F3RES International - Nov 11-12, 2017 - RC Groups
Dec 08, 2016, 12:14 AM
Contest

F3RES International - Nov 11-12, 2017

This is the first announcement of the F3RES International contest.

Following the lead of our European brethren (and with their direct support and participation) we are going to try the new F3RES contest format. The English version of the rules being followed are attached below. This will be an AMA-sanctioned contest. The basics are summarized below:

Airplanes: wood construction (with carbon tubes or extrusions allowed for certain components such as spars, booms or leading edges); span limited to 2 meters or less; controls limited to rudder, elevator and spoiler. Flying wings are allowed as specified in the rules. You don't have to build your own airplane, but why would you not?

Scoring: Man-on-man in heats; simultaneous launches from standardized hi-starts; a heat is a 9-minute working window with unlimited launches in that window to achieve a 6-minute max flight; up to 100 landing points can be earned. Scores are based on total flight seconds in a heat and added (a maximum of 360) to landing points (a maximum of 100), and the person with the highest total is awarded 1000 points. Persons in the same heat are awarded points in proportion of their score to the max score attained.

The sponsor is the Albuquerque Soaring Association (www.soarabq.org). Our club has sponsored a variety of National-level contests in the past, including F3K and F5J. We will have electronic scoring, count-downs to window start and stop times by loud speaker; easily seen field clocks showing window time, and landing judges. Our club has a number of the specified hi-starts, and we will set up as many as the field allows, or that we have. You can bring your own, but it will be tested by us to verify it provides the same pull at the same extension before we set it out. We think the time is right for more affordable (but still demanding) RC soaring competition. Our goal is ten rounds of how ever many heats are required to accommodate the field: six on Saturday and four on Sunday. We aim to set a high bar for anyone else trying this out. And, to have a lot of fun.

What you will need to bring: One or two 2-meter-span sailplanes that conform to the rules, along with a good radio; plus a stop watch (competitors will be asked to time for other competitors); your AMA card; plus a really good attitude. Oh, and sun block and a hat - this is New Mexico.

The Balloon Fiesta Park is a great venue for a contest of this sort. There are a variety of hotels within two miles of the Park, we will have water and lunch and refreshments. For those that may not be involved in flying (such as spouses and kids), there is a world-class zoo, the shops and attractions of Old Town, and a wide variety of shopping and tourist attractions. The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta will have been over for several weeks, and the park refreshed and in very good shape. In the improbable event the Balloon Fiesta Park is lost to us, we have an excellent Sod Farm just outside Albuquerque as a back-up. We will know within 90 days of the announced date (Nov 11-12, 2017) whether the Balloon Fiesta Park is the venue, or the Sod Farm.

Sign-ups: Please go to www.SoarABQ.org, and use the on-line sign-up. Here is a direct link:

http://www.soarabq.org/F3RES_forms_2017/F3RES_Form.html

That keeps us more current than signing up on F3XVault.

Late Breaking News: Peter Goldsmith has donated an Opal 2-meter, F3RES kit as a prize for the contest. The Opal, a first-rate F3RES design, will go to the pilot who finishes exactly half way up the standings, between first and last place. Check out the pictures at www.KennedyComposites.com

More Late Breaking News: Don and Joe of DJ Aerotech have donated a Chrysalis Lite as a prize for the contest. We are still considering how to award this fine kit, and will update this thread once more when we decide. Check it out at www.DJAerotech.com
Last edited by glidermang; Sep 26, 2017 at 12:05 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 08, 2016, 10:51 AM
Greg

Great News!

Norm Whittle
Dec 08, 2016, 11:58 AM
Flying = Falling (Slowly)
delete
Last edited by dharban; Dec 08, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Dec 08, 2016, 09:04 PM
Greg,

I will be there now that I have a Pures, Slite, Xres and ResDart (all your fault for letting me fly your Pures this summer).

Looking forward to it!

