Airmadillo Kombat 40 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 02, 2016, 09:46 PM
Build Log

Airmadillo Kombat 40

Some of you might remember The Airplane Factory in Mandeville LA that was lost to Hurricane Katrina. Well they had some awesome coroplas planes of different types and were awesome flyers and almost indestructible. I never lost the love so bought a couple off EBay and now mad my own. Pic's are included. Engine is a MVVS Quickie 500 with factory tuned pipe, 10X6 prop, Hitec Servos and 2000mah battery. Absolutely awesome plane.
This is the second one I built from scratch. Number 1 had a little accident do to structural failure.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2016, 02:22 PM
Must have weakened at the hole. I like basswood on booms for it's flexibility. It needs paint though, and I am lazy.
Feb 16, 2017, 04:48 PM
Great job on the dilla. I still have my kombat cruiser 40 but it needs a little repair to get it back into the air. What did you use to glue the spar to the wing and also the wing trailing edges together? I need to rebuild one of my wings. I love the way these things fly. Thanks!
Feb 16, 2017, 07:31 PM
Well on the Airmadillo for the wing I use a 3M spray contact adhesive that is industrial strength. The spar I use hot melt glue. Since the wing is folded over it, it will not move with the glue on both sides. Make sure you follow instructions on wait time and have plenty of clamps for holding it in place.
Feb 26, 2017, 04:38 PM
Hi,

Very nice build.
Can you please add links to eBay items that you ordered?
Feb 26, 2017, 07:07 PM

Airmadillo Material

I did not buy anything off of eBay. The 4mm coroplas was bought on line at ducoplasticsandsupply.com and the 6061 1/2 square aluminum tube I got from metalsdepot.com.
I already had 2 original planes plus the plans. I measured, cut, drilled, riveted and assembled. Fly's awesome. Make sure you have a strong engine.
Mar 05, 2017, 06:51 AM
Any chance to fly it with LIPO?
What about the plans, where can I find it?

Thank you
Mar 05, 2017, 04:04 PM

Airmadillo Material

I do not think it would be a good idea for a Lipo. The plane weighs about 8lbs with a Super Tiger 51 or the MVVS Quickie 500 like I have on it. Space is limited so a Lipo would no be a good fit.
I have the plans and could take a picture of them. They are only on 1 large page and not to scale.
Mar 17, 2017, 01:42 AM
glider pilot in training
I'd be interested in a look at the plans
Sep 05, 2017, 04:01 PM
Earth-bound misfit
I would very much like to see a good pic of the plan sheet posted. I have regretted ever selling my Kombat 40.
Sep 05, 2017, 06:31 PM
Send me your email address and I will send one. It's pretty good but I can do another later and send it. Send to: mopar.sst@twc.com
Thanks, John
Sep 05, 2017, 06:34 PM

Plans

Check this out. Still send email though.
John
Sep 07, 2017, 11:34 AM
Earth-bound misfit
Thanks for responding! Email sent!
Oct 07, 2017, 06:21 AM
Hi moparpro , I've started on three of this type of thing ( ST quickie 500 ) but have not found a successful way to attach the wing and tail feathers to the square tube . How do you attach yours ?
Oct 07, 2017, 12:04 PM
Not sure what you are doing but all pictures show that the wing and tail area is attached by bolts. The frame on the front has to be drilled and tapped for 1/4 20 bolts. The rear uses small metal bolts. The rear does not need to be tapped out.
Send me some pics so I can see what you have and maybe come up with some pics for you. John