Canterbury J #590 "Shamrock V" - Page 2 - RC Groups
Dec 03, 2016, 09:43 AM
W Kuhns
Hey John did you get both of my texts? The message from Hans and the second from me? Or should I just not text you anymore? Thanks hope all is ok.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2016, 12:11 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I'm a bit jealous of y'all in New England (cept for the upcoming Hard Water problem LOL). What I mean is being so close, and being able to get together for a sail so easily. Everything in Texas is far away... Next town, other enthusiasts etc...
Dec 03, 2016, 12:26 PM
W Kuhns
Yeah ct almost anywhere in this state is an hour and a half max lol Texas is almost a 24 hour rife across correct? I'm jelous of the weather though. I do not function well from starting late Sept till late spring. Can't wait to move south.
Dec 03, 2016, 01:13 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Inspiration

A few more pics of my inspiration... John, are you modeling a specific J ?
Dec 03, 2016, 03:00 PM
Service First
Not doing anything scale, wanted to build one before I got sick, finally decided it was time. I'm more interested in sailing it then building it and it will fit aboard my boat better then an EC.
Dec 04, 2016, 12:35 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Shear planks

Shear planks installed with many many clips. Quarter inch pine strips spread the clamping force
Dec 04, 2016, 12:42 PM
W Kuhns
Awrsome!!!!
Dec 04, 2016, 01:19 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks Bill, I think if this one turns out half as nice as your Vanja, I will be happy...
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Dec 04, 2016 at 04:14 PM.
Dec 04, 2016, 01:26 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Be careful fitting the shear planks... The aft end requires a long taper (about 8 inches) Also, don't short yourself on clamps! The pine strip battens I used are essential to spread the clamping force and avoid ripples in the hull. Hans makes a beautiful hull, but it is a very light lay up (which is a good thing) so be sure to utilize some sort of batten.
Dec 04, 2016, 05:03 PM
W Kuhns
That was an awfully nice compliment Stephen. Thanks. However I'm sure yours will come out better. Can't wait to see more and the progression as you move along.
Dec 04, 2016, 10:56 PM
Just remembered that I had this deck plan of Shamrock V
Dec 05, 2016, 12:14 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks. That deck plan will be handy.
Dec 05, 2016, 12:20 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Deck Beams

Deck beams and King plank installed. Next will be the rudder post. Dry fitting all of the beams was essential. Make sure each is square prior to glueing. Using 30 minute epoxy allowed me a bit of adjustment time. All the beams were then taped and clamped securely for the epoxy to cure overnight
Dec 05, 2016, 12:27 PM
W Kuhns
Looks awesome. Did you treat the beams? Meaning seal them ? Or are they prefer sealed? I never asked Hans.
Dec 05, 2016, 12:40 PM
Looking good.

Ed