Thread Tools
Feb 05, 2017, 04:38 AM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
Build complete!

Ok, so this is a build variant of the MMW Rambo Whoop using the furibee f3 board. I ended up using the FX805 camera, because I could get it shipped fastest from Kados with some new batteries. Some of what I'm writing will be redundant at this point but whatever.

Motors: CL-0615-19 coreless motor (speed: insane)
FC Firmware: Betaflight 3.0.1
CLI dump: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/03...58655297033190
Camera: FX805 with dipole.

The Build Adventure

1. Flashed betaflight by choosing SPRACING F3, BF 1.01, baud rate of 115200 with full chip erase selected. No bootloader shorting required.

2. Went to receiver -> changed AETR1234 to TAER1234 to fix the throttle being "wrong" for my X9D+ -- this will confuse the hell out of you if you try to set this up in either cleanflight or betaflight and you don't do this step. Both boards I received were configured like this.

3. Imported the CLI dump from Micro Motor Warehouse. Went back into cleanflight and enabled RSSI, as his config disables it. Other than not being happy with some of the rates, it worked perfectly!

4. Soldered it up -- I found that I really needed a hot iron for this one. Those solder pads are TINY. I tinned the wires and also added solder to the pads just to be able to get it on there snugly. The 5v camera solder pads are even tougher to get to. I'm not really that great at soldering but this was a bit of challenge because of how small the pads are, but I got it done right in the end -- after that, I bound Bound to Taranis in D8 - no problems.

Need to keep distance from the whoop because of an issue with the receiver. It likes to lose signal in very close range. Known issue, unfortunately no fix that I can find. To me it is not a big deal at all.

5. The camera... well, I attempted to use the stock casing that came with FX805 for the camera, but it didn't fit on the board. This board has various chips and smd caps on the top of it, which can get in the way. Keep note of this if you're planning on putting anything on top of this board because it is not flat at all. But the F001 Camera Holder really is designed perfectly for this board. I went with this instead.

6. There are screw holes on both sides of the mount, and the mount itself comes with screws that you can fit a camera onto. The problem for me though was that the FX805 camera doesn't have have any way of screwing into it. It should also be noted that the Furibee AIO camera has the exact same "issue." But it's not a big deal at all. I put some hot glue right on the incline and put the camera on there. Slabbed a little bit of hot glue on both sides and it holds it just fine.

7. Battery placement. I used nail clippers to make a hole in the back of the battery bay enough to get a snug fit of a kados 210mah battery. But it still kept falling out, so I cut out a piece of foam with a more or less exact fit, and then carved out a bit of the inside. Hot glued it with just a dab to the frame. Keeps the battery in there nice and tight, no more falling all over the place!

8. I did have some screw issues... this was mainly my fault but just be cautious. I tried to screw down that camera mount and ended up really grinding apart the screw holes on the plastic frame. After unscrewing and then screwing them in a few times, it ruined them. I had to get some thicker screws, if you check my pics I'm not using the stock screws anywhere except the middle one. All 4 screws you need are included, just don't do what I did and "screw" around too much.

Results

This whoop moves fast! 19,000kv motors scream on this model. No blown FETs, it handles it fine so far. As soon as I can I'll post a video review I'll be doing so. I've done multiple whoop builds so far and this one is my favorite! Total flight time is only 2 min, 30 seconds with 3 bladed props. Might be able to get 3 minutes if I chopped it to 2 blade. You want an insanely fast whoop? Build this.

A shout out to micro motor warehouse for getting a second set of motors to me as well even though they made a mistake and shipped the order to my other address. They even threw in 2 free mylipo batteries.

I have an F36 coming, and the F3 is next. How's about some action video of your little asswhoop?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 05, 2017, 09:39 PM
(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)(͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
JohnCC's Avatar
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by casey62
I have an F36 coming, and the F3 is next. How's about some action video of your little asswhoop?
I ruined it day #1 in the snow.

It took a while to finally get a new board to do a rebuild, so it's in progress, again... but it was awesome while it lasted.
Feb 06, 2017, 09:46 AM
new2rc15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCC
I ruined it day #1 in the snow.

