Dec 10, 2016, 09:55 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Santa's Sleigh with Rudolf

A project that I have had many requests for, and decided to tackle, is Santa's Sleigh and Reindeer.

After two years of thinking through the issues, I can report a successful pair of flights yesterday. The first without Rudolf and the second with. On the first flight, Santa lost his waving arm and that has been repaired.

I've begun the painting process and hope to fly in full dress next Tuesday, weather permitting. Yes, Rudolf will have a bright LED lit red nose.

Just some specs: 4 ft tall, 12 ft long, 26 inches wide, flying weight 5.5 pounds. Powered and controlled like my TARDIS and Doghouse.

Better video. No Old Scary Elf.

Santa Claus & Rudolf 12 ft Flying Sleigh Drone by Otto Dieffenbach (0 min 34 sec)

RC Flying Santa's Sleigh with Rudolf Drone by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 23 sec)
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Dec 15, 2016 at 08:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2016, 12:31 PM
LOL very cool.
Dec 10, 2016, 12:55 PM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Video amd detail pics please!!!

Latest blog entry: Canola Huckin'
Dec 10, 2016, 06:19 PM
How cool is that!!!

Looking forward to seeing video in full paint.
Dec 10, 2016, 11:11 PM
Thread OP

First flight

We have lots of video to review handling and flight characteristics. If I posted it, it would go viral and nobody would look at it dressed up next week. Patience, I hope, will be rewarded.
Dec 11, 2016, 05:14 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Nicely done!

Ken
Dec 12, 2016, 03:14 PM
Thread OP

First Flight Painted Tomorrow

Just thought I'd share some pictures of the Sleigh painted. Tomorrow is camera day and the 3rd and 4th flights.
Dec 12, 2016, 03:26 PM
Awesome!

My grandkids would love it.
Dec 12, 2016, 03:27 PM
Foamy Builder 167
Are there supposed to be more reindeer? I thought there were Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and a few more. I can’t remember how the song goes.

All kidding aside I saw one of these a few years ago and I got a big kick out of it. Great job.

Neal
Dec 12, 2016, 03:34 PM
Haha, that's gigantic! I thought the 8 foot version of this I'm building was going to be huge.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-and-Reindeer

Santa's Sleigh 50 Inch Maiden Flight 11 22 16 (4 min 27 sec)

What are you using for material? Sounds like yours will be nice and light. According to my calculations, the big version of my design is probably going to be 6-7 lbs using 1" pink foam and a bit of wood.
Dec 12, 2016, 05:03 PM
Ken's CAD Models
Looks like it could use some corrections to get rid of the high alpha look in flight.

Ken
Dec 12, 2016, 05:05 PM
Looking good Otto
Last edited by H8Monday; Dec 12, 2016 at 05:12 PM.
Dec 12, 2016, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Looks like it could use some corrections to get rid of the high alpha look in flight.

Ken
Could always have the reindeer slope down instead of up the way I have them. What would be really cool is figuring out a way to have the reindeer undulate up and down in a sine wave pattern.

Maybe just different starting points and a servo tester on repeat mode?

Otto, what controls are you using to have your Santa wave?
Dec 12, 2016, 08:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCNeal
Are there supposed to be more reindeer? I thought there were Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and a few more. I canít remember how the song goes.

All kidding aside I saw one of these a few years ago and I got a big kick out of it. Great job.

Neal
Since this is just a tune up flight in preparation for the big night, only one reindeer was needed. He only has to pull it around the field a couple times and doesn't like being with those that laugh and call him names.
Dec 12, 2016, 08:29 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by localfiend
Haha, that's gigantic! I thought the 8 foot version of this I'm building was going to be huge.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...h-and-Reindeer

https://youtu.be/dxujb3yuVyk

What are you using for material? Sounds like yours will be nice and light. According to my calculations, the big version of my design is probably going to be 6-7 lbs using 1" pink foam and a bit of wood.
Painted, my flying weight is 8 pounds exactly. I have 1/2 inch sheet polystyrene, carbon fiber, Depron and a little wood.

Quick Reply