Oct 07, 2017, 02:03 PM
glider pilot in training
not a Kombat but same idea
to remove ads between posts
Oct 07, 2017, 04:24 PM
If you click on the plane picture it blows up big enough to read pretty much. Ya 1/4" bolts with a fender washer on the wing. The trailing edge of the wing has a spacer underneath to give zero incidence. You are probably aware of SPADs but here is a link with hours of reading and instructions and plans.http://www.spadtothebone.org/plans.html
Oct 08, 2017, 12:44 AM
Sorry I took so long to get back to you guys , had something on for the morning . So I understand now what you are doing and that is the same as I have done in my first and second attempt but was not happy with it as the first one broke at the bolt hole when it was knocked off the bench accidentlyand the second is no better strength wise to my mind . The third I tig welded two supports across so no hole and will try rubber bands , the same with the tail feathers . I'm sorry I can't put pics up as the gear is 350ks away at my other place up the country . The reason for all of this was I collected a lot of election signs (cor flute) from our local election sites and thought I would try again down here in Sydney . Another thing I was amazed at was your stated weight of 8lbs , I was working in the area of 3 to 3.5lb at the worst . But it's great to see what you guys are doing over there ,thank you for your time , will keep watching if that's ok and maybe jump in with some pics later as I get farther into the building .
Feb 22, 2018, 12:53 PM
Can i get the plans? I always wanted one of these as a kid. Took me a few months to find it and its so close i can taste it.
[email protected]
Feb 22, 2018, 04:02 PM
Earth-bound misfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertlynxaz
Can i get the plans? I always wanted one of these as a kid. Took me a few months to find it and its so close i can taste it.
[email protected]
Post #12 has moparpro's plan pic attached. High res is available by clicking the image in the site's viewer. All you need to do a build is in that pic
Feb 23, 2018, 10:21 PM
Anyone selling one?
May 14, 2018, 08:46 AM
glider pilot in training
i can't tell from the pictures but which way does the flutes run on the wing?
May 15, 2018, 04:58 PM
I have never had one, but blown up on the 40" TV, it looks like span wise flutes and 4mm coro. It could be lighter with 2mm corro and chord wise flutes. Strength, IDK if it matters unless you crash a lot.
May 16, 2018, 09:50 AM
Team Spektrum FPV
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspeed
I have never had one, but blown up on the 40" TV, it looks like span wise flutes and 4mm coro. It could be lighter with 2mm corro and chord wise flutes. Strength, IDK if it matters unless you crash a lot.
I had a Kombat 40,
the flutes ran spanwise, that is correct. I remember it being very tough coro, way more rugged than sign material. I wish I could remember what I did with mine, there might still be parts of it at my parent's house... I went through a few fuselages in bad crashes, and broke wing bolts, that's all I ever broke. I flew it originally on a Tower .40 engine, and later on a Super Tiger .45 that was older than me (RIP, that engine now rests on the bottom of Pinehollow Lake in Oregon )

I remember every detail of how it went together though if you guys have questions....

did you guys see there is still a website up? ( how is that possible?!?!?)
http://kombat40.50megs.com/
Nov 24, 2018, 09:04 PM
I bought what I was told was a kombat airmadillo 40 at a swap meat in Anderson Indiana several years ago. Moved right after that and never had the chance to mount an engine & try it out. It is still hanging in the ceiling of the garage at the new house. I bought it because I was flying several coroplast planes at the time and it looked interesting. It's kinda heavy. Will get to flying it someday.
Dec 21, 2018, 08:09 PM
Thread OP
Have any pictures of it. Would you possibly sell it. Thanks for your time.
John
Apr 06, 2019, 06:48 AM
Thanks for sharing this project. Fond memories of the little ad of this plane in Model Airplane News. Always thought it was interesting but never saw anything about it past the ad.

Quick Reply