It took a while to finally get a new board to do a rebuild, so it's in progress, again... but it was awesome while it lasted.
Sounds like something I would do
Feb 10, 2017, 01:35 PM
Registered User
Quick question guys - I'm new to the drone scene so any help/guidance is MUCH appreciated. I recently bought the FuriBee F3 flight controller. Installed it and connected everything up. Plugged in my UBS cable and opened Beta Flight and then nothing? I try connecting to the quad via the port it auto detects but it just fails. I tried using Clean Flight and I get the same results. The power light is on and the activity LED just cycles through blue - white - yellow over and over when trying to use either program. I downloaded and installed the CP210x and STM USB VCP Drivers. I also downloaded the Zadig app but wasn't sure wth to do with that? I also followed all the steps under the "Recovery / Lost communication" section with no luck. The only behavior change I get is the activity light slowly flashes blue but it won't stay solid like the instructions say it should after I jumper the boot pins. I tried finding some documentation on this thing but I can't find anything anywhere. Am I just a moron and not looking in the right place or is there really nothing out there? Again any help/guidance is much appreciated because at this point I'm lost.
Feb 11, 2017, 12:37 AM
run
run
Registered User
run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJack
Quick question guys - I'm new to the drone scene so any help/guidance is MUCH appreciated. I recently bought the FuriBee F3 flight controller. Installed it and connected everything up. Plugged in my UBS cable and opened Beta Flight and then nothing? I try connecting to the quad via the port it auto detects but it just fails. I tried using Clean Flight and I get the same results. The power light is on and the activity LED just cycles through blue - white - yellow over and over when trying to use either program. I downloaded and installed the CP210x and STM USB VCP Drivers. I also downloaded the Zadig app but wasn't sure wth to do with that? I also followed all the steps under the "Recovery / Lost communication" section with no luck. The only behavior change I get is the activity light slowly flashes blue but it won't stay solid like the instructions say it should after I jumper the boot pins. I tried finding some documentation on this thing but I can't find anything anywhere. Am I just a moron and not looking in the right place or is there really nothing out there? Again any help/guidance is much appreciated because at this point I'm lost.


i encounter this from time to time - usually solved by switching USB cables and shutting down my computer ... and cycling through plugging and replugging. doesn't it come with cleanflight? I can't remember - but perhaps make sure to only really try one at a time.

this whole song and dance doesn't make sense but usually works for me .....

have you ever connected any FC successfully to your computer or is this the first you've tried?
Feb 11, 2017, 01:32 AM
Registered User
I tried multiple USB cables and even made sure I could transfer files from my Android phone to my PC and back just to make sure the cable I was using was capable of all functionality and it was. Yes, this is the first time I've ever tried connecting a quad to my computer. I work in the IT field so I tried the old reboot and try again multiple times after various changes but still not luck. =) I like the "have u ever done this before" question because I'd ask the same thing if I had done this before - lol - but honestly other then installing some drivers shouldn't it just be plug and play? Its not like this is some major complicated device we are talking about. I have a good USB cable and I know the drivers successfully installed. Does anyone have documentation on what the various LED light blinking combinations mean? Also, I tried all these steps first in Clean Flight because I watched RC Drone Camps YouTube review and followed his instructions. I then tried it again in Beta Flight. Since then I've tried all steps in both programs multiple times with no luck. Like I said I'm not the smartest man in the world but I work in the IT field and configure many different network devices as well as Cisco switches all the time. I'm technically savvy enough to do this but it seems like the board is defective because I've done nothing other then solder some motor and power cables on and plugged it into my computer.
Last edited by TennesseeJack; Feb 11, 2017 at 01:40 AM.
Feb 11, 2017, 09:32 AM
run
run
Registered User
run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJack
I tried multiple USB cables and even made sure I could transfer files from my Android phone to my PC and back just to make sure the cable I was using was capable of all functionality and it was. Yes, this is the first time I've ever tried connecting a quad to my computer. I work in the IT field so I tried the old reboot and try again multiple times after various changes but still not luck. =) I like the "have u ever done this before" question because I'd ask the same thing if I had done this before - lol - but honestly other then installing some drivers shouldn't it just be plug and play? Its not like this is some major complicated device we are talking about. I have a good USB cable and I know the drivers successfully installed. Does anyone have documentation on what the various LED light blinking combinations mean? Also, I tried all these steps first in Clean Flight because I watched RC Drone Camps YouTube review and followed his instructions. I then tried it again in Beta Flight. Since then I've tried all steps in both programs multiple times with no luck. Like I said I'm not the smartest man in the world but I work in the IT field and configure many different network devices as well as Cisco switches all the time. I'm technically savvy enough to do this but it seems like the board is defective because I've done nothing other then solder some motor and power cables on and plugged it into my computer.


i don't really think this stuff is ever that simple and i, too, work in the IT field. there's always something that trips even very experienced people up. I still consider myself "new" at this despite having gone through this whole mishegas number of times. Literally every build has something that stumps me still. the question regarding "have you done this before" as connected any FC was probing to see if the computer could be the problem - nothing more.

So you soldered on motors? did your motors not have those JST connectors that fit into the sockets on the board? Are you using this for a tiny whoop?

