when will kits be available? Looks like you can make anything fly with that vertical quad setup!

Oh, I was laughing so hard at the vertical takeoff! Santa has some horsepower.
Dec 14, 2016, 03:43 PM
Retired CAD guy
Otto is working on a 3D version Santa, just now

Kits ? , ahhh , well , errr, I think we missed this seasons' window of opportunity.
Dec 14, 2016, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Otto is working on a 3D version Santa, just now

Kits ? , ahhh , well , errr, I think we missed this seasons' window of opportunity.

I'm planning for next year Seriously though, I've been wanting to build something like this since my daughter was born 5 years ago. A giant flying santa w/sleigh and reindeer with a bunch of LED lights. Would be a huge hit with the kids! Would be neat to put a speaker system in it with santa saying "Ho, Ho, Ho". Gotta watch the weight though I'm sure.
Dec 14, 2016, 04:04 PM
Also, what are the thoughts on adding more reindeer? Would it throw off the CG too much?
Dec 14, 2016, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannondale1974 View Post
Also, what are the thoughts on adding more reindeer? Would it throw off the CG too much?
Right now the total flying weight is right at 8 pounds. The issue of more Reindeer is structural. Rudolf wobbles a little now and a longer arm would wobble and weigh more. Two side by side would work but you'd lose the Rudolf effect. Rudolf's nose is lit and I plan to deck it out with LEDs for night flight. Baby steps and I'm learning a lot with each one.

Quick Reply