Help me ID this Pilatus B4 2.14m - RC Groups
Dec 05, 2016, 10:20 PM
It's time for me to fly
Discussion

Help me ID this Pilatus B4 2.14m

I just bought this B4 on the RCG classifieds, and trying to figure out who made it. Judging by the 2.14m (84") span I'm guessing it might be the 1:7 scale model by Rupert Schwabbauer of RS Modellbau (translated to English). But maybe there were others manufactured at this span? The measurements seem to match. The weight, as it is now (no servos, Rx or battery, but with lead in the nose and the steel joiner rod), is 1200g (42.3oz).
The fuselage is all glass except a short, wide band of carbon on the sides just below the wing and a thick arch of carbon tow behind the cockpit opening. The canopy looks like it was clear but has been painted black on the inside.
Wings are glass skinned over blue foam. Ailerons on the outer wing panels only, no flaps or spoilers.
Span = 2.14m, root = 150mm, tip = 95mm (84"/5.9"/3.75")
Stab is painted balsa, span = 406mm, root = 114mm, tip = 70mm (16"/4.5"/2.75")

Thanks for any comments or suggestions. This is my first scale sailplane....probably not my last!

- Jim

Here's some photos
Last edited by JimZinVT; Dec 05, 2016 at 10:30 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 06, 2016, 06:35 PM
It's time for me to fly
On closer inspection it looks like the wings are sheeted with 1/64" (~o.5mm) plywood with light glass over.

This may not be the Rupert Schwabbauer model, or not the original wings, because the airfoil does not look to me like the E211/E392 that is indicated on his website.

- Jim
Dec 09, 2016, 10:27 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Hi,

don’t know, which manufacturer produced your B4, but it’s with 99,9 % propability not Schwabbauer!

As mentioned before by Jim, the airfoil doesn’t fit, especially near the fuselage, where the Eppler-airfoil used by Rupert Schwabbauer looks completely different from the airfoil of your model.

Besides, the wings on a Schwabbauer-B4 this size don’t have a round joiner.

I fly a Schwabbauer-B4 this size since 1994 …

Sorry, that I can’t identify your model positively.

Andy
Dec 09, 2016, 11:05 AM
That thing almost hit me
Valenta produced one, but I think only as a 3mtr.....
Dec 09, 2016, 11:19 AM
It's time for me to fly
Thanks Andy. I had guessed it was the RS model because of the 2.14m wingspan; it was the only one I found at that span. But looking at the foam wingbeds just now, I see it's marked "Ritz 2312" which I'm guessing is "Ritz 2-30-12". Not as lifty as the E211/E392 but should be fun on the slope.

Can anyone tell from the photos if this rudder might be removable? There is a minor crack at the top of vert., and the top hinge point is a bit loose. Both would be would be easy to fix if I can take the rudder off. I'm not familiar with this type of construction. All of my other gliders have a solid balsa fin and rudder.
I can post better pictures if that would help.

Thanks.

- Jim
Dec 11, 2016, 07:35 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Jim,

I guess, the rudder is removable: Did you already try to lift the top-bolt with a knive or some blade?

Andy
Dec 11, 2016, 09:46 AM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by bie
Jim,

I guess, the rudder is removable: Did you already try to lift the top-bolt with a knive or some blade?

Andy
Not yet....never owned a model with this type of rudder (my others are either tape or fabric hinges), and was afraid to break anything.
I will give it a try....carefully!
Dec 12, 2016, 10:09 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Hi Jim,

Your Pilatus is from Topp Rippin.
It is the 207 cm version. Judging from the pictures the builder had tipblocks added which accounts for the difference in wingspan.
Everything els adds up. Especially the wingsection.

http://www.rc-tronics-topp-rippin.de...tclf9i6lie9m82

Good luck with it.

I have the 3,75 cm version, a fabulous glider.

Regards, Maarten
Dec 12, 2016, 11:46 AM
It's time for me to fly
Thanks Maarten, that does look like the one. Looking forward to getting her airborne in the spring. I've ordered servos and a battery.

Andy, Thanks, you were right: I was able to pry the top hinge pin out (actually just a small nail) and then lift the rudder off the lower "L" shaped pin. I found the looseness was the top gudgeon (maybe not the right word, that's what it would be called on a sailboat rudder) was loose in the fin. That's fixed now.
Dec 13, 2016, 04:29 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Thatís good news, Jim!
Dec 15, 2016, 05:59 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland

Help me ID this Pilatus B4 2.14m

As encouragement for you to get yours in the air I have a short clip from the day of the maiden flight of my Topp Rippin B4.

161030 B4 Maarten (1 min 33 sec)

The B4 is just a great glider, I'm sure Andy will agree 😀

Good Luck with yours!

Maarten
Apr 04, 2017, 11:40 PM
It's time for me to fly
I need to make a new horizontal stab for this glider. The one that was included is just 1/8" balsa and paint, and very fragile. I haven't flown her yet, but I've split it twice just mounting it to the fin.
I'm going to vac. bag one (or several) with glass (3oz / 100g?) over 4mm foam, with unicarbon and 1.7oz. /60g kevlar in the appropriate places. What would you guys suggest for hardpoints for the mounting screw and locator pin? I could inlay a strip of wood in the core while bagging, or do it like the DLG guys often do, just dig out the foam between the skins and pack in some epoxy/cabosil/chopped glass mix.
I'm thinking I could end up with a lighter stab that won't split every time I look at it too hard.

Was hoping for a first flight last weekend, but instead had 4" of rain with 50kt. wind and temps. just above freezing....like a cold hurricane. I'll be back at the dunes in 2 weeks; hoping for better weather.

- Jim
Last edited by JimZinVT; Apr 05, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
Oct 30, 2017, 02:37 PM
It's time for me to fly
I finally got to fly the 1:7 Pilatus B4. Perfect conditions for a slope maiden on the Cape Cod dunes....smooth 20+ mph wind out of the west, clear blue skies. She flew beautifully, just a couple clicks of down to trim her out. No surprises, just smooth graceful soaring and a successful landing. I know she's not big by the standards of this forum, but biggest I've yet flown, and I can see the attraction of going bigger!

Thanks to Jan (jcarstan here on RCG) for the photos and the launch
Nov 02, 2017, 11:39 AM
bie
bie
maidenflight-postponer
Hi Jim,

looks nice! Isnít she lovely? Donít forget to use the rudder (thatís a specialty with the B4) Ö

Andy
Nov 03, 2017, 12:15 PM
It's time for me to fly
I'm kind of dumb when it comes to using rudder other than at the top of a "stall turn", but I do have a little mixed with the ailerons.