I'd check the "boot" pads (with like a magnifying glass) for stray solder and confirm that they aren't bridge (or you could try flashing betaflight to the board and see if it's in DFU mode). Zadig helps recover boards that won't connect - did you see if even zadig can find it?
Feb 11, 2017, 12:59 PM
Registered User
Yup, I was totally on the same page as to why you were asking about my PC. Gotta isolate the problem before you can fix it. But now we are getting somewhere I think because I have NOT tried using Zadig - and that's probably what I need to do. Yes, the motors were plug and play I mispoke when I said I soldered them on. The only soldering I did was for 2 power pigtails - one for the AIO FPV Cam and the other was a PW/PH 2 or whatever they are called connector so I can run the HV longer skinny batteries. I'm starting to see what you mean by "there's always something that trips you up" because that seems to be the common theme on every forum thread I've been reading trying to find a solution. lol - Thank you so much for the help/guidance its much appreciated because I was stumped. I'm going to go figure out how to use Zadig and then I'll let ya know how it goes. Any common problems or hangups newbies face when using that program that I should watch out for? Is it pretty straight forward? Connect the quad - download the latest stable version of BF I want to flash it with - tell Zadig where the file is at and what device I want to flash - and it handles the rest?
Last edited by TennesseeJack; Feb 11, 2017 at 01:24 PM.
Feb 11, 2017, 11:50 PM
Registered User
So I've pretty much come to the conclusion this board is defective. Zadig does see the board - or at least I'm assuming it does because it "lists" "CP2104 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and gives me the option to "replace" the driver. So I'm assuming that means I have the correct driver already installed so my PC can see the drone or else I wouldn't be being asked to replace the current one? If that is the case - and I have the right driver installed - then I'm completely stumped because I cannot flash this thing in Beta Flight or Clean Flight. At this point I'm contemplating returning this and getting a BeeBrain. At least that FC seems to work. All the other "cheaper" options seem to be plagued with issues from what I've been reading on various forum threads. I'd gladly pay an extra $20 if it would just work like it's supposed to. Any last idea's or suggestions? At this point I'm open to any option... even the "hammer" option. lol
Feb 11, 2017, 11:57 PM
run
run
Registered User
run's Avatar

FuriBee F3 32-bit Brushed Flight Controller for Tiny Whoop, Inductrix, JJRC H36


I'd solder those boot pads together hook it up with zadig and replace the driver - open up betaflight and flash whatever the latest copy of betaflight is... 3.0.1? I wanna say this is SP Racing F3 (not EVO? ... but i can't remember, honestly).

then unbridge the boot pads and give it another whirl.

I can check what's installed EVO or not EVO monday maybe. but i think it's in this thread - i just can't check right meow.

FWIW i have this and the Beecore FrSky (SBUS)both have been working great... but i know the feeling... all these electronics seem to be rife with QA issues. I really underestimated how much a tinkerer you have to be to get flying in this hobby...
Last edited by run; Feb 12, 2017 at 12:06 AM.
Feb 12, 2017, 12:09 AM
run
run
Registered User
run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJack
So I've pretty much come to the conclusion this board is defective. Zadig does see the board - or at least I'm assuming it does because it "lists" "CP2104 USB to UART Bridge Controller" and gives me the option to "replace" the driver. So I'm assuming that means I have the correct driver already installed so my PC can see the drone or else I wouldn't be being asked to replace the current one? If that is the case - and I have the right driver installed - then I'm completely stumped because I cannot flash this thing in Beta Flight or Clean Flight. At this point I'm contemplating returning this and getting a BeeBrain. At least that FC seems to work. All the other "cheaper" options seem to be plagued with issues from what I've been reading on various forum threads. I'd gladly pay an extra $20 if it would just work like it's supposed to. Any last idea's or suggestions? At this point I'm open to any option... even the "hammer" option. lol

btw the option above is the old "percussive maintenance" / hammer option.

try turning on "auto-connect" on betaflight if you're able to flash that - should grab the first appropriate com port.
Feb 12, 2017, 12:11 AM
Registered User
Ok - I'll give it a shot because I'm not a quitter. Question though - do I have to actually solder the pads or can i just use a screw driver or something for the jumper? Also - what do I select in the second box in Zadig - the area I have circled in the attached screenshot? I'm pretty sure your right about what to flash it with - its SPRacingF3. At least that's what I read while going through all 12 pages of this thread trying to figure this damn thing out.
Last edited by TennesseeJack; Feb 12, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
Feb 12, 2017, 12:29 AM
run
run
Registered User
run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeJack
Ok - I'll give it a shot because I'm not a quitter. Question though - do I have to actually solder the pads or can i just use a screw driver or something for the jumper? Also - what do I select in the second box in Zadig - the area I have circled in the attached screenshot? I'm pretty sure your right about what to flash it with - its SPRacingF3. At least that's what I read while going through all 12 pages of this thread trying to figure this damn thing out.

oh yeah a razor blade or whatnot works - but the solder is just more reliable. I had one board that was just really hard to bridge. you can try with the binding pads - i'd say i have 30% success ... just trying to reduce the possible sources of error.

i dunno about that box though i just pick whatever and hit go - i think it's relatively hard to brick these things... operative word being "think".................. fingers crossed this works. it's a good board. nice to have vbat and rssi (mostly just vbat).

this board does have a swamping issue at close range. if you're running a taranis you can't fly too close to yourself....
Feb 12, 2017, 04:26 PM
<Marty>
Anybody try this board with any success? http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-SPR-F3...MAAOSwux5YXMZY
Feb 12, 2017, 08:23 PM
run
run
Registered User
run's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_marty
Anybody try this board with any success? http://www.ebay.com/itm/QUEEN-SPR-F3...MAAOSwux5YXMZY


What a deal! I was wondering when they'd switch to those FTDI ports on things this size! Cool.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools