RCGroups Review of the Hitec X2 700 - RC Groups

RCGroups Review of the Hitec X2 700

The Hitec X2-700 is a high-performance, charger/discharger that is suitable for most popular batteries on the market today. Lets check it out!

Splash

Hitec X2 Review

Product:Hitec X2-700
Retail price:$214.99
Dimensions:7.9x 5.5x 2.2"
Weight:2.69lbs.
DC Input Voltagel:11-30 Volts DC
Total Charge Circuit Power:1400 Watts x 2
Lipo/LiHV/LiFe/Lilon Cell Count/Range:2-8s/ 100-50,000maH
NiCd/NiMh Cell Count/Range:1-20s/ 100-50,000maH
Pb Battery Voltage/Range:2-24/ 100-50,000maH
Available from:HitecRCD

Hitec’s powerful X2-700 Multicharger is a great charging choice for all your favorite packs. This DC powerhouse features two 700-watt output ports for increased capacity and supports all battery chemistries. The microprocessor control and an internal resistance meter will make this a great choice for the workshop, flying field and track. With Hitec’s free “Charge Master” software you will be able to control the X2-700 through its integrated USB port from basic setup to full software analysis of your battery’s health and performance right from your PC. Lets take a closer look at this dual port powerhouse!

Review Video

Hitec X2 700 - RCGroups Review (3 min 54 sec)

Whats in the Box

The Hitec X2-700 ships with the charger, battery clamps for easy connection to your DC power source, 2x Universal Balancing Boards, XT-60 Charging Cable, Deans (T-type) Charging Cable, and 2x 18AWG cables you can solder up to your individual needs.

Features

The X2-700 comes with several really cool features that make it a breeze to set up and get to charging your favorite packs in no time at all. Lets take a closer look at what they have included.

Optimized Operating Software

The "auto" feature automatically sets the charge and discharge currents for you preventing over charging, and sounds an alarm while disconnecting the circuits for safety.

Data Store/Load

The user will be able to program a max of 5 setting profiles that can be recalled at any time.

Battery Balancer

The X2-700 has a built in cell voltage balancer to eliminate the need for a external balancer.

Balancing While Discharging

When used with a balancing board it can monitor and balance each cell in the pack individually while discharging.

Four Charging methods

Regular charging, fast charging, balance charging, and storage charging are all just a few button clicks away.

Syncronous Mode

While charging two identical packs, both channels can be set off of the channel one settings making set up much faster.

LiPo Battery Meter

The X2-700 has a built in battery meter that monitors the highest and lowest as well as each cells voltage.

Battery Internal Resistant Meter

Built in resistance meter that checks the resistance of each cell of the battery

PC Control

With the optional "Charge Master" free software download you can operate the charger from your PC with USB cable. (Not Included)

Operation

The Hitec X2-700 has a simple to navigate program selection menu that will get you charging in no time at all. The learning curve is very shallow and Mean Joe had it figured out in no time at all.

All you need to do to get started is connect the X2-700 to a DC power source using the included battery connectors, or an AC power source using a DC power supply and you will be ready to go.

Once you have power going to the charger unit use the Batt/Prog button in conjunction with the DEC. and INC buttons to select the options needed for the pack you are charging. Once you get the selection highlighted that you need hit the ENTER button to lock in your choices.

Now that you have all the options set for the pack you are charging push and hold the ENTER button until the unit starts its pack check process. Once this is complete it will promote you to hit ENTER again to confirm and then your off and running. Easy Peasy!

Charge Master Software

One of the cool things Hitec included with the X2-700 is total PC control using the Charge Master software. This program offers complete control over your charger as well as monitoring information for while your packs charge. All you need is a USB cable and you can plug right into an open USB port on your PC and have the X2 at your finger tips!

Built in Meters!

I had to take a second and point out the built in meters Hitec has included in the X2-700. These meters will eliminate the need for external meters while using the X2. This is really nice if you are like Mean Joe and have enough gear to drag to the field the way it is! Well done Hitec!

