Jan 12, 2017, 06:10 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf
FINALLY mine showed up after being lost in "UPS land" for 3 weeks! If the forecast break in the weather for this weekend holds I plan some serious comparison testing against my VAS antennas, specifically range at low altitude and BLOS. At the same time I'll be doing side-by-side testing of the Gatling and my VAS Pepperbox.
Looking forward to seeing your results!
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2017, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetieinsf
FINALLY mine showed up after being lost in "UPS land" for 3 weeks! If the forecast break in the weather for this weekend holds I plan some serious comparison testing against my VAS antennas, specifically range at low altitude and BLOS. At the same time I'll be doing side-by-side testing of the Gatling and my VAS Pepperbox.
Good to hear some real world test. Please take pictures of you're layout of your equipment thank you.
DanT
Jan 12, 2017, 12:09 PM
Just received my two antennas! Should be able to test them this week end and post results
Jan 12, 2017, 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus le renard
Just received my two antennas! Should be able to test them this week end and post results
Needs to see what these are like, side fed would be perfect for flush mounting into wing.
Jan 12, 2017, 03:35 PM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus le renard
Thanks for posting the pics, I have some vas airscrews, the size of these things is amazing!
Jan 16, 2017, 03:14 AM
Master of Disaster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieHoppy
Looking forward to seeing your results!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Good to hear some real world test. Please take pictures of you're layout of your equipment thank you.
DanT
OK guys, I managed 3 flights (total air time about 1.25 hours) today in an attempt to quantify the benefits of the Singularity and the Gatling. It didn't go as well as I hoped. My first mistake/challenge was trying to compare TX and RX antennas at the same time with no copilot to help. Flying low over open water at distance in a challenging environment is tough enough without trying to take notes and manually switching between two Vrxs! I also struggled with two technical issues on the first flight - 1) I had just added an external microphone, without any testing, and it added a HUGE amount of noise to the video. 2) about 2 miles out on the first flight I realized I had zero video from one of my 2 Vrxs! So I aborted the flight, removed the mic, and after some dicking around managed to get the second Vrx up again.

The next two flights consisted of trying to fly the same course out over San Francisco Bay at low altitude beyond a bunch of 40-50 foot tall buildings about 1/2 a mile out from the launch point and switching manually between 2 Vrxs. Each of the two flights used a different Vtx antenna. My goal was to test both the Singularity and the Gatling under the challenging conditions I normally fly - High noise floor, 2-5 mile range at low altitude and often Beyond Line of Sight. With 50 foot buildings out a half mile at 1 mile I'd need 100 foot altitude to have clear LOS, at 2 miles 200 ft. Beyond 2 miles at 200 ft I would be BLOS. The first flight, using the VAS, I made about 3.5 miles at 200 feet altitude, set the transmitter down and hit RTH and by the the time I realized it was way off course and on the edge of the Gatling beam. I turned and climbed to 400 feet and made 5 miles before turning back The second flight with the Singularity I made 5.1 miles at 200 feet before climbing to 400 feet and turned back at 5.4 miles - but was right down the center of the beam. Not really a fair comparison...

The setup:
Plane - Ritewing Drak, DL V3, Vector
Vtx - RMRC 1000mw
Antennas - VAS Blue Beam Ultra Cloverleaf and TrueRC Singularatiy

GS:
Twin Racewood Vrxs on 1258mhz with an ET EagleEyes for diversity
VAS Pepperbox and TrueRC Gatling

Results:
Because I had no copilot to take notes and the fact that I failed to fly exactly the same course on both flights I can't say I recorded the comprehensive data I set out for so until I can try again I can only offer my "impressions":

The Singularity. I feel safe in saying that it performs at least as well as the VAS in general. I won't say that it's better at long range since my flight with the VAS, while shorter, was way off the center beam of the RX antennas. Since the Gatling has a narrow beam it wasn't a fair comparison to my flight with the Singularity which was right on course. In a couple of flights behind a building at half a mile I think it did a little better than the VAS but better testing at short range behind objects needs to be done. Overall I couldn't find any faults. Because of it's small size and rugged crash resistance combined with an attractive price I'd call it a BUY!

The Gatling. Much tougher call. While it did out perform my Pepperbox in these (atypical) tests I'm not sure it outperformed it to the tune of 3.5 times the cost. I didn't see the advertised 40% increase in range but perhaps in a more typical high altitude LOS situation that might be the case. Pros: Nicely built and very lightweight compared to the Pepperbox. I mounted it on my GS that was designed for a Crosshair whereas my PB requires a separate stand. It does out perform the PB but in my tests not by a lot. Cons: PRICE! $400 (3.5 times the price of the VAS Pepperbox) is a LOT to pay for that extra "little bit" especially when it has no integrated mounting option or coax cable - both details included with the PB. The narrow beam, compared to the PB, means either running a tracker or manually adjusting it often if you aren't flying straight out and straight back. On the other hand if you ARE using a tracker this thing should be awesome!
Jan 17, 2017, 10:57 AM
Hey guys! Finally made a full flight with my antennas on! So here are my results:
On the air, I have a RMRC 800mw transmitter with a side fed truerc singularity. On the ground station I have a RMRC receiver with comtech tuner and the standard singularity.
With the same placement of component but with linear antennas (VAS Vee on the plane and standard rubber ducky on the ground), the max range I could got was about 12km. The Truerc singularity got me about the same range. For this test, I unfortunately had to stay below 1000m because of the layer of clouds. I normally cruise at about 1500m. (will do more test later this week!)

