This thread is privately moderated by phil alvirez, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 07, 2016, 01:00 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

landing-the most feared maneuver

i have seen experts doing all kinds of complex maneuvers with ease, but at landing, most of them seem quite nervous.
and its because when getting close to the ground, there is no tolerance.
when i learned to fly full size, 1 of the thing we learned was that when doing a turn downwind, the plane sank and became unstable. and many years later, when flying r/c, i remembered this.
now that am into r/c sailplanes, i recall when i got started many years ago, that there was a young man who flew sailplanes (no motor) and always landed at his feet. when watching him closely, i noticed that he never turned downwind. he did lazy 8s, facing the wind. and i have been doing this too. this way there are no surprises. so, even if i fly electric, that the motor can be started in an emergency, i always land deadstick and no downwind turns. and, if the field allows that, i do not flare-off. just push it gently towards the ground. this way, the landing is more smooth. no jumping and stalling at the last moment.
and the best advice to learn to land? practice! whatever is the most difficult thing to do, can be overcomed with more practice.
as i realized how hard was for me (and i think for everybody too), i decided to improve that, so i began to do short flights. climb for 30 seconds, then land. over and over again. so in 30 minutes i had 30 landings. kept counting until i got 6,000. by then, it was instinctive. now i dont have to think on it. is like walking: you dont have to think to move your legs, isnt it?
Last edited by phil alvirez; Feb 01, 2017 at 10:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply