Best Charger: Cheap, Charge via Balance Only, Charge via Main Lead Only, 1-6s - RC Groups
Dec 02, 2016, 11:38 AM
run
run
Question

Best Charger: Cheap, Charge via Balance Only, Charge via Main Lead Only, 1-6s

I searched for a while but couldn't find a good answer to this:

Is there a reliable LiPo charger capable of the following:
  • Charging via balance lead ONLY
  • Charging via main lead ONLY
  • Capable of charging hi-voltage lipos
  • Capable of charging 1-6s
  • Cost <$60 (if this isn't an option, I guess I can spend more)
  • Obviously capable of balance/normal/storage settings for JST-XH

I have some batteries with eflite connectors that would be a lot easier to charge if I could charge via just just balance lead (with an adapter)
The batteries that fatshark's use require lead balancing only. I'd like to be able to charge up to 6s ... but I really probably only need 4s. Just trying to buy one charger only.

Right now I have a Turnigy S60, which is fine and all, but leaves some features to be desired... no 1s charging. no balance lead only charging.

Or should I just track down the firmware for the SKYRC iMAX B6AC that allows main lead charging only and just deal with not being able to charge via balance lead....? Really that charger's only shortcoming is the inability to charge via balance only provided that the firmware that allows charging via main lead only is actually out there.
Last edited by run; Dec 02, 2016 at 01:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2016, 04:12 PM
I've yet to find the perfect charger! I have a lot of eflite cells that require a lot of various adapters. I have an Imax D100 that is a good charger but also won't charge through the balance port only, why they do this I don't understand. I also think that in addition to everything else a charger should be able to handle four different cells at once. I think heat is an issue with chargers ability to handle more than two 4S + cells at a time.
Dec 02, 2016, 05:42 PM
Takes a lot of extra hardware to do node only charging.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=107

Alternatively you could make an adapter like the last pic in this post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=192

Or point 5a+6 in this post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Lixx-PB-packs
Dec 02, 2016, 06:52 PM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
I'm perpetually amazed by how often "best" and "cheap" keep appearing in thread subjects.

Pete
Dec 03, 2016, 08:12 AM
run
run
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcaferacer
I've yet to find the perfect charger!

it's looking like i'm about to arrive at the same conclusion. And i'm not super thrilled (yet) about the direction that chargers are going - seems like the price is going up and the biggest additions are touch screens :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinkslynx

Alternatively you could make an adapter like the last pic in this post.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=192
Thanks! there's a ton of great information in the links you sent along - perfect! I'll be honest - the general topic of electricity scares me a bit. I'm very worried about starting a fire or damaging batteries. I do think i'll end up making an adapter like the one you linked to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGR
I'm perpetually amazed by how often "best" and "cheap" keep appearing in thread subjects.

Pete

Thanks for your feedback, Pete. I rely on essentially the generosity of members like those that responded to this question to take their time to craft an answer and hopefully pass along some gems and tricks of the hobby that they've learned over the years. I'd like to avoid using terms that many members would find tiresome or eye rolling worthy.

Next time i'll omit the term "cheap" to perhaps make it more clear that i'm not asking for THE best - but for the best within a specified price range that happens to be at the bottom of the pricing tiers for chargers. I thought that "cheap" summed that up nicely.

Maybe I'll also consider doing away with "best", too, and instead writing "most reliable", or "fits my lengthy list of requirements most closely and won't start a fire" ... hmm might be tough to fit all this into a subject line that captures people's attention ... i'll figure it out ...
Dec 03, 2016, 09:19 AM
Glad to be of help.
If you are worried about starting a fire, consider putting the money saved towards a Bat-safe.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...y-Charging-Box
Dec 03, 2016, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by run
it's looking like i'm about to arrive at the same conclusion. And i'm not super thrilled (yet) about the direction that chargers are going - seems like the price is going up and the biggest additions are touch screens :/

Thanks! there's a ton of great information in the links you sent along - perfect! I'll be honest - the general topic of electricity scares me a bit. I'm very worried about starting a fire or damaging batteries. I do think i'll end up making an adapter like the one you linked to.

