Freewing 80mm Avanti S Sport Jet - RC Groups
Dec 07, 2016, 11:22 PM
Kicking Tires
New Product

Freewing 80mm Avanti S Sport Jet

Motion RC is proud to unveil an upcoming member of Freewing’s jet family, the 80mm Avanti S. The world’s only officially licensed foam electric Avanti, courtesy of SebArt and its titular designer, Sebastian Silvestri, the Freewing 80mm Avanti S is poised to thrill EDF pilots the world over with its sport jet styling and powerhouse performance. Sebart’s popular Avanti S design has distinguished itself for years in the turbine format, with the largest fiberglass/wood Avanti XXL topping out at a 2.5M wingspan and 40 pounds dry! The Avanti S in a variety of sizes and powerplants has won awards in freestyle, acrobatic, sport, and other classes in competitions worldwide. Its remarkable performance and crisp handling at all speeds sets it apart as one of the most sought after sport jets in the hobby.

We’re excited to bring this elite pedigree of design and performance to the foam electric class with the Freewing 80mm Avanti S. Here are a few quick specs on this aircraft, available worldwide in Spring 2017.

* Officially licensed by SebArt
* Same powerplant as Freewing’s popular MiG-21: 80mm 12B fan and 3530-1800kv outrunner
* Optimized ducting that eliminates the need for a cheater hole. The Avanti's ducting is clean like the Stinger 90 without obstruction
* Electric retracts and trailing link suspension struts for grass operation
* LED position lights
* 1236mm wingspan and 1300mm length (More wingspan than the Stinger 90, but lighter and cheaper)
* 115mph airspeed on stock outrunner and 6s 4000mAh battery
* Split flaps
* Spring-hinged nose door
* Digital Metal Gear servos all around
* Removable wings with quick disconnect plug

We'll publish more information as we're able. The model pictured is an EPO molded production sample, not a CNC prototype. I'm editing some video footage tonight. We'll post a preview of this hot rod in action within a couple days.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Dec 07, 2016 at 11:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2016, 11:24 PM
Kicking Tires
Reserved for video
Dec 07, 2016, 11:25 PM
Kicking Tires
Reserved for video 2
Dec 07, 2016, 11:29 PM
Kicking Tires
We couldn't let all the scale jet guys have all the fun! Following up on the 80mm Super Scorpion, originally designed for turbine class aircraft by Aviation Design and reproduced with their permission, we've had this Avanti under wraps for a while. SebArt has collaborated with Freewing for aircraft in the past, like the twin 70mm MiG-29 and more recent 90mm F-104. Bringing Sebastian's Avanti S to the foam electric class was a natural progression.

I've flown the SebArt 90mm fiberglass fuse/build up wing Avanti, on both P-20 and K-45 turbine powerplants, and it's a sweetheart flyer. I've flown a Skymaster Avanti XL as well, and its crisp rolls, effortless knife-edge, and rock solid slow landings always stood out to me. I'm satisfied that we did this model justice in the foam electric format, and we're all excited to finish production on this aircraft and get it in the hands of Freewing dealers and their customers worldwide.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Dec 07, 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Dec 07, 2016, 11:33 PM
Official Boat Bum
The Sebart versions fly amazing so now the foamie guys get to have some fun!
Dec 07, 2016, 11:40 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
Very cool!
Dec 08, 2016, 12:25 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Looks like fun!
Dec 08, 2016, 12:38 AM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Freaking sweet man! I love sport jets, so I'm looking forward to throwing this one around the sky.
Dec 08, 2016, 12:45 AM
Two great flying Sports Jets... Stinger 90 & Sebart Mini Avanti S ..
Last edited by HellHathNoFury; Dec 08, 2016 at 02:13 AM.
Dec 08, 2016, 12:59 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Can't wait!
Dec 08, 2016, 01:24 AM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Just to psyched up about some Avanti fun.....here is an absolutely amazing video of the large turbine version with thrust vectoring. It's truly bananas.

AVANTI S GIGANTIC RC TURBINE MODEL JET FLIGHT SHOW FROM SEBASTIANO SILVESTRI / Jetpower Messe 2015 (5 min 52 sec)
Dec 08, 2016, 01:50 AM
Registered RC NUT!
I just saw the video looks good!
Dec 08, 2016, 03:36 AM
SNEAK PREVIEW: Freewing 80mm Avanti S (3 min 27 sec)

looks and flies great, apparently - wondering how you are going to have a painted canopy (instead of a clear one w/ pilot) that will not look cheesy.
that's my biggest issue with the FMS 70mm Super Scorpion, and people have modded it with a clear canopy, just looks sooo much better...
I guess in the event, Parkflyer Plastics will offer something nice
Last edited by mopetista; Dec 08, 2016 at 05:51 AM.
Dec 08, 2016, 04:32 AM
2018 EDF Jet Jam June 14-17
Can hardly wait for this one! How cool would this be with a micro turbine for power!!
Dec 08, 2016, 04:55 AM
Kicking Tires
It's a good question! Fantasy sport jets are styled primarily for performance and don't always have realistic canopy proportions. Their canopies are sometimes far too long for their relative height and width, or are too narrow, or too sharp. The Avanti, Unico, Stilleto, Pirotti Rebel, Futura, and even the Stinger 64/90 fall into this category for me. There's a reason why most turbine sport jets like the Avanti paint their canopies a solid color, or if they do have a clear/tinted canopy, there are rarely pilot figures in the office. It isn't just about weight savings or internal space, but because pilots usually look a little "off"... either too large, or too small, or too narrow. A pilot sitting in the Avanti looked strange to us because in order for his head to clear the front console like a real pilot, his head needs to be large and up against the top of the canopy and it looks like he's flying the Spirit of St. Louis. If a smaller pilot is put in the office, his shoulders are far from the sides of the fuselage and he looks out of scale with the rest of the aircraft.

Practically speaking, the decision was made that a cockpit tub in the Freewing 80mm Avanti is better allocated for battery headroom to accommodate potentially bigger batteries, and benefits from the weight savings and cost of a complex cockpit tub, that would look weirdly proportioned, anyway. It might seem strange, but pilot figures and cockpits add more cost than one might suspect, and we really want to keep the Avanti a pure, straightforward sport performer. Omitting pilots and cockpits on a scale jet isn't something we'd ever do, but SebArt opted to go with the scheme shown above for his sport jet.

The yellow/white scheme above and second below is what SebArt chose for Freewing to model, including the blue opaque canopy, and we're working on a deep pearl color to really pop in the sunlight and give it just enough "flash" to make a statement while it's zooming around at 100mph. There are too many Avantis in the red/white/blue/gold "flourish" schemes right now in other sizes, particularly his most recent fiberglass/wood 90mm/P-20 version, so we all agreed the yellow is the best scheme to start. We don't have a yellow sport jet in our line up, while we have far too many red planes. If there's compelling consensus for pilots or a different scheme, there's a tiny window still open for me to try to push through a change.
Last edited by Alpha.MotionRC; Dec 08, 2016 at 05:11 AM.