Dec 02, 2016, 10:23 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
Video

Some sizzling sailing

Video of the two current leaders, Alex Thomson and Armel Le Cléac’h, near the Kerguelen Islands, in the deep deep south of the Indian Ocean. In French and English

"The Vendée Globe is a round-the-world single-handed (solo) yacht race, sailed non-stop and without assistance."
VG Youtube channel

Exceptionnel ! La Marine Nationale nous a envoyé les images d'Armel et Alex / Vendée Globe (3 min 10 sec)
Route Vendee Globe (0 min 48 sec)
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Nov 19, 2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: + Ocean - Sea
Dec 02, 2016, 10:50 AM
Suspended Account
Those guys let it rip

But, better them than me, to wet and to cold and no beer.

Dec 02, 2016, 10:51 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Thanks, Ron - that is some excellent footage!

I've done quite a lot of solo sailing, but nothing quite that intense. I started in the early 70s after reading Sir Francis Chichester's `The Lonely Sky & Sea'. I'm still at it, but do prefer a crew on occasion.

Solo racing has come a long way since then, especially with the high-tech materials and equipment. In the early races, the boats would be out of communication for weeks, if not months, and the state-of-the-art navigation was the sextant. Occasionally, a boat was lost, unknown until it didn't arrive at a destinated port. These days, the boats are in satellite contact with the outside almost continuously, and help is more readily available.
Dec 02, 2016, 11:15 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Holy cow !

I watch the Port Huron to Mackinaw race go by every year, but those sleds are some crazy stuff!
Dec 02, 2016, 11:29 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3
... In the early races, the boats would be out of communication for weeks, if not months, and the state-of-the-art navigation was the sextant. Occasionally, a boat was lost, unknown until it didn't arrive at a destinated port. These days, the boats are in satellite contact with the outside almost continuously, and help is more readily available.
The Vendée Globe seems to harken back to those days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
... The competitors may stop at anchor, but may not draw alongside a quay or another vessel; they may receive no outside assistance, including customised weather or routing information. ...
... The race presents significant challenges; most notably the severe wind and wave conditions in the Southern Ocean, the long unassisted duration of the race, and the fact that the course takes competitors far from the reach of any normal emergency response. A significant proportion of the entrants usually retire, and in the 1996–97 race Canadian Gerry Roufs was lost at sea. ...
(several lost at sea over the years, RvS)
Dutch competitor Pieter Heerma is president of Heerema Marine Contractors, a.o.
[videos] world's largest ship - RCG

Prettig weekend Ron

Pioneering Spirit removing the Yme topsides HD (10 min 52 sec)
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Dec 02, 2016 at 12:33 PM.
Dec 02, 2016, 11:51 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
The Vendee Globe solo around-the-world race is occurring now. If you want to track the live progress, go here:

http://tracking2016.vendeeglobe.org/hp5ip0/

No Americans are in the race, lots of French (the French have always taken their solo sailing seriously), and a lone Brit who is presently in the lead. Go Britannia!!
Dec 02, 2016, 12:06 PM
Random Pic #23982
Amazing. I did not know it was going on!

I can root for the Brit and he looks good for extending the lead if he stays on the wind.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:12 PM
"28 knots of breeze"
Awesome
I love how protected the cockpits are.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:25 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Here is the Facebook link for Alex Thompson Racing, the current leader (Welsh):

https://www.facebook.com/AlexThomsonRacing/

But, there is about 2 months left in the race...
Dec 02, 2016, 12:31 PM
Will it ever happen
The fully loaded Boss racer was leaving the navy vessel behind.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:39 PM
B A bay B E be B I bicky bi
Not sure which I find more amazing, the fact that they can lean at such a steep angle and keep going, or that their cajones dont sink the ship.

Makes me cold just watching, but I bet their heart rate keeps them toasty warm.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:40 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMenter
The fully loaded Boss racer was leaving the navy vessel behind.
The navy vessel is not in the race, but I doubt if it has the fuel capacity to be a true competitor for the distance, anyway.
Dec 02, 2016, 12:44 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro_builder
Not sure which I find more amazing, the fact that they can lean at such a steep angle and keep going, or that their cajones dont sink the ship.
Now, that's a giggle, but a valid observation...
Dec 02, 2016, 05:19 PM
Suspended Account
Here is a nother one. The guy is jumping around his floating bath tub without safety line, crazy guy

Vendée Globe Southern Ocean HUGO BOSS -* credit : Marine Nationale / TF1 / Nefertiti Prod (4 min 12 sec)
Dec 02, 2016, 05:28 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrott
Here is a nother one. The guy is jumping around his floating bath tub without safety line, crazy guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLobesQDSAU
That's the leader - a Welshman. The Welsh don't need no stinkin' safety lines...

(Although, I bet he has one, you just can't see it in the video.)

Quick Reply