Dec 09, 2016, 08:47 PM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Thread OP
New Product

Axial Yeti Jr. RTR 1/18 scale Rock Racer

Announced today. Just in time for the holidays!

The Yeti Jr. RTR 1/18 scale rock racer. Available now and exclusively from Axialracing.com for $179.00

http://www.axialracing.com/products/ax90054

This is going to look great sitting next to my Yeti XL.

Axial AX90054 Yeti Jr.™ 1/18th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR (2 min 41 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2016, 02:11 AM
That looks pretty badass for a mini. More expensive than the 1/8 Mad Torque I just bought! Probably worth it though.
Dec 11, 2016, 05:13 AM
That's a lot of money for a 1/18 the car ,looks nice but too expensive for the market I'd say .
Dec 11, 2016, 09:52 AM
Thread OP
I think the price is fine and it will probably sell out quick at the rate the guys are buying them over on RC Crawler. I've yet to see an Axial that didn't have a premium price. It's a completely new design with a solid rear axle, licensed parts, nice tires, a flip-up body and it looks bigger than most 1/18s as well. A lot of folks dig that. Plus, It's not a clone like the vast majority of the 1/18th scale market that uses the same two chassis for every car. It's something new and different and I have no problem paying more for that.
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 11, 2016 at 07:53 PM.
Dec 11, 2016, 01:46 PM
I'd rather pay an extra 80$ and have quality parts and spares.
Dec 11, 2016, 08:24 PM
Thread OP
Agreed. Premium brands command premium prices. It'll come down if they don't sell but I don't think that's gonna be a problem. Lots of vids popping up already. Can't wait for mine. Got some construction going on behind work. Gonna be a great test for it.

AXIAL YETI JR + YETI SCORE JR - 1/18th scale greatness! (17 min 21 sec)

CAMPING WITH COLEMAN | AXIAL YETI JR & SCORE JR | EPIC UNBOXING & REACTION! | PART 1 (17 min 59 sec)

SBG Axial Yeti Jr Unboxing and Review (19 min 57 sec)
Dec 14, 2016, 06:23 PM
Thread OP
Finally, an actual video of the Yeti Jr. running at its stock top speed without slow motion or dubstep, because it's mine!

Yeti Jr. First run. (0 min 58 sec)
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 14, 2016 at 08:09 PM.
Dec 14, 2016, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the share.

Looks pretty cool, and seems to have a decent top speed. How would you rate the durability so far?
Dec 14, 2016, 08:07 PM
Thread OP
Well, the stock Tactic servo didn't center very well out of the box. Other than replacing that with an HS-65MG as soon as I got home from work, it looks like the little bugger is going to hold up nicely. Top is going to get scratched up though. Love the tires. They'll probably dry rot before they wear out with the stock setup. The suspension is just like my big Yeti's. So much travel for such a little buggy. 2S 2200 25-50C Turnigy NanoTechs fit perfectly so it should run just about forever, or for 45 minutes anyway.

I think the top speed is just about perfect on 2S. It already traction rolls with ease, as you could see at the end of the video. Even slight corrections at top speed in the street or grass will flip it. Probably could use some Expo on the steering but it uses a combo RX/ESC like every other 1/18 RTR lately. The TX has endpoint settings to dial back the steering a bit but swapping in another RX will probably require a ESC swap too. Luckily, I have a few 1/18 brushed ESCs if I want to swap in a Spektrum RX, and you know I want to.
Last edited by SD One.; Dec 14, 2016 at 08:55 PM.
Dec 15, 2016, 01:42 PM
I'm sure you can get that servo replaced under warranty. Even if it isn't the greatest servo I like having spare parts you never know when you might need it hehe

It looks like it handles the terrain just fine which is great for its size. I'm torn between this or the ambush crawler lol. I know totally different but similar price lol
Dec 16, 2016, 09:59 AM
Thread OP
Day 3. Dead ESC/RX combo.

Plugged it up this morning before work. Drove it around for about 45 seconds and it died. No response. Unplugged, plugged, no response. Started to smell burnt electronics and the top of the ESC/RX combo was getting hot so I unplugged it. Checked for pinched wires and shorts. Found none. Looks like it just up and died.

I had already planned on replacing the ESC and RX tonight anyway but dang! Come on! A servo that wouldn't center out of the box and now a dead electronics block with less than an hour of run time on it. That's some poop right there!

This is not a big deal at all to me. I'll just fix it tonight with the better stuff I already have and get on with a much better buggy. Unfortunately, not everyone has that option.

I'm not having good luck with any of my new RC's lately.
Dec 17, 2016, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
Alright then! Junior is fixed and now puts the stock setup to shame.

First off, the Hitec servo is out and a larger and much more powerful Spektrum SPMS401 waterproof servo is in. The kit included the proper spline adapter for it. The only modification needed was to replace the servo saver's outside washer with a slightly smaller steel washer so it wouldn't rub the chassis.

The stock electronics block is gone. It has been replaced with a Spektrum SR201 receiver and an HPI SC-3SWP2 waterproof, 3S capable brushed ESC.

Needless to say, it's going to be a much nicer and more reliable buggy now.
Dec 17, 2016, 02:31 AM
Sucks the stock electronics burned up, guess that's why they always consider first batch buyers guinea pigs lol.

But hey now it's better suited for fun, how do you think that little motor will hold up to 3s?
Dec 17, 2016, 11:08 AM
Thread OP
It should be ok for a couple quick blasts on 3S, just to show how silly this thing is going to be on anything other than stock 2S power. I don't know if they can possibly get any cheaper on the electronics.

What I don't get is places like Big Squid and RCCarAction and such. They never seem to have any issues with the RTR's provided for their reviews while I rarely have an RTR that lasts beyond the first run. What really kills me is that I don't thrash my stuff at all. I drive in the street or the yard. Both are smooth. I don't jump huge things. There's a small jump in the yard that I can get maybe a foot of air off of if I hit it squarely. I rarely crash but I go through stock servos like crazy and that's the second stock ESC I've had die in a week. I've found factory defects and assembly mistakes on multiple vehicles in the past year. If there is a weak spot, I will usually find it on that first run without even trying.

If I build a kit, I don't have these problems, ever.
Dec 17, 2016, 06:10 PM
Man I'm the total opposite lol... I've had pretty good luck over all on RTR stuff. Even worse I usually have good luck on products with not so stellar reviews lol...

But hey now, that thing should be a runner on 3s. Looking forward to your video of it

Quick Reply