Katie Martin International Tribute 2017 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by bob57hdt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 06, 2016, 02:49 PM
Life is better now
Discussion

Katie Martin International Tribute 2017

KATIE MARTIN INTERNATIONAL TRIBUTE 2017

My fellow slope friends,

Its that time of year again to announce the 7th Annual Katie Martin International Tribute Fly-In. The event in the USA will again be hosted by the Torrey Pines Gulls at the beautiful Torrey Pines Glider Port slope near San Diego on Saturday, June 3rd, 2017.
I have not yet confirmed it , but I hope our good friends in Germany, Great Britain, Spain and Venezuela will be holding Tributes to Katie also.

This year I wanted to get the word out earlier so that those that wish to attend will have time to make arrangements and those overseas can begin planning too.

The last four years were a truly international events and my sincere thanks to everyone, here and overseas that came together to honor Katie.

Many will show up on Thursday and Friday, check out their aircraft and get a little flying in before the Tribute to Katie on Saturday. You are invited to join in the fun if you can make it. I will again try to be there on Thursday to get my planes ready and enjoy some good old slope soaring...Katie and my true love.

Bring as many planes as you can....brand, style, size does not matter....remember the conditions can vary from lead sled super soarers to super light DLG, so bring a variety.

LAST YEAR WE HAD APPROXIMATELY 55 DIFFERENT DESIGN SAILPLANES AND OVER 100 IN ATTENDANCE. SOME SAILPLANE NEARLY 50 YEARS OLD SPANNING UP TO THE PRESENT AND FROM AROUND THE GLOBE.

JUNE 3rd IS THE OFFICIAL DAY OF TRIBUTE TO KATIE. FLYING BEGINS AS SOON AS CONDITIONS PERMIT AND AT 12 NOON PST WE BEGIN WITH THE READING OF THE KATIE DEDICATION AND WE WILL HAVE THE OFFICIAL MOMENT OF SILENCE, FOLLOWED BY THE FLYING OF KATIE'S ORIGINAL HOBIE HAWK WITH HER ASHES IN THE NOSE FOLLOWED BY THE SPECIAL EDITION KATIE MARTIN SUPERHAWK THAT WILL FLY FORMATION WITH KATIE. WE THEN INVITE EVERYONE TO JOIN IN FLYING WITH KATIE. THE REST OF THE DAY WILL BE OPEN FLYING. A CHARITY RAFFLE WILL BE HELD IN THE AFTERNOON. A GREAT TIME SOCIALIZING AND FLYING WITH OLD AND NEW FRIENDS . ASK ANYONE THAT HAS BEEN THERE....IT IS A MUST ATTEND EVENT. MANY HAVE TRAVELED HUNDREDS OF MILES TO PARTICIPATE.

Here is a map on how to get to the Glider Port if you do not know. This link came from the Torrey Pines Gulls web site:
[/url]http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/torrey-pines-glider-port/

I encourage you all to make plans to attend and let us know what you will be bringing. Remember, this event is to honor Katie and enjoy a day of flying, food, fun, raffle, meeting old friends and making new ones. Any brand, vintage or size of sailplane is welcome. (no motors allowed)

If you wish to know more about the beginning and history of the Katie Martin Tribute click "https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2321337"HERE.

Watch for more news and comments on this thread soon.

Bob Martin
Last edited by bob57hdt; Dec 07, 2016 at 08:06 AM. Reason: SPELLING
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2016, 04:56 PM
It was just a flesh wound!
Hi Bob,

I can put the same announcement from this year in the May 2017 issue of the TPG Newsletter. If we get the June issue out early, I can include it there too.

Cheers,

Dale
Dec 06, 2016, 06:50 PM
Life is better now
Thanks Dale....that would be great.
Bob
Dec 06, 2016, 06:56 PM
Life is better now

Torrey pines rules for flying

In case you have never flown at Torrey Pines before, it is a San Diego Park, FAA Glider Port and Hang Gliding port as well as RC Sailplanes. For this reason there are some safety issues, insurance and rules that need to be followed. Here are those rules:

Let me assure you, it is easy and really worth the effort.

