Dec 08, 2016, 01:05 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas PT-109 Length 33"

I've always wanted to build one of these boats and decided now is the time. Since this kit has die cut parts first up is removing the parts and cleaning them all up with some sand paper. Nothing hard to do, but it did take an evening to get it done.

After the parts were ready it was onto laying the lines out on the building board for the former locations.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2016, 01:10 PM
Thread OP
The Dumas instructions are pretty good, I followed the and had no real issues. Die cutting provided some inconsistencies in the parts fit, but a little patience paid off. The bow is filled with solid blocks of balsa and sanded down to fit.
Dec 08, 2016, 01:15 PM
Thread OP
The kit comes with PVC sheeting for the hull, I really had no interest in working with plastic. I got some nice 1/16" aircraft plywood from Balsa USA and used the supplied PVC has patterns. The majority of the hull is sheeted with fairly large sheets until you get to the bow. Lots of clamps, tape, and a few small wood screws held the sheeting down with no issues.
Dec 08, 2016, 01:20 PM
Thread OP
Once up in the bow, I cut the plywood into strips and planked both the bottom and the sides. This worked out perfectly and was very easy to sand down smooth once completed. This is the first time I've ever stripped planked anything in this fashion so I was satisfied with the results.
Dec 08, 2016, 01:28 PM
Thread OP
After the bottom and the sides were sheeted I removed it from the board and sanded the hull. Everything blended in very nicely and only a few low spots required some filler. The top hatch structure proved to be tricky, and I was really sure how it was going to turn out. Again, die cut parts required some attention. However, once I cut the hatch away I was surprised that it required very little fitting to get it right.

At this point I water proofed the entire inside of the boat with two coats of thin epoxy.

The kit comes with nice plywood for the top decking. The top decking went on and fit very well. The sheeting on the hatch worked out well too.

Once the hull is sheeted, the lines of the PT Boat are impressive. Very clean design!
Dec 08, 2016, 01:37 PM
Good work. My very first RC boat way back in the early 70's was the Dumas PT. They have sure made a bunch of changes to the kit and you have done a great job of putting it together.
Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Dec 08, 2016, 01:38 PM
Thread OP
The instructions want you to install the stuffing box at this point. I decided to skip that step for now and glass the hull and hatch first.

Before glassing I final sanded the hull and trued up some of the lines first. The die cutting wasnt the best, but the hull turned out looking really good and straight.

I'm glassing the hull with 2oz cloth and West Systems Epoxy.
Dec 08, 2016, 01:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravman
Good work. My very first RC boat way back in the early 70's was the Dumas PT. They have sure made a bunch of changes to the kit and you have done a great job of putting it together.
Looking forward to seeing how it comes out.
Thank you.
Dec 08, 2016, 04:51 PM
Most anything RC
Dec 08, 2016, 11:17 PM
boat butcher
Lookin' great .

Mark
Dec 11, 2016, 12:01 AM
Thread OP
Last section, top deck, has been glassed. Starting to work on some of the other sections as well.
Dec 11, 2016, 06:04 PM
Very nice build.
I attempted to build this kit back in 1970. Your build is much more successful and attractive.
Dec 12, 2016, 12:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeno
Very nice build.
I attempted to build this kit back in 1970. Your build is much more successful and attractive.
Thanks!
Dec 12, 2016, 01:31 PM
GET BACK IN THE SHOP!!!!!!
Nicely done so far. Have you considered styrene for some of the superstructure details? Use wood for the template and no sanding or sealing required. Saves a lot of time..

DH
Dec 13, 2016, 06:25 AM
Card Carrying Old Fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bergsmith
The die cutting wasnt the best, but the hull turned out looking really good and straight.
Nice work. I had an issue with the die cutting on a Dumas Osprey kit. I think as the dies get old they do a lot of crushing at the edges which makes mating difficult using CA glue. I ended up using a Gorilla Glue CA which is a medium viscosity. I also had to use CA kicker a lot. I had looked at that kit but the word "plastic" for the hull I didn't like. I never thought of doing it in wood and using the plastic as patterns. I like the smell of fresh sawdust in the morning. Plastic dust, not so much.

Again, nice job and keep us posted with updates.

Rick
Last edited by Rickochet; Dec 13, 2016 at 07:05 AM.

Quick Reply