Future Model 47" scale Edge with same awesome stiff skin as 38" version - NEW VIDEOS - RC Groups
Dec 09, 2016, 10:00 PM
How many planes is too many?
New Product

Future Model 47" scale Edge with same awesome stiff skin as 38" version - NEW VIDEOS

Hey guys,

It was mentioned on the Future Model 38" Edge thread that a large 47" version was undergoing flight testing. The flight testing was a success and it has entered production!

Both the 38" version and the 47" version use an awesome airframe skin material that is very stiff and light. The airframe skin is a thin 2-3mm layer of polypropylene (PP), which makes it stiffer than a traditional 38" or 48" hybrid EPP plane. The rest of the construction is similar to a typical 38" or 48" hybrid EPP plane, but the new skin gives it a more crisp and precise flight feel.

The 38" Edge has quickly become my favourite 38" hybrid. It's like having a small 3D balsa plane in a size and weight class that AFAIK doesn't exist in the 3D balsa world.

I just placed an order for the 47" Edge, thought it probably won't ship for a couple of weeks..

EDIT 30 Jan 2017: Here are some videos of my 47" Edge.

Future Model 47" Edge 540T PP - Flight 2 - Innovative new skin material breakthrough (2 min 55 sec)

Future Model 47" Edge 540T PP - innovative new skin material breakthrough (2 min 26 sec)

Here are some videos of the 47" Edge from China. You might need to rotate your monitor or turn your head on its side to watch the portrait orientation video if you're not watching on mobile device.

Future Model PP 47"EDGE540T (7 min 16 sec)

Future Model PP 47"EDGE540T Night flying (1 min 54 sec)

Here are a few pictures of the 47" Edge. I ordered a red one .
Last edited by groovejet; Jan 30, 2017 at 04:44 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2016, 01:45 AM
IMK
IMK
That looks great. Thanks for sharing.
Dec 12, 2016, 08:00 PM
.....and that's why I crashed
Very nice. Where can I get one!
Dec 15, 2016, 05:35 AM
I ordered mine from Future Model. Contact details are at the top of this page, which is Future Model's online shop portal https://wl-model.world.taobao.com/. Alternatively, you can sign up on that page and place an order. Hint: Use a language translator to convert it to English.
Jan 17, 2017, 01:27 AM

It's here!!!

I received a large parcel today. It's the Future Model 47" Edge 540T PP .

I fully expect this larger 47" PP Edge to have a more crisp and precise flight feel than the 47"/48" EPP hybrids, since it has the same PP airframe skin as the awesome 38" version. I totally love the 38" version. The new PP airframe skin is really great stuff. The 38" version has a more crisp and precise flight feel than any of the 38" scale EPP hybrid planes, so I expect the larger 47" version to be even more of the same
Jan 17, 2017, 08:58 AM
That is awesome Groovejet! Look forward to your flight report. Does the PP airframe seem more rigid than the EPP hybrid airframes? EPP is stretchy. The monocote used on balsa planes probably adds a lot of strength to the airframe in terms of rigidity. Wonder if the PP skin makes the airframe more rigid than EPP airframes? .....
Jan 19, 2017, 02:18 AM
Valley Flyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejet
I ordered mine from Future Model. Contact details are at the top of this page, which is Future Model's online shop portal https://wl-model.world.taobao.com/. Alternatively, you can sign up on that page and place an order. Hint: Use a language translator to convert it to English.
Have just placed an order for mine. Was unable to complete the purchase on the Taobao web site due to the English language translation feature failing to work correctly on the final payment stage.

Instead took Groovejet's advice and contacted Future Models directly on futuremodel@qq.com, Mr Ding of Future Models was very helpful and accepted payment on their PayPal account 401587791@qq.com

ie:- Contact Mr Ding and request a quote (again took Groovejet's advice and requested EMS Post delivery).
Jan 25, 2017, 05:14 AM
Hi Gian. Congrats on possibly being the second person outside of China to purchase one of these planes . Hopefully it managed to ship prior to the Chinese New Year holiday.

I have almost finished building my kit. Something to be aware of: The main wings, ailerons, horizontal stabiliser, elevator and rudder have an EPS (polystyrene) foam core, which regular CA glue will eat. Keep this in mind when gluing the hinges and control horns . I am currently filling a few cavities under the skin where CA glue ate away the EPS foam core .
Jan 26, 2017, 01:39 AM
Another thing to consider:

I was concerned that the elevator pushrod seemed a bit shorter relative to the other pushrods, since the ball links did not screw on as much as on the other pushrods. I had also noticed that the horizontal stabiliser didn't slide as far forward as I expected. Despite it looking like a photo from China on this thread, I decided to remove a few millimetres of wood from the front of the slot in the fuselage that the horizontal stabilisers slides into. This allows the horizontal stabiliser to be positioned slightly further forward, hence allowing me to screw the ball links further onto the pushrod. I've attached a photo that was already on this thread that shows the gap at the front of the horizontal stabiliser, as well as showing the elevator hinge line is perhaps further back than ideal. Since modding my kit there is no gap in front of the horizontal stabiliser. Another option I had considered was leaving the gap and coating the pushrod in epoxy glue at both ends before threading on the ball links. That would've strengthened the connections, but not allowed the ball links to be adjusted. Removing the gap is an easy mod and isn't essential, but I felt more comfortable doing it than leaving things alone.
Jan 27, 2017, 02:49 AM
Valley Flyer
Quote:
Another thing to consider:

I was concerned that the elevator pushrod seemed a bit shorter relative to the other pushrods, since the ball links did not screw on as much as on the other pushrods. I had also noticed that the horizontal stabiliser didn't slide as far forward as I expected. Despite it looking like a photo from China on this thread, I decided to remove a few millimetres of wood from the front of the slot in the fuselage that the horizontal stabilisers slides into. This allows the horizontal stabiliser to be positioned slightly further forward, hence allowing me to screw the ball links further onto the pushrod. I've attached a photo that was already on this thread that shows the gap at the front of the horizontal stabiliser, as well as showing the elevator hinge line is perhaps further back than ideal. Since modding my kit there is no gap in front of the horizontal stabiliser. Another option I had considered was leaving the gap and coating the pushrod in epoxy glue at both ends before threading on the ball links. That would've strengthened the connections, but not allowed the ball links to be adjusted. Removing the gap is an easy mod and isn't essential, but I felt more comfortable doing it than leaving things alone.
Hi GJ,

Although not yet received I believe mine did ship prior to the start of the Chinese New Year holidays.

Also thanks for the tips, please keep them coming, like you, I think I will move the horizontal stab slightly forward and also find another type of adhesive to glue my hinges.

Cheers
Jan 27, 2017, 09:04 PM
Here's another tip:

The magnets on this plane for attaching the canopy and cowl are glued in place around their side edge circumference only - there is no wood behind the magnets to increase the bond strength. The magnets themself are quite powerful. I am sure you can can see where this is going ...........

The first or second time I detached the canopy, one of the magnets popped out of the fuselage and remained attached to the canopy. I glued it back in with lots of CA glue.

I flew the 47" PP Edge today. Lately I have been flying 38" planes only, so this 47" plane had a totally different feel. It was much floatier and definitely more stable. I spent most of the first flight trimming out the plane and trying a few different battery locations. When I landed the plane to swap batteries, I landed heavily and bent the wire landing gear a little. While securing the new battery, I noticed that the cowl was not in the correct position and that one of the magnets on the fuselage to secure the cowl had popped out of the fuselage and remained attached to the cowl. I didn't want to risk flying the plane again with a loose cowl in case the cowl moved forward into the path of the propeller. I spent the rest of the session flying the 38" PP Edge.

