Dec 14, 2016, 10:23 PM
Onward and upward.
Nice work, Stephen. How are you planning to finish your deck?

Randy
to remove ads between posts
Dec 14, 2016, 11:14 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I'm planking the deck with 1/8 x 1/16 inch basswood strips, plus a mahogany toe rail round the deck edge.
Dec 15, 2016, 08:37 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Toe rail/ King Plank

I started the planking with 1/8x 1/16 basswood strips to form the deck edge You can see in the pics that I have provided a notch in which to lay mahagony strips. The outer edge will be faired into the hull.
Dec 17, 2016, 09:06 AM
W Kuhns
You are doing a beautiful Job. You are truely a craftsman and it shows. I can't wait to see the finished deck let alone the entire boat. Love watching your progression with the boat. Too bad you don't live closer would enjoy sailing with you and Hans. Sailing is long over for this season at least for me. Today for instance, we have 6 inches of snow on the ground and I'm betting we are getting at least another two to three. At least I will get some projects done. Keep postin really enjoying your thread. Bill
Dec 17, 2016, 08:49 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Bill. Temps dropped here in TX too yesterday was 74 deg. Tomorrow will be 19 ! West Texas is very unpredictable. Anyway. I'm a teacher and its winter break, so, I should get a lot of work done!
Dec 17, 2016, 08:53 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Fairing in the keel.

I rough sanded the keel followed by a coat of thinned resin to fill the pits. I've just given the keel a coat of bondo
Dec 18, 2016, 04:08 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Sanded, filled and sanded again. Smooth as a babies butt. Ready for primer ( followed by more filling, sanding ).
Dec 19, 2016, 01:00 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Planking

Planking begins! I am using 1/8 x 1/16 inch basswood strips with black construction paper in between The king plank is 1/2 X 1/16 basswood As you can see I am carefully notching out the king plank as I go , in keeping with prototype practice. It's slow going , but I think the effect will be worth the effort.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Dec 26, 2016 at 09:47 PM.
Dec 21, 2016, 08:51 PM
W Kuhns
What color are you painting it?
Dec 22, 2016, 12:15 AM
Modeler/ Historian
The hull will be green above the waterline, copper below the waterline with white boot topping. The deck will be natural finish, treated with Tung oil. The toerail and cabins will be red mahogany. Only the mahogany brightwork will receive a varnish all the decking will be kept a satin finish.
Dec 22, 2016, 12:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Decking is nearly complete. You can see the deck prior to sanding with black construction paper sticking up. Post sanding you can see the caulking effect.
Dec 22, 2016, 08:27 AM
Great job planking the deck. I have always wanted to try planking it like you have done.

Ed
Dec 22, 2016, 10:22 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Ed, this was my first try with this style of planking i.e. following the line of the deck edge and notching the king plank. Also the construction paper caulking, which is a trick I picked up from one of the Task Force 72 (warship modelers) in Australia. Essentially the paper gets saturated with thin CA glue as the planking is laid, sanding down leaves the black paper as a thin (read scale) caulk line. The next step is treating the deck with Tung Oil, protecting the wood, while it remains in a satin natural finish.
Dec 23, 2016, 06:44 AM
W Kuhns
Hans was showing me that technique with the black construction paper in between planks. Very nice. I'm not set up for that nor do I have the hands to do that anymore. But it sure looks terrific. I just straight plank. Doesn't look as good but it's wood. You are doing a terrific Job. That is going to be one beautiful boat. I think it's time for me to get rid of the band saw lol
Dec 23, 2016, 09:18 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Bill. Now is when the build gets really interesting. I intend to scale up this boat, but, keep it race ready. So, I will need to keep things as light as possible. I've picked up a few tricks building 1/96 scale Destroyers. I'm sure I can pull it off.