Dec 02, 2016, 07:30 AM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
Build Log

Depron Skyray Pusher Prop

Decided to build the Skyray MK4 in Depron instead of Foam Board, hopefully it will be a lot lighter this way

Not many parts to this one and its a very quick build if you use hot glue as I have

Thought it might be better to start a new thread rather than keep adding to the Ez-Jet thread

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 02, 2016 at 07:50 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 02, 2016, 07:31 AM
Thread OP
Specs

Wing Span: 760mm
Length: 960mm
Weight: with 1500 Graphine / 3s battery : 680 grams (before nose retract)
Weight: with 1500 Graphine / 3s battery: 743 grams (with nose retract)
Weight: withiut battery: 582 grams (with nose retract)
Motor: Turnigy D2826-6 2200kv Outrunner
ESC: Turnigy Plush 40amp Speed Controller
2 x 9 gram servos
One and a half sheet of 6mm Depron
1 x cheap 4mm CF tube from HK

Lockey

Plans are now available at: http://www.lockeysrcplans.com
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 06:55 AM.
Dec 02, 2016, 09:56 AM
Lockey, you surely make it look EASY!
where'd you get that HUGE cutting board. i'm jealous.

david
Dec 02, 2016, 10:11 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomer
Lockey, you surely make it look EASY!
where'd you get that HUGE cutting board. i'm jealous.

david
Thanks David, got the cutting mat on line, its AO size self healing mat

You know with a little practice it IS so easy

Lockey
Dec 02, 2016, 11:14 AM
When cows fly!
Ah! My favorite plane I thought the Zombie Ray was beat up! The one on the left has definitely seen better days I might have to build one out of Depron when I get a chance to get back building! And for those that are new to the Skyray, here is my Mark IV version in DTFB. And yes, the Zombie Ray is still alive and just waiting to be charged up and flown
Strafing Runs With The SkyRay (6 min 28 sec)
Dec 02, 2016, 07:30 PM
Thread OP
Nice one David and thanks for sharing mate ... must be great to be able to just step out of your back door and have a fly .. I am envious of you for that mate.

This one flies so well I am working on a MK5 ... simpler "Ez-Build" same way as I built the Cherry Bomber

Lockey
Dec 02, 2016, 08:38 PM
We were talking Skyray builds at indoor flying last night - coincidence, could be southern hemisphere thing?

The Skyray being flown was a profile pusher but he had a larger one, fuller fuselage, for outdoor flying but not with him at the meeting.

Plans to come I presume?
Dec 02, 2016, 09:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for popping in Mac, this particular Skyray was an offshoot form a Skyray I did for either Pusher or EDF ... thus the MK4 Skyray

I have built this from plans that I did quite a while back so I know she is a great flier

I will post the plans here on post #2 if anyone wants to have a go at building it, only ask is that if you build it you post a few pics of your build for us all to see

Lockey
Dec 02, 2016, 09:34 PM
I await post #2. :-)
Dec 02, 2016, 10:02 PM
When cows fly!
I am the biggest fan of the Skyray! Easy to build, and it looks really scale in the air, flies really well! You can build it really light and it is a floater and helps build confidence. You can build it a little more beefy, put a big motor and a big battery in it and it bucks the wind and lets you fly when conditions are less than ideal. My first was a Mark II and I built it light. It was great to learn on I had much fun. After the demise of the Mark II, I built the Mark IV and actually used some really big foam board normally used in picture framing. Actually pretty heavy, but I didn't have to use a carbon fiber spar. That is the one that is still flying to this day. I normally only take it out when the wind is above 12 or 13 mph. And it really loves it when the wind is starting to churn at 20 mph! I have a had it out in 30 mph winds, I slap a 2500 mah 3s way far in the nose and let it just have a good time! It is now called the Zombie Ray since the front fuselage is mostly tape, hot glue and reinforcing balsa. But, of all of Lockey's designs, if you are gonna build one, then do this one! A satisfied customer in Elizabeth, Colorado USA!
Dec 02, 2016, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Only thing with the Skyray is the launch ... it flies great no matter what the weight, but can be difficult to get to flying speed if its a bit on the heavy side

My last one was built from foam board and most of the nose bangs were from bad launches where the speed wasn't quite enough to get her in the air

This is why I thought I would build one from Depron and see if it gets away any easier

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 03, 2016 at 03:07 AM.
Dec 02, 2016, 11:46 PM
Thread OP
Decals for the new Skyray ... what do you think guys ??

Lockey
Dec 03, 2016, 02:56 AM
Thread OP
More build on post #3 .. Ready for maiden

Hey David ... what motor / prop / battery did you use on your heavier one ?

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 03, 2016 at 03:08 AM.
Dec 04, 2016, 01:07 AM
Thread OP
A bit of trim

Because it took off from the grass so well with the makeshift wheels, I decided to fit a cheap retract

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 04, 2016 at 02:00 AM.
Dec 04, 2016, 02:00 AM
Thread OP
Maiden

Lockey

Skyray MK4 Maiden (4 min 53 sec)
Dec 04, 2016, 10:55 AM
When cows fly!
Dec 04, 2016, 10:58 AM
When cows fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockey
More build on post #3 .. Ready for maiden

Hey David ... what motor / prop / battery did you use on your heavier one ?

Lockey
I will have to check, can't remember. When I am out in the shop I will pull her down and take a look. I am thinking it is a Turnigy 2826, but I could be wrong!
Dec 06, 2016, 10:39 AM
Closed Account
Last edited by Oxford Circus; May 25, 2017 at 09:37 PM.
Dec 06, 2016, 10:57 AM
Thread OP
Thanks a million OC for your FIRST order on my web site, I am sure you will have lots of fun with this one

Lockey
Dec 10, 2016, 10:44 PM
Thread OP
Went out this morning and tested the new retractable nose wheel and it does the job nicely

Lockey

Skyray Retract Test (3 min 7 sec)
Dec 11, 2016, 09:26 AM
When cows fly!
Lockey,
We need to see pictures of the retracts! I would love to put retracts on a plane, but my flying fields are just too darn rough!
Dec 11, 2016, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpalmer146
Lockey,
We need to see pictures of the retracts! I would love to put retracts on a plane, but my flying fields are just too darn rough!
David the pics are on post #15 ...

I am only using it to lift the front of the ground for take off then in it comes and belly land with it in, I am sure I would be always be breaking it off if I was to put it down for landing

As for "your flying fields are too darn rough" why don't you flatten and mow a part of one and make a decent landing strip .. hope its done before I come and visit ... I want to be able to take off from a decent runway you know

These are the el - cheapo's that I use for this sort of thing and you don't have to go to great lengths to fix them in ... just hot glue a bit of 3mm ply and a bit of foam re-enforcing behind ... if it rips off, just hot glue it back on again ... heck, you could even hot glue the retract in place

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/electric...1pc-18-8g.html

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/electric...-trunnion.html

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Dec 11, 2016 at 06:35 PM.
Dec 20, 2016, 11:31 PM
Closed Account
Last edited by Oxford Circus; Jul 05, 2017 at 11:12 AM.
Dec 21, 2016, 03:45 AM
Thread OP
Am thinking maybe using the Skyray wing (little smaller to fit on the depron sheet) and a fuselage similar to the JudyJet thingy only with a step so it should slide on grass or water

I am at present laying in my cabin on the Sun Princess ready to depart later for Indonesia .. yea

That looks like a nice little motor / ESC combo OC, would that be able to be used on a airplane ?

Lockey
Dec 21, 2016, 09:45 PM
skumgummi dave
It's a hard life Lockey, but somebody has to live it. Good on ya mate!

Dave-

Quick Reply