Now for the rules of flying Torrey Pines. Here are the rules and requirements:

1) Current proof of AMA membership
2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying. This is done at the flight shack at the south portion of the Gliderport. This takes about 10 minutes and normally results in writers cramp if done properly.
3) The cost of your share of the insurance burden is $10.00/day or $200.00/year for unlimited access. This will be paid when you accomplish item #4.
4) You must sign in on the flying roster at the counter in the flight shack with your name, AMA # and the date of expiration of AMA. You will be required to show your card to the administration person at the counter.

Torrey Pines is an active airport and must follow stringent rules, plus it is a park in the city of San Diego who requires these rules to be in place.
Most of you that will be attending are most likely not Gulls members, and are not rated to fly at Torrey Pines.

You are however allowed to fly Torrey as a Gulls guest as long as all of the above requirements are met. You must have a Gulls member as a spotter at all times if you fly as a guest.

You can also join the club and get a rating and fly unattended.

You must have a qualified Gull to give you a rating. Ratings simple to acquire and only take about 20 minutes or so.

If you have any questions of comments on flying Torrey Pines, please direct them to Ray Pili (Rockbus)(TPG Slope Coordinator) Also check out the Gulls web site, ( http://www.torreypinesgulls.org/ ) it is a very nice site with quite a bit of information.
Dec 08, 2016, 03:35 PM
Life is better now

Decisions for 2017

Now that we have the new thread started, I would like to open a discussion as to what we want for this years Katie Martin International Tribute.

Item number one, because of the lead time would be, "Do you want to have an event T-shirt this year?"

Last year we sold most of the 50 shirts we had to order, so there are a few 2016 shirts left. Anyone interested, PM me and I will let you know what sizes and color we have available.

If we want event T-shirts again this year......what image do we want? Pretty much the same as 2016 and change the date? Maybe Katie launching a Hobie Hawk instead of the SR-7? Something else.....? Put on your thinking caps. Speaking of caps.....maybe you would prefer Ball Caps?

I have found in over forty years with slope soarers that you are an extremely creative group of guys. Let's start a discussion.

Bob
Last edited by bob57hdt; Dec 08, 2016 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Left out stuff
Dec 08, 2016, 04:49 PM
Bob
I'm all for a 2017 T-shirt, and like the way 2016's turned out.
Curt
Dec 09, 2016, 06:09 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
2) There is an insurance waiver that must be signed before flying.
And signed and signed and signed.... ad nauseam.

But as Bob already suggested, it's worth it. The Torrey Pines flying site is second to none and flying with Bob and the group who shows up for the Katie Martin tributes is icing on the cake.

I'll definitely be there unless I'm awfully sick or awfully dead.

Pete
Dec 10, 2016, 12:34 PM
gonzalo contreras

following...

Dec 11, 2016, 05:01 PM
Bob,
I'm in.
I think shirts would be a great idea, once again. If you wanted to keep it simple, same design but different color? (and date of course)

Also, please count on me donating one or two sailplane kits for the raffle.

Katie must be smiling at us all.
John
Dec 14, 2016, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzalo contrera
And so do I.
Dec 14, 2016, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob57hdt
... Maybe Katie launching a Hobie Hawk instead of the SR-7? ...
That would be fine.
My young friend Cornelius, who is an outstanding "modell-designer", builder and pilot bought a Hobie Hawk last week.
He is an artist in grafics, too. Ill aks him for an idea.

Norbert
Dec 14, 2016, 02:36 PM

T-shirt

+1 on Katie launching a Hobie

Curt
Dec 15, 2016, 06:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwhite
+1 on Katie launching a Hobie

Curt
Perhaps something like this
Easily to change 2016 to 2017

Norbert
Last edited by nowa; Dec 15, 2016 at 06:35 AM.
Dec 15, 2016, 03:40 PM
Build Fly Crash Repeat
Flip the plane around, looks like it is being launched backwards!
Dec 16, 2016, 12:40 AM
Whadda YOU lookin' at?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adventrider
Flip the plane around, looks like it is being launched backwards!
I'd like to see the plane going to the right also.... just to compare I guess it depends in your head if she is tossing it toward or away from you?.... can be an optical (brain) illusion?

I like the idea very much!... awesome!