When I got home, I modified the 47" PP Edge to strengthen the cowl magnet bonds, so hopefully the cowl will stay in place from now on. Next time out I will have more to say about the plane, since it is trimmed pretty well now and I can focus on flight characteristics.
Jan 28, 2017, 03:09 AM
Valley Flyer
Quote:
Here's another tip:

The magnets on this plane for attaching the canopy and cowl are glued in place around their side edge circumference only - there is no wood behind the magnets to increase the bond strength. The magnets themself are quite powerful. I am sure you can can see where this is going ...........

The first or second time I detached the canopy, one of the magnets popped out of the fuselage and remained attached to the canopy. I glued it back in with lots of CA glue.

I flew the 47" PP Edge today. Lately I have been flying 38" planes only, so this 47" plane had a totally different feel. It was much floatier and definitely more stable. I spent most of the first flight trimming out the plane and trying a few different battery locations. When I landed the plane to swap batteries, I landed heavily and bent the wire landing gear a little. While securing the new battery, I noticed that the cowl was not in the correct position and that one of the magnets on the fuselage to secure the cowl had popped out of the fuselage and remained attached to the cowl. I didn't want to risk flying the plane again with a loose cowl in case the cowl moved forward into the path of the propeller. I spent the rest of the session flying the 38" PP Edge.

When I got home, I modified the 47" PP Edge to strengthen the cowl magnet bonds, so hopefully the cowl will stay in place from now on. Next time out I will have more to say about the plane, since it is trimmed pretty well now and I can focus on flight characteristics.
It is disappointing to read of basic problems like magnets coming unstuck and popping out of the fuselage like this, surely Future Models have been manufacturing these types of model for enough time now to nail this type of fault well and truly on the head. I cant remember any of my Skywings having this problem in recent times.

Your new tip is noted.

That said I am encouraged to hear that you have got your 47" PP Edge airborne, are you using 3S or 4S power?
Jan 28, 2017, 03:54 AM
Gian, I'm flying on my regular 3S setup: Scorpion 3020-890, Vox 14x7, PowerHD 2216MG, Zippy Flightmax 3S 2650 45C.

I don't think that the magnets are a big deal. Add some thin CA to the existing ones, or mod the kit similarly to what I did to add wood behind some of the magnets to glue them down more securely. I added a canopy tab (icypole stick) to make it easier to remove the canopy, since the magnets are really strong.

Nac and I have had magnet issues on a few Skywing kits, as well as some Winner's Model and Future Model kits. When you've had as many of these kits as Nac and I have had, you'll find a few issues now and then. At least the magnets on this kit are strong - I saw posts on the 3DHS EPP Extra V2 thread about canopies popping off in flight due to insufficient magnetic force holding them on. Then there are the magnet issues and canopy issues that Nac and I had with some of the PA kits we used to own. Imagine having to mod a PA kit to add extra magnets to stop the canopy from ejecting and breaking each time it fell to the ground. That really annoyed me .
Jan 28, 2017, 07:28 PM
Valley Flyer
Quote:
Gian, I'm flying on my regular 3S setup: Scorpion 3020-890, Vox 14x7, PowerHD 2216MG, Zippy Flightmax 3S 2650 45C.

I don't think that the magnets are a big deal. Add some thin CA to the existing ones, or mod the kit similarly to what I did to add wood behind some of the magnets to glue them down more securely. I added a canopy tab (icypole stick) to make it easier to remove the canopy, since the magnets are really strong.

Nac and I have had magnet issues on a few Skywing kits, as well as some Winner's Model and Future Model kits. When you've had as many of these kits as Nac and I have had, you'll find a few issues now and then. At least the magnets on this kit are strong - I saw posts on the 3DHS EPP Extra V2 thread about canopies popping off in flight due to insufficient magnetic force holding them on. Then there are the magnet issues and canopy issues that Nac and I had with some of the PA kits we used to own. Imagine having to mod a PA kit to add extra magnets to stop the canopy from ejecting and breaking each time it fell to the ground. That really annoyed me .
I still have a PA Bandit, fortunately I haven't had any canopy ejection issues.

Your reply above has set the seal for my own 47" Edge when it arrives, I have an uncommitted Scorpion 3020-890 myself so that is where it will go.

Quick Reply