Thanks for your feedback, Pete. I rely on essentially the generosity of members like those that responded to this question to take their time to craft an answer and hopefully pass along some gems and tricks of the hobby that they've learned over the years. I'd like to avoid using terms that many members would find tiresome or eye rolling worthy.

Next time i'll omit the term "cheap" to perhaps make it more clear that i'm not asking for THE best - but for the best within a specified price range that happens to be at the bottom of the pricing tiers for chargers. I thought that "cheap" summed that up nicely.

Maybe I'll also consider doing away with "best", too, and instead writing "most reliable", or "fits my lengthy list of requirements most closely and won't start a fire" ... hmm might be tough to fit all this into a subject line that captures people's attention ... i'll figure it out ...
Okay I won't get into the semantics here as there is no point.

A couple of thoughts for you to consider. FMA makes what they call a Multi 4S which will do node only charging but no more than four cells. Above that you'd need a different charger and what I've done is to make an adapter lead much like the one pictured in that other thread, which includes positive and negative banana plugs from the lead to the appropriate charger ports. This works but DO NOT charge above 4 amps, the balance connectors will not take the heat and will melt. Then guess what touchs????
Dec 03, 2016, 09:18 PM
run
run
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeb

A couple of thoughts for you to consider. FMA makes what they call a Multi 4S which will do node only charging but no more than four cells. Above that you'd need a different charger and what I've done is to make an adapter lead much like the one pictured in that other thread, which includes positive and negative banana plugs from the lead to the appropriate charger ports. This works but DO NOT charge above 4 amps, the balance connectors will not take the heat and will melt. Then guess what touchs????
I might be too much of a wuss to make this work .... but that FMA charger looks like great option! Thanks for the tip!
Dec 03, 2016, 10:06 PM
Quote:

I believe you mean the Multi4 charger.

http://www.revolectrix.com/m4_description_tab.htm
Dec 04, 2016, 02:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmic
I believe you mean the Multi4 charger.

http://www.revolectrix.com/m4_description_tab.htm
Oh yea gods, haven't you got anything better to do than patrol the forum threads looking for typos?

The OP got the jist of what I said so now why don't you crawl back down your hole while keeping your irrelevant comments to yourself ??????

And people wonder why these forums are going to hell......
Dec 04, 2016, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Oh yea gods, haven't you got anything better to do than patrol the forum threads looking for typos?

The OP got the jist of what I said so now why don't you crawl back down your hole while keeping your irrelevant comments to yourself ??????

Is a little technical accuracy really that hard to accomplish? Really? A two second Google search provided me with all information I needed to pass along to the OP including the URL to the manufacturer's product specs.

Not sure how additional information could be considered irrelevant.

If you wonder why these forms are going to hell just reread your post.

If you don't like what others have to say feel free to use the ignore feature.
Dec 04, 2016, 05:08 AM
Suspended Account
the M4 will not meet OP's needs he said 1-6 cell.. missing 2 cells..
Dec 04, 2016, 08:18 AM
PGR
PGR
Low AltiDude
Quote:
Sorry you feel that way, Zeeb, but it's a mistake to think you're speaking for anyone but yourself.

Pete
Dec 04, 2016, 09:06 AM
To the OP, Fatshark now says to charge only through the main lead, not balance.
Dec 04, 2016, 11:31 AM
Unregistered User
Doesn't simply connecting main and balance together on a $10 Ebay B6 fit the requirements?

I am always amazed that "cheap" is sometimes interpreted on the internet as "spend much more money than necessary". In my particular culture it's common to consider extravagance and excess to be virtues instead of faults. "Look how much dough I can just toss in the fire! I'm rich!" (even if it ain't actually so)

Quick Reply