Canterbury J #590 "Shamrock V" - Page 13 - RC Groups
Mar 13, 2017, 07:37 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Launch Day!

Couldn't wait for St Patricks day.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 13, 2017, 07:41 PM
Kevin Gault
Very cool!!! She looks GREAT...Congratulations!

Kevin
Mar 13, 2017, 08:15 PM
Congratulations she looks good on the water.

Ed
Mar 13, 2017, 10:29 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Thanks. She needs a bit of tuning, but she sailed very well on the initial set up. Winds were between 5-10 kts with gusts up to about 20 kts. She did especially well in light air. I sailed for about 45 minutes, mostly light air, but buried the lee rail a few times in the gusts. She shipped a thimble full of water. All in all I was very pleased.
Mar 14, 2017, 09:48 AM
Modeler/ Historian
A couple more...
Mar 17, 2017, 01:11 AM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Stephen, The on the H20 pic's are the "Pudding",! Thanks for sharing the build. Learned a lot that can be re-applied on my stuff,! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Mar 17, 2017, 10:21 AM
Modeler/ Historian
I think the most important feature of this build has been ensuring ease of breakdown / set up , for portability. I choose the Canterbury J for its beautiful lines and most important, that she will fit the trunk of my Miata. I drive to DFW and Austin often and I wanted an impressive boat I could take with me. Maybe I'll get a few In those areas interested in CJs. I saw in the latest AMYA magazine that mine is the only CJ in region 5.
Apr 02, 2017, 04:49 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Devils in the Details!

Just a few additions. Cayman Islands flag ( Gettysburg flag works), and gold lettering (Woodland Scenics). A few more tidbits on the way from RB ; cowl vents and winches. All are removable to strip down for race trim.
Apr 02, 2017, 05:03 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Race trim hatch

I've discovered that my race trim hatch also makes a great display plaque
Apr 02, 2017, 09:31 PM
Po' boys does w/ Po'boys ways
Nice detail touches,!! LUV them,! Tim aka Cap'n Hax
Apr 02, 2017, 10:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vick
I've discovered that my race trim hatch also makes a great display plaque
Very impressive!
Apr 10, 2017, 04:35 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Stick time

Getting some precious stick time this Sunday last. Next practice will be in Race Trim.
Apr 10, 2017, 05:59 PM

Sail Trim

#90 will garner enhanced performance if the directions in the Sail Handling and Tuning Guide that accompanied the sails are applied. In the very light air shown in the photos, additional camber in the feet of both sails will increase power, then appropriate twist needs to be added to both sails to take advantage of the change in direction of the relative wind with altitude above the water. With these sails (called HT for high twist,) there needs to be a substantial amount of twist to power up the sails. Setting the mainsail twist per the Guide, and then matching the jib twist to it will allow the sails to breath better, especially if a little fiddling with the "slot" between the leech of the jib and the luff of the mainsail is accomplished to match that adjustment to the wind speed.

The above comments have general relevance to model yacht sails from any sailmaker, but are especially important for HT sails I produce.

Rod Carr
Apr 10, 2017, 07:11 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Roger that. Thanks Rod, I will start adjustment ASAP. Its great to get tips from the master.
Apr 11, 2017, 12:21 AM
Kevin Gault
Stephen,

Ed Crowell and I have done quite a bit of side by side "tuning" and I think we've come to the realization that a bit more twist is beneficial on the C-J, especially in light air. (as Mr Carr mentions above). Ed's sails are Carr, mine are Sirius, but they both seem to behave similarly. On my boat one turn of the vang adjustment makes a pretty substantial change in how the main twist looks, so it's important to "adjust sparingly".

From the angle of your pics, it's a bit tough for me to "see" how your twist looks, but attached are a few pics of both my boat and Ed's (from an aft and to leeward) angle that shows pretty well my twist "tune" for lighter winds. Hope it helps!

Kevin
C-J #551