Mar 22, 2017, 12:02 AM
Thread OP
Thanks gents
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2017, 11:20 AM
Thread OP
A bit under the weather at the moment, so last night just tidied up the landing gear, and cleaned up the very old wheels.
Mar 24, 2017, 09:57 AM
Thread OP
Starting to feel almost human again- so hope to have the wing finished, and the pylon and forward hatch done tomorrow. If that works out, covering can start
Mar 24, 2017, 11:00 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Glad to hear you are feeling better Al - go for it!
Mar 25, 2017, 05:39 AM
Thread OP
The wings are shear webbed, and the excess spar material cut off. Was very difficult to not add some extra ribs instead..

Either way, the wings seem reasonably strong, which is all we need. Have started actively fiddling with the pylon, and it seems that it may actually be easy! Will enjoy a cup of coffee, and then go look again, as nothing has ended up easy on this model, so perhaps I'm not seeing something....
Mar 25, 2017, 08:06 AM
Thread OP
Pylon made from spruce and balsa, forward hatch made up. Next up is to glue the wing together and let it dry overnight.

It's now Almost Ready to Cover
Mar 25, 2017, 09:56 AM
Thread OP

A Good Day's Modelling

It was a good day of building.

The esc/receiver are in, esc programmed, and the prop runs pretty smoothly with no obvious vibration. A big relief, as I was given the prop assembly and have no idea where it comes from... Also got the tail wheel ready to glue on, although I may not use it.

Time to start sanding and covering
Mar 25, 2017, 10:18 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Sounds like you can get it done in time Al...... The rare 23 looks great......

best regards,

jeff
Mar 25, 2017, 10:33 AM
Thread OP
Thanks Jeff. If I was to go all out it could definitely be finished in time, but will probably just keep idling along and see what happens. Just relieved to have the tricky bits done.
Mar 25, 2017, 10:43 AM
I'd rather be flying.....
Well, that's the right way to finish - not hurrying for a deadline but working toward satisfaction...... being ill didn't help out either.... Capri and I have been lucky so far, no winter illness got to us, now spring is starting here.....

best regards,

jeff
Mar 26, 2017, 11:59 AM
Thread OP
Some delays today, but did get a little done.

First up I'd completely forgotten the turtle deck, so made that up.

Secondly, I've been torn whether to add sheeting on the centre section, and had decided not to. But then, what will the rubber bands hold on? So after doing the turtle deck, I made up some sheeting for the middle of the wing, and was about to glue it on when it just seemed a sloppy way to do things. Instead I made up 2.5mm inserts for forward of the spar, glued them in and sanded them flush. Much happier now
Mar 28, 2017, 03:18 AM
Thread OP
Haven't been able to get much done since Saturday unfortunately. Planning to get an early night tonight, them start finally finishing off tomorrow. I know wings always take longer than I expect, and its the first time to use solartex- but hopefully it will go quickly. Very tempted to go with covering I am familiar with just to speed things up, but I think its better to stick to my nice conservative colour scheme
Mar 28, 2017, 08:46 AM
Don't rush it Al, it can always go into the CAP2017, at least you have one completed model for TBD.
Mar 28, 2017, 11:00 AM
Thread OP
Id forgotten the Tomboy!

Final pictures before covering and actually gluing stuff together
Mar 28, 2017, 12:13 PM
Looks nice Al - and light too!

Quick Reply