Canterbury J #590 "Shamrock V" - Page 4 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 10, 2016, 07:10 PM
Modeler/ Historian
One more shot. I fabricated a small bearing bracket for the lower rudder.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2016, 07:30 PM
Service First
You decide on a rudder servo?

I am using a 225mg, 66oz on 6v and light so getting up in the hull a little won't hurt.
Dec 11, 2016, 08:41 AM
Modeler/ Historian

Rudder Servo

I'm using a Hi-Tec HS-311 analog servo I thought of going smaller but decided on a standard size for reliability. It is fairly light so I mounted it high, in order to be easily accessed and provide for the most direct linkage. I fabricated the tiller from brass strip soldered to a 1/8 ID du bro wheel collar. A du bro ball link at each end of a carbon fiber rod completes the linkage.
Dec 11, 2016, 11:36 AM
Modeler/ Historian
All of the wood parts have been thoroughly coated with thinned epoxy. Any additional timber will be similarly treated prior to installation. After I have mounted the sail servo, all of the moving parts and electronics will be removed prior to installation of the sub deck...
Dec 11, 2016, 09:40 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Sub Deck

The paper template has been transferred to 1/32 inch birch ply. Centerline, main hatch and mast step location marked prior to cutting.
Dec 12, 2016, 07:52 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Deck is cut underside coated with thinned epoxy, and ready to be fitted
Dec 12, 2016, 11:22 AM
W Kuhns
Nice work Stephen. So much better than me now. Wish I still had it. Howevwr I enjoy watching your work. Keep on keeping on....
Dec 12, 2016, 11:31 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Bill, I am really enjoying this build.
Dec 12, 2016, 11:33 AM
Kevin Gault
Stephen,

You mentioned "fabricating" the lower rudder gudgeon. Does Hans not supply one now? On my boat, he supplied a stamped brass one with his resin rudder.

Enjoying following your build....LOOKS GREAT!!!!

Kevin
C-J #551
Dec 12, 2016, 11:37 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Perhaps I missed it. I did fabricate mine. No biggie I'm an old hand at it.
Dec 13, 2016, 10:38 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Tonight I will fair in the keel, prior to glueing down the sub deck. Pics to follow...
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Dec 13, 2016 at 10:48 AM.
Dec 14, 2016, 12:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian

Rudder hatch

As so often happens in builds which require a high degree of fabrication I find I must make a slight course change. Inasmuch as nothing is infallible I am making provision for a rudder hatch. I have added an additional deck beam with sufficient bracing to handle any loads ( primarily from the back stay). If or when something goes wrong with the rudder linkage , I am covered.
Dec 14, 2016, 10:50 AM
Modeler/ Historian

Fitting the sub deck

The sub deck of 1/32 inch birch ply has been epoxied in place.
Dec 14, 2016, 01:27 PM
Wow, you are moving right along. The "CJ" is looking good.

Ed
Dec 14, 2016, 07:53 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I removed the tape and trimmed/ sanded the edges flush. I paid particular attention to the hatches.