Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 06, 2016, 11:42 PM
Build Log

Another Whirlybird Aviation PCA-2 Pitcain Build

Hi all
Its been a while since I have scratch built anything so I thought I would build the PCA-2 Pitcairn I got from Whirlybird Aviation a few years ago. This one will be built with a twist using parts you will be able to download and 3D print. These parts will be available to everyone for free if it is OK with Joe & Dave. NOTE this does not replace the fast kit available from Whirlybird Aviation but just aids in the construction of the model. The parts will be posted on my account at Thingyverse. http://www.thingiverse.com/kcmj/designs

The Plans and details are available at http://www.whirlybirdaviation.net/

Lets start off with the tail section. The parts that are normally balsa laminated which would be the outside rims of the control surfaces.
These have been 3D printed with ABS plastic with a honey comb filling. This means they are lighter than the laminated balsa and just as strong if not stronger.
If you were to download the files for these parts and print them, you will find they will fit perfectly with the plans.

Keith
Last edited by kcmj; Dec 08, 2016 at 04:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2016, 12:35 AM

The cowling

A bit of cad work in Sketchup and five hours of printing produced an awesome nose cowl only weighing in at 80 grams total. Also fits perfectly to the fuzz.
Dec 07, 2016, 12:48 AM

Making the blades

This tool may help anyone making there own auto gyro blades. The tool printed out as is will be the correct size for the PCA-2 kit which is 3 inches wide. Just stick on your sandpaper and sand away. I have not tried it yet so wait until I have tested it before you download and make your own. The tool was made using the template supplied in the kit. More on this later.

keith
Dec 07, 2016, 12:50 AM

The Fuzz

The fuselage is coming along nicely. F 6&7 were broken from the kit being moved around in my workshop for so long so I printed some replacements.

Keith
Dec 07, 2016, 01:22 AM

The Engine

Hi All again
I finished the dummy engine a while ago. This is the 1/6 Williams Brothers Pratt & Whitney Wasp. Now here is the debate

Do I go electric and keep that lovely engine fully intact or do I go IC which would mean cutting it up. I do like the sound of a four stroke in one of these putting around the sky.

I am thinking IC (FSA 90-100)

Keith
Dec 07, 2016, 03:38 AM
That's just a little impressive sport...........
Chris...
Dec 07, 2016, 05:30 AM
Thanks Chris
I forgot how much fun it is to build. I am having a ball!

Keith
Dec 07, 2016, 05:43 AM
Fit electric you cant cut that masterpiece radial
Lots of sound modules that can give you the sound effect
Joe
Dec 07, 2016, 05:50 AM
Hi Joe
Now that's a bloody good idea Joe. I had not thought of doing that. You can get some great sound modules now and small speakers too. It would be good to look at that now so I could build it into the fuselage.

Thanks
Dec 07, 2016, 05:52 AM
Just an after thought, an IC engine might shake the dummy engine apart too.

Keith
Dec 07, 2016, 04:26 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Gorgeous!!!!!
Dec 07, 2016, 11:36 PM
Hi Dave
Its a pleasure to meet the designer of this awesome model. Fantastic design mate.
Do you still have a PCA-2 of your own?

Keith
Dec 08, 2016, 03:08 AM

Mid Wing Section

OK! I stuffed this bit up. An easy part of the build turned complicated because I did not follow the plan. I got all the parts together and saw that the ply airfoil sections had a tiny notch in them where the 1/8 x 1/4 spruce was supposed to sit. I thought that is wrong and filed it out so the spruce would fit all the way down into the spar. Half way through the build I realized I had made a mistake. Only then did I look at the plan which confirmed what I had done. I think the photos will explain it better than I can. All turned out OK. Just had to modify the angled ply spars that glue into this section to join the outer wing sections. This also can be seen in the photos. Only down side is that the hard wood sections for the undercarriage are not flush with the skin. I will deal with that later. Done and dusted.

Should be like the photo of the underside that looks good and nice. Mmmmm!

Keith
Last edited by kcmj; Dec 08, 2016 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Add a photo
Dec 08, 2016, 03:22 AM

The Cockpit

I have been doing some work today on the scale cockpit. I found a photo of the cockpit on Miss Champion and I will be doing a representation of this. I have been doing some cad work in Google Sketchup which will be the basis for the finished cockpit dash. This will be a combination of 3D printing and scratch building. I would love to know if you guys have any other photos of Pitcairn cockpits. The more Info I have, the more detailed it can be for everyone to download and make there own.

Keith
Last edited by kcmj; Dec 08, 2016 at 08:39 PM.
Dec 08, 2016, 12:29 PM
The 1st Sofaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmj
Hi Dave
Its a pleasure to meet the designer of this awesome model. Fantastic design mate.
Do you still have a PCA-2 of your own?

Keith
Life is kind of crazy right now. Still trying to finish a gas 20cc DAG 60. I had started a PCA-2 but thought the DAG-60 would be faster! LOL! Many days are taken up with relaxing my back and getting epidurals. Got two kits downstairs that need to go out the door. After these two, I will set up a pickup service which is so much better. My post office is soooooo slow!!!! lol