In Closing

In closing the Hitec X2-700 is packed full of user friendly features that will make it a go-to charger for any one looking for a high quality dual port charger at a great price. And backed by the quality of the Hitec name you just can't go wrong choosing this charger for all of your charging needs. ~Mean Joe

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Dec 07, 2016 at 08:50 AM..
Dec 12, 2016, 02:43 PM
Puerto Rico (USA)
Which would be a better choice between the X2 700 and the Graupner ultra Duo plus 80 in term's of features and faster balance charging?
I had the previous version of the X2 and it was Slow in Balance charging lipos compared to other chargers.
Last edited by luis94; Dec 12, 2016 at 09:41 PM.
Dec 13, 2016, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by luis94
Which would be a better choice between the X2 700 and the Graupner ultra Duo plus 80 in term's of features and faster balance charging?
I had the previous version of the X2 and it was Slow in Balance charging lipos compared to other chargers.
I answered your question in the main X2 700 thread but I'll go into a little more detail here. The original X2 400 only had a 200mah current drain capability for balance charging. Little slow, but it got the job done. The X2 700 has 4x the balance discharging capability, a total of 800mah. In our testing we've found that it balance charged even severely unbalanced cells in relatively short order compared to the original so if you're looking to upgrade from the old reliable X2 400 then the X2 700 is definitely the way to do. Same user interface so it should be a no brainer for those already using the X2 400
Latest blog entry: Multiplex FunCub XL!
Dec 13, 2016, 05:58 PM
Puerto Rico (USA)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress..
I answered your question in the main X2 700 thread but I'll go into a little more detail here. The original X2 400 only had a 200mah current drain capability for balance charging. Little slow, but it got the job done. The X2 700 has 4x the balance discharging capability, a total of 800mah. In our testing we've found that it balance charged even severely unbalanced cells in relatively short order compared to the original so if you're looking to upgrade from the old reliable X2 400 then the X2 700 is definitely the way to do. Same user interface so it should be a no brainer for those already using the X2 400
Thanks again for the info... That was the only issue that had me thinking ...but now that its been taken care of...i will definitely upgrade!!!
Jul 17, 2017, 11:08 PM
What is the maximum input current for this charger?
Jul 18, 2017, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob93447
What is the maximum input current for this charger?
Can you elaborate on your question?
Jul 18, 2017, 09:55 AM
OK, here is the issue. The specs say that the charger will operate using an 11 to 30 volt input. They also say that the charger will output 1400 watts. I am pretty sure that it will not output 1400 watts at the input voltage of my charger, 13.5 volts. It would need to draw over 100 amps of input current to make that happen. So what is that maximum input current for this charger? I'm guessing about 50 amps, but I would like to be certain.
Jul 18, 2017, 12:50 PM
Technically it can operate at 1400w on 11v but like mentioned that's huge current draw (127 amps+). To be more economical, you will want to run it at 24v which will let you get the full output power with a 60 amp supply- to keep a ~10% headroom for the power the charger itself will draw, I'd recommend at least a 70 amp supply.

Keep in mind current is pulling, not pushing.
Last edited by Xpress..; Jul 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM.
Jul 19, 2017, 11:42 AM
I tried loading it down this am. I set side one to charge a 5S battery (21v) at 16 amps. Side 2 would only charge a 4S battery (16.8 v) at 1.5 amps. Looks like there is about a 30 amp input limit for both sides when using a 13.5v input.
Jul 19, 2017, 12:20 PM
Make sure the power output settings in the charger are maxed out, they are set conservatively for those not using a big power supply. You can find the setting in the system set menu.
Jul 19, 2017, 02:16 PM
Xpress,

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to change things. I went into the power output settings; side one was factory set at 500w and I changed it to 700w; side two was factory set at 500w and I changed it to 700w. When I applied the load, essentially no change.

Side one was set to charge 5s at 20 amps and it actually charged at 16.9 amps at 19.37v.

Side two was set to charge 4s at 10 amps and it was operating at .5amps at 15.58v.

The dc power supply is rated at >60amps. It was holding steady at 15.57 volts during the above charge.

Are there any other input setting I should be changing or does the charger require higher voltage to get to the higher power settings?

Bob
Jul 19, 2017, 03:07 PM
Xpress,

I found the screen to set the input limits for the power supply, which was set at 30 amps. Changing that screen to 54 amps on side one allowed me to charge side one at 5s but was limited to 17 amps. Side two power input went from 4s at .5amps to 4s at 10.5 amps.

Question -- Side one is the had the screen to change the input limits for the power supply. Side two does not have a comparable screen?

Question -- What is the maximum input current for the 2x700?

Thanks for your help!

Bob
Last edited by bob93447; Jul 19, 2017 at 04:05 PM.
Jul 19, 2017, 06:03 PM
Try pushing your supply to 24v then, if capable.

Current is a figure of pull, not push as I mentioned before. You cannot push current to the charger, the charger can only pull current.