Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

RHO-Lens HPRO - A Headplay Upgrade!

If you are looking for a crisper image from your Headplay unit RHO has just come out with some lenses that do the trick and stay in place.

Splash

An Eloquent Solution for Headplay Magnification

Once upon a time I had eyes that could see near and far but these days I need a little help on the near. When I received my Headplay unit for FPV they became my favorite and are my go-to "goggles" for FPV when I don't want to run a base station. Things were a little fuzzy with the single magnifier so I installed the second one right behind it. That sort of worked. Then I saw a company called RHO was making lenses that fit into the Headplay unit. I contacted them and they shipped me out a set. These worked great but the trick was keeping them in. I would bump them when the Headplays were on top of my head and knock them out. Ultimately I used double stick tape to secure them.

I was contacted by RHO and they said demand was so high after my article they were working on a new improved version of lenses. I was excited to get the new set. This review will show you the improvements and what I think about the RHO-Lens HPRO.

RHO-Lens HPRO - A Headplay Upgrade! - RCGroups (6 min 28 sec)

Features

• Ability to install the lens without getting fingerprints on the lens
  • A solution to protect the screen from dust particles
  • An ability to get the lens filled with customized prescription lenses
  • A foolproof installation to know exactly where the lens needs to be positioned
  • Unbreakable no bond holding the lenses together

My Thoughts

• The very first thing to note is how simple this sing unit is to install. Simply take the two pieces of the Headplay unit apart and insert. Then you screw them back together.
  • The visual acuity offered by this new unit is perfect for my eyes. Super crisp.
  • These really do keep debris away from the screen.
  • You can shake the Headplay unit and still not dislodge the RHO piece.
  • It looks cool.

More Info

• Cost: $49.30
  • Optimized focus point: 15.8 in (40 cm) (Compared to 7.9 in (20 cm) or 7.1 in (18 cm) of the Headplay HD)
  • Optimized field of view: 57 diagonal (Compared to 72 or 68 of the Headplay HD)
  • Compatible with Headplay HD, Skyzone SJ-V01
  • High-quality lenses for maximum clarity and sharpness
  • Super Anti-Reflection coatings to minimize disturbing glare and light reflections
  • Replaceable lenses
  • Prescription lenses available for people with sight defects or different needs. The standard lenses are designed for an interpupillary distance (PD) of 25.2 in (64 mm). Please contact us if you need a different PD, focus point or field of view
  • Dust proof
  • Can be removed without leaving residue
  • Also suitable for eyeglass wearers
  • Weighs only 1.07 oz (30.3 g) including lenses

Photos

Final Thoughts

If you are a Headplay user and are looking for a crisper image you need to buy these. The install was easy and solid. The really sharpen up the image for me. They can be used with glassed and they protect your screen. Another huge deal is that I don't have to worry about them popping out. Great job RHO!

Learn More and Order

Click here to visit the RHO page to learn more.

Dec 08, 2016, 02:32 PM
I also tried the RHO Pro, I am happy with this lens. It's possible to fly 45 minutes straight without eye strain.
Dec 08, 2016, 03:29 PM

A question

The first that came to mind when I look at these, do they come with multiple magnifications. Not everybody has the same need to make the Headplays to work for them.
Dec 09, 2016, 04:18 AM
InnovationMatters
This sounds amazing, there's a huge market gap in this field. If they are superb in optics, I'd imagine a lot of company's would require their services.

I just might buy the goggles and this to check it out!
Dec 09, 2016, 08:54 AM
Administrator
There is only one magnification in the box but you can get lenses for your exact need from the site. I found the included lenses to be perfect for me.
Dec 09, 2016, 09:16 AM
Tried them and never been able to focus on the screen for any length if time, too straining.

Hugo
Dec 09, 2016, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim T. Graham
There is only one magnification in the box but you can get lenses for your exact need from the site. I found the included lenses to be perfect for me.

I visited their site but didn't see anywhere to order custom lens...
Dec 15, 2016, 09:19 PM
Upstanding Member
I've been flying with their 3D printed prototype for about 3 months now and like them very much.
Before that was using the HP hi-mag fresnel and also liked that, but the RHOs are maybe a bit sharper and I haven't been motivated to take them out.

The only downside (besides a slightly smaller FOV) is they are quite close to your face, so putting on/taking off the heaplay, especially on a hot day, makes it almost unavoidable to get smears on the lenses from your face.
I just carry a couple packs of lens cleaners in my kit and wipe them down every couple flights.

Nice product!
Dec 16, 2016, 11:36 AM
Stupid gravity!
Great upgrade. I no longer need the readers I had zip-tied inside the case.
Dec 24, 2016, 12:53 PM
Quads and FPV it's not a crime
I have the original and now these and they are great, very clear image and good fit in the Headplays.
I wear glasses and don't need them when using the HPRO lens.
Dec 26, 2016, 06:55 AM
Does anybody know what kind of glue works to join the 2 halves of the original classic lenses when they come apart?
Dec 26, 2016, 02:30 PM
Wild & Crazy
I have one of these ordered, cant wait alot of thumbs up for this product. is there anything i need to know before taking the goggles apart???
Dec 26, 2016, 06:48 PM
I don't understand the link it says they are due out in October but then it gives oredering/Paypal instructions.
Are they currently available or still in pre-order?

And I don't see where you can purchase the prescription lenses?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...d-fpv-goggle#/
Dec 26, 2016, 06:51 PM
Wild & Crazy
Quote:
Originally Posted by overmyhead
I don't understand the link it says they are due out in October but then it gives oredering/Paypal instructions.
Are they currently available or still in pre-order?

And I don't see where you can purchase the prescription lenses?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/h...d-fpv-goggle#/
Hi Overmyhead,

its on the bottom of this page real big BUY NOW
http://rho-lens.com/rho-lens-hpro/
Dec 26, 2016, 10:35 PM
Thanks I saw the Buy-it-now just wanted to make sure it wasn't still in development and one of those pre-order deals for next October.
I will email them about the prescription lenses that will be the deal breaker if not available as it doesn't look like there is much space in front of them to add the Carson magnifier mod if needed.