Jeff (Tulsa,Ok)
Jan 05, 2017, 11:29 PM
Here's a bump on the contest in November.

Far off now, maybe.

Yours, Greg
Jan 06, 2017, 11:35 AM
Time flys by for sure.
Feb 06, 2017, 08:14 PM
And... a bump, just to remind people that there will be at least one of these contests here in the U. S. this year.

We expect some of our German friends to attend as well, including Josef Gergetz, who designed the PuRES and Slite.
Feb 06, 2017, 08:33 PM
Sounds like fun. Jon Garber and I will be there. L
Feb 10, 2017, 01:28 PM
Jonathan Garber
Larry, I didnt know i was signed up until i looked in this thread...

Jon
Feb 10, 2017, 02:20 PM
LOL Jonathan !

I wish I lived closer ! You guys please take a lot of pictures. I'm sure Greg will share a full report.

Cheers,

Joon
Feb 10, 2017, 02:22 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidermang
[B]
Scoring: ... Scores are computed in this manner: total flight seconds in a heat are added (a maximum of 360) to landing points (a maximum of 100), and the person with the highest total is awarded 1000 points. Persons in the same heat are awarded points in proportion of their score to the max score attained.....
Possible correction needed?

I believe the scoring as outlined in the F3-Res is 2 points per second so a Maximum of 720points for time plus a maximum of 100 points for landing.

Makes a difference. Puts more relative emphasis on thermal time... Less on landing score... (Example: If you can extend your time by 50 seconds or make a landing score but not both..... Go for the time)

Thanks...

Radian
www.phflyers.com
Feb 17, 2017, 11:06 PM
Radian:

I believe you are correct.

Yours, Greg
Feb 17, 2017, 11:11 PM
Our hi-starts finally arrived!

We ordered from Zeller Modellbau, and they were sent to DHL in early December, but because ofthe Lufthansa strike, they came yo us via shipping container, stacked on a slow boat across the Atlantic. They arrived just this past week, and have already been dispersed. Tomorrow, we attempt our first-ever F3RES-format contest. We ordered no less than ten.

Zeller cut us a deal, and we got a lot of bling for our buck: the correct length of elastic tubing, monofilament line, a big stake for the business end, a small stake as a hold-back at the takeoff end, streamer and all the fishing swivels and rings. We elected to not take the included reel, and that saved some purchase cost, and a lot of shipping expense.

We will have three or four set up at the sod farm West of Albuquerque, and give this game a try.
Feb 18, 2017, 12:59 PM
Great news. Looking forward to your report. LJ
Feb 18, 2017, 09:43 PM
A good time today, out in the flats East of Albuquerque. I'd forgotten how liberating it feels, to come out here and have the nearest "tall" obstacle be the Monzano Mountains, twenty miles to the West.

We were only the four of us, so we set two hi-starts, and after fiddling around for a while, flew four heats of 2-on-2. Kirby and I had the advantage, having flown lots of F3K. We already understand some of the implications of having a task within a working window. Also, I had the only "official" F3RES airplane among the four of us. The others were a remarkably uniform mix of Gentle Lady (28oz), Aspire (29 oz) and 2-meter Fling (28oz).

The dynamics possible became evident early. The possibility of lagging the first launch, in order to use the others as thermal seeker, was exploited. The ability to re-launch, in case you flubbed the first thermal call, was also evident. And finally, in one heat, Dan garnered no less than 98 landing points with his Aspire, and even with only 49 flight seconds, that still put him ahead of Efrain, who flew over two minutes, but missed the landing.

We have the local expertise to hack a bit of GliderScore, and work up a scoring routine and loud speaker cue system We still think this is a great, inclusive way to get more people flying than might be possible with the expensive, composite airplanes. We are definitely on track for the contest in November (when the weather is typically pretty good!).

We're going to do this again, for sure. And I will most likely be at Muncie for the exhibition contest, as well.