I first decide to stay away from circular polarized antennas mainly because of the size and fragility of them. I tend to crash, a lot (mostly on take off...bad terrains!) The singularity clearly now show an advantage of going circular!

So why choose circular over a linear setup?
- do not loose any signal while banking or turning;
- much more circular polarized antennas choices!

The main goal with trying circular was to be able to use a VAS pepperbox witch has really high gain and very wide beam. The only linear antennas that have similar gains are Yagi and some patches, but quality ones are hard to find and you end up with a reduced beam. No problem if you use an antenna tracker but I personally prefer a fixed antenna.

I will post some footage of my flight later today to let you judge
Jan 17, 2017, 11:33 AM
Question
With respect .
Why did you use a VAS Vee on the plane and standard rubber ducky on the ground)?
IMO I wouldn't think that is good for distance at all.
Or good video picture .
And a standard singularity antenna on your receiver?
Seems like a bad idea IMO but if it works for you Great..!
Looking forward to more test thank you..
DanT
PS: looks Cold out there,, I know about Cold too, I lived in Duluth Minnesota for about 6 years!!!
Moved to Texas and will never go back to that kind of cold..LOL
Last edited by DanT; Jan 17, 2017 at 11:50 AM.
Jan 17, 2017, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanT
Question
With respect .
Why did you use a VAS Vee on the plane and standard rubber ducky on the ground)?
IMO I wouldn't think that is good for distance at all.
Or good video picture .
And a standard singularity antenna on your receiver?
Seems like a bad idea IMO but if it works for you Great..!
Looking forward to more test thank you..
DanT
The VAS / rubber ducky is my ''all around'' setup, when I want to fly around in a lesser than 10km radius (The max I've made with that is 15km). That worked well for me. For distance I use a 8 dbi patch. It's been very windy all the falls and beginning of winter, so I mostly fly around at the moment.

Linear can gives you much more range with the proper antenna and is perfect in my case because I always fly high and in an area with low noise. Picture quality between the 2 setup is exactly the same.

The antenna on the video receiver needed to be circular polarized and that's the only one I have for the moment
I will definitely invest in a vas pepperbox, 180 coverage will be perfect for me since I never fly in my back.
Jan 17, 2017, 12:27 PM
Thank you for this information and sharing it with us.
DanT
PS: here is some of my ground station's .
Jan 21, 2017, 11:25 AM
I can also confirm that my testing of the singularity it works as well as my VAS Mad Mushroom antennas or close enough that its hard to tell the difference and i appreciate the size and ruggedness of these vs normal 1.3cp antennas. I made it out to 4 miles using these on both the tx and rx at 200'
Jan 21, 2017, 02:55 PM
KD8SU Charlotte, Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali
I can also confirm that my testing of the singularity it works as well as my VAS Mad Mushroom antennas or close enough that its hard to tell the difference and i appreciate the size and ruggedness of these vs normal 1.3cp antennas. I made it out to 4 miles using these on both the tx and rx at 200'
Not too shabby there, Sparky !
I also bought two of these antennas; one for my 1.3G module that's in my Fatshark HD goggles; ah ! sooo much smaller than having a huge cloverleaf attached ...and the other with the coax feed on the side to embed into my foam wing. I haven't had a chance to try them though.

4 miles out at 200' feet is pretty darn good.., is that over flat terrain ?? or no ??
Jan 21, 2017, 07:24 PM
Yeah fairly flat although I was not flying from ideal position for LOS.
Jan 21, 2017, 09:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali
Yeah fairly flat although I was not flying from ideal position for LOS.
Question, would like to know what power ( mW ) your VTX was on this test flight and a picture of your aircraft would be helpful if you have the time?
Showing how you mounted your antennas ..
And were you flying over water or over land?
Thank you for your help.
DanT
Last edited by DanT; Jan 21, 2017 at 09:27 PM.
Jan 25, 2017, 10:21 AM
KD8SU Charlotte, Michigan

Many Thanks, Guys !

I'd just like to say "thanks!" to all above in the previous posts (Sweetie, Dan, Marcus, Sparky, et al) who have informed us and have spent the time involved in reviewing these new antennas ! With their small form factor, their initial test results almost seem to good to be true. I'm sure others will be chiming in with their results in no time.

I see the "side feed" version is now out of stock on both GetFpv and ReadyMade's sites...

As I've mentioned, I've not had time to test mine, yet, but I'm sure looking forward to doing so..once the weather here in Michigan warms up as we approach spring.

Quick Reply