Jul 27, 2017, 12:15 AM
Thread OP

The Ultimate Test

The Sportster got to play with some friends this weekend

For my models the big test is always if they can survive a fly in at the reef. 350-400km each way in the back of the van , with the occasional pot hole /hard braking etc is a reasonable test of durability on its own, and then Johannesburg and surrounds are about 1000-1500m higher than where I normally fly.

The sportster survived the trip and flew well - being of a somewhat nervous disposition its always a huge relief when a plane behaves well at a different flying venue. It was a little breezy, and I completely misjudged my second approach ending up way down field on my second landing, knocking the rear landing gear mount loose with the rather inelegant arrival. I always forget to start my approaches a bit closer up there, as the altitude does make a difference. Guess no matter how good the model, pilot error remains a constant

All in all, the Chapter of Vintage Aircraft Pilots Memorial Fly in at RMAC's beautifully prepared and maintained field was fantastic, great people and a very nice club

Al
to remove ads between posts
Jul 27, 2017, 07:30 AM
That's quite the selection of O.T's!!! Looks like a blast
Sep 30, 2017, 06:04 AM
Thread OP
The little sportster behaved really well today, and just didn't want to land. Kept getting sucked up in thermals on final approach- most enjoyable. Did eventually get her down to one of my better landings eventually. Really enjoying this model...
Jan 27, 2018, 08:09 AM
Thread OP

The Vanishing Thermal

Had a really pleasant flight with the sportster this morning. I had no real intention of thermalling, just wanted to cruise around for a while. As luck would have it, soon after take off the whole sky seemed to be lifting! So much so that I had to cut the throttle just to stop her getting too small. Very pleasant really, and I drifted down wind slowly getting higher and higher, when abruptly she started coming down I powered up again, but just couldn't find anything worthwhile, and on the third power up the folding prop got stuck, so I had to dead stick.

The interesting thing is apparently there was an eagle circling some way below me, and just before I gave up a circling, he gave a flap or two and flew away- if he lost the thermal then I really don't feel bad
Jan 27, 2018, 10:43 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Never feel bad about losing a thermal Al, EXCEPT when there is some other guy who continues going up in it!! Especially if it is in a contest, then you can feel really bad!! Some lift just naturally peters out at some given altitude anyway.
May 06, 2018, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
I've had a continuous niggle with the sportster- every so often the prop gets stuck on the cowling. Ita never been a crisis, as she glides well, but it does mean that she generally gets flown more as a sports model than a climb-and-glide job.

Now that I am having fun playing with mixes and things on the radio, I really want to be able to glide, and know that the motor will be available on demand. A silly problem, and in the end a very simple solution! A tiny wedge now catches the back of the prop so that it clears the corner of the cowling if folded. Coloured silver, its not really obvious at all
May 06, 2018, 06:31 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
Fitted a brass rod stop to my small cobra for the same reason,kinda looks like the little snake has one fang.
May 06, 2018, 08:59 AM
Thread OP
Id forgotten your cobra, is she still flying?
May 07, 2018, 06:03 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
The snake will be back in the air soon,I just need to fix the wheel pod-I found a hole in the field with it last time out.
May 12, 2018, 03:25 AM
Thread OP
Had three really pleasant flights, including a bit of thermalling. The widget works just fine
Mar 23, 2019, 03:37 AM
Thread OP
With the usual Saturday forecast if showers/mist & rain, I decided to fly the sportster today- as thermalling clearly wasn't going to be an option. The forecast was spot on, but surprisingly the weather at the field was ok. Two pleasant flights, and then on the third, as we were about to start the landing pattern, a big patch of sun drifted down the field. A quick 180, and back upwind, and hey presto!a nice big thermal to play with
Oct 19, 2019, 10:47 AM
Thread OP
The weather was glorious this morning, and the sportster flew beautifully. Absolutely no thermals, so the flight wasn't particularly long, but most enjoyable nonetheless

Quick Reply