Aug 22, 2019, 11:44 PM
Foam Friend
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRealEstateGuy
He is doing touch and goes... each takeoff is like a full speed pass. Usually full power until mid way through the downwind leg. This could be part of the problem.
And it is! Now that I'm doing okay with landings, I get around 4:30min with mixed throttle and no practice full-stops. Yesterday I've written down the used mAh given by telemetry for each of my 5000s and on the weekend I'll do the same for what the charger is putting back in. IR is fine with 3-4mohm per cell on average.

I've left the low voltage warning at 3.5V per cell and it never got triggered, not even with full throttle towards the end of the flight. I think the batteries are fine for the Avanti.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 07:39 AM
eat, sleep, FLY FLY FLY
1/2 flap for takeoff (shortens lift off) , full flaps to land- less as the wind increases. No coupling so trim does not really change, I like to chop the throttle and pull full flap , keep the nose down and flair at the end. Just watch to be sure she does not get to slow but she is such a pussycat to land, trainer like. happy landings
Aug 23, 2019, 12:14 PM
RC Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooan
And it is! Now that I'm doing okay with landings, I get around 4:30min with mixed throttle and no practice full-stops. Yesterday I've written down the used mAh given by telemetry for each of my 5000s and on the weekend I'll do the same for what the charger is putting back in. IR is fine with 3-4mohm per cell on average.

I've left the low voltage warning at 3.5V per cell and it never got triggered, not even with full throttle towards the end of the flight. I think the batteries are fine for the Avanti.
Glad to h ear. The Avanti never lets you down!

Speaking of low voltage alarms, what does everyone set theirs at? I've been setting at 3.7 V per cell but it often goes off too early. Kind of nervous to go lower.
Aug 23, 2019, 12:52 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Quad
Glad to h ear. The Avanti never lets you down!

Speaking of low voltage alarms, what does everyone set theirs at? I've been setting at 3.7 V per cell but it often goes off too early. Kind of nervous to go lower.
I don't set one. I listen to the voice telemetry and keep track that way, then I don't get false alarms due to voltage sag under load. 3.7V is aan appropriate lower limit under no-load conditions.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:06 PM

Goodbye Havoc => Hello Avanti

Hey guys, I decided not to get a replacement Havoc, at this time, after experiencing the uncommanded roll of death. HH was good about giving my money back though. I just couldn't deal with the continued QQ issues. I went and purchased the Avanti S in red. Very excited to have a plane I can trust. After reading through most of the posts, I can see people really do love this plane.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:05 PM
Retired US Navy
I think a poll would all have the same answer to that, YES.
Aug 23, 2019, 02:19 PM

My as3x settings for my Avanti s

Ok guys, getting ready to maiden my Avanti s. Been doing a lot of reading and asking questions about setting up the as3x. This is what I came up with for my settings. Only using 2 modes because I fly with a Dx7s and my only 3 way switch is on my flaps. Mode 1 is no as3x and mode 3 is as3x and heading hold. Kinda new to setting up the ar636 so any inputs will be welcomed. Thanks
Aug 23, 2019, 02:55 PM
I know nothing about setting up the as3x but, having maidened my Avanti today, I can confirm that, as long as you follow the advice in this thread and rate the aileron throw well down, there is really no need for a stabiliser. The model has that locked-in feel without gyro assistance. Of course, if flying in turbulent air then stabilisation would no doubt smooth things out a bit but, as long as the conditions are reasonable, I’d recommend turning the stabilisation off for the maiden flight - it’s just another set of adjustments to worry about.

Good luck,

Trevor
Aug 23, 2019, 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh
I know nothing about setting up the as3x but, having maidened my Avanti today, I can confirm that, as long as you follow the advice in this thread and rate the aileron throw well down, there is really no need for a stabiliser. The model has that locked-in feel without gyro assistance. Of course, if flying in turbulent air then stabilisation would no doubt smooth things out a bit but, as long as the conditions are reasonable, Id recommend turning the stabilisation off for the maiden flight - its just another set of adjustments to worry about.

Good luck,

Trevor

I would agree, Avanti does not need a gyro. Maybe rudder and nose steering but that's it.
Aug 23, 2019, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevorh
I know nothing about setting up the as3x but, having maidened my Avanti today, I can confirm that, as long as you follow the advice in this thread and rate the aileron throw well down, there is really no need for a stabiliser. The model has that locked-in feel without gyro assistance. Of course, if flying in turbulent air then stabilisation would no doubt smooth things out a bit but, as long as the conditions are reasonable, Id recommend turning the stabilisation off for the maiden flight - its just another set of adjustments to worry about.

Good luck,

Trevor
In my mode 1 I have 0 stabilization. Rates for ailerons at 65, elevator at 70, rudder at 70 and expo at 40. Hopefully this is dumbed down enough for my maiden
Aug 23, 2019, 03:37 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by C601
I would agree, Avanti does not need a gyro. Maybe rudder and nose steering but that's it.
I don't really understand comments like that. After all, no plane needs expo, dual rates or programmable mixing either but generally they all make a good pilot better.

Here's what a multi-time world champion says about gyros:

https://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/...d.php?t=181167
Aug 23, 2019, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend
I don't really understand comments like that. After all, no plane needs expo, dual rates or programmable mixing either but generally they all make a good pilot better.

His point is that some planes fly like you-know-what without it, some you care barely tell the difference, at least when there is no wind.

I don't like to put gyro on good flying planes, because 1) they do cost money 2) its a fiddle to get gains and direction right 3) it masks signs of stall especially when you are not familiar with a new plane.
Aug 23, 2019, 05:45 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincesd
His point is that some planes fly like you-know-what without it, some you care barely tell the difference, at least when there is no wind.

NO, that was NOT his point.

His point was summed up, in HIS words, by " No matter what level you are you will fly better. What is the end result? It pushes the flight envelope for the whole group. It opens the door for the next level of flight."
Aug 23, 2019, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallend

Has he flown the Avanti? IMO your Average EDF flier does not need a gyro for the Avanti. The wing and aerodynamics of the jet does the work quite well. Do some EDF's need a gyro? absolutely, I have one in my FW A4 and M2000 and they do make a difference.
Aug 23, 2019, 06:03 PM
How about the FW L-39? I hear it flys sweet too but still purchased one with mine. Should I just shelve it for now.

Sorry, off topic/on current topic

Quick Reply