Dec 05, 2016, 12:07 PM
Modeler/ Historian
After I have sanded everything flush and ready for the deck, I will seal the beams with epoxy thinned about 25%. I thin the epoxy with denatured alcohol
to remove ads between posts
Dec 05, 2016, 12:37 PM
Kevin Gault
Coming along nicely Stephen. Yea the sheer strips are a bit tricky aft with the way the aft quarter of the hull tapers.

Nice job!

Kevin
C-J #551
Dec 05, 2016, 01:19 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks, I am really enjoying this build so far.
Dec 06, 2016, 01:39 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Ready for sealant

Stern pieces , and shroud doublers in place. Block sanded and ready for sealant. I will use epoxy thinned 25% with denatured alcohol.
Dec 08, 2016, 08:13 AM
Modeler/ Historian

Fitting the deck

I've made a template using printer paper.I laid the paper directly on the deck framing and traced it with a sharpie. The deck will be cut from 1/32 birch plywood
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Dec 13, 2016 at 02:56 PM.
Dec 08, 2016, 08:36 AM
Service First
I'm about the same place.

Waiting until I get my winch and radio board set up and installed before I install the deck beams and deck. I did make the template, no clue what I'm doing for the deck yet. Can't decide between something quick and nice, it's a race boat not a shelf queen or I have a pile of teak and it would look really nice with a teak planked deck......
Dec 08, 2016, 11:00 AM
Modeler/ Historian
Actually I'm installing my rudder servo and winch mounting before I lay the sub deck. But, I want to cut and fit it ASAP so I don't have any fitting problems later (with all that gear in place ). If I had a bunch of teak on hand I would certainly use it. Just my opinion
Dec 08, 2016, 03:33 PM
W Kuhns
Stephen. Are you going to use the drum system that Hans has in his boats.? So simple but great!! Uses an arrow shaft connected to the drum winch and a block. When he needs to service it. I believe it's just a Couple screws and it comes out in one piece. I was going to do that with the big boat but by someone's graces. It ended up with an arm.
Dec 08, 2016, 03:34 PM
W Kuhns
John if you are doing a drum like hans. I have a nice carbon fiber arrow shaft if ya need one. Also have an older drum winch servo it's pretty fast and wicked powerful. Not real huge either.
Dec 08, 2016, 04:20 PM
Service First
I'm all set with arrow shafts, I'm sort of an archery instructor.

I think I'm ordering a Hitech like I have in the Star, I need to get transmitter batteries and a couple of other things, just been putting off placing the order. Guess it's time
Dec 08, 2016, 05:24 PM
W Kuhns
Jack of all trades and sports I see.
Dec 09, 2016, 11:23 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I plan to use a Hi Tec arm type sail servo The reason is speed and simplicity.
Dec 09, 2016, 07:27 PM
W Kuhns
Cool. I will say both points well taken especially simplicity. However if you ever get an RMG speed is WOW!!! Never had one till stars and steipes. Wholly cow. I really can't afford to buy them but the boat came with it. Amazing how powerful and fast they are. However I really really like arms winches as well
Dec 09, 2016, 09:53 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Rudder install

Rudder / stuffing tube installed tonight. Epoxy thickened with micro balloons holds the stuffing tube. Servos next!
Dec 10, 2016, 09:43 AM
W Kuhns
Nice job.