Canterbury J #590 "Shamrock V" - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 01, 2016, 01:22 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Build Log

Canterbury J #590 "Shamrock V"

I just received my Canterbury J kit from Hans Berger ( Berger Boats). The hull is a top notch GRP layup. I also ordered the deck beams (lazer cut) set , keel casting and boat stand.
I plan to model my CJ after the first UK J class built , Sir Thomas Lipton's "Shamrock V".. To that end, I will include scale details such as a planked deck , deck houses, and mahagony bright work etc... Yet keeping the model race legal and efficient as possible.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2016, 01:28 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Boat stand

First step: boat stand assembly.
I opted for the pre cut boat stand from Berger Boats, which was well worth the price. Veteran builders know , a good stand is essential for a good build. The stand is well engineered, assembles easily and includes provision for a lifting handle. I finished mine in a Cherry stain.
Dec 01, 2016, 03:34 PM
W Kuhns
Are you going to do the deck with a jig and laminated pieces with black paper in between then band saw it in half to make the full deck like Hans does? Next boat I do I'm doing like that. I think. Except I don't have a thickness planer. Just curious. Thanks. Bill
Dec 01, 2016, 04:15 PM
Service First
For more then one deck I would consider building a jig, for just one deck I would just plank it.
Going through my teak right now for my deck
Dec 01, 2016, 06:16 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I will plank the deck directly on a 1/32 inch sub deck. The plan is to use 1/8 inch x 1/16 inch basswood strips with black paper in between. I will also be attempting the fiddly bits along the king plank, wish me luck..... Round the deck edge will be a mahogany toe rail as well. The deck will be kept in a matt finish and the mahogany shined up as much as possible. These are actual pics of Shamrock V, which I think illustrate it well...
Dec 01, 2016, 07:14 PM
The wind is free, go sailing!
I think you need to replicate the violin player on the foredeck
Dec 01, 2016, 08:29 PM
Kevin Gault
I like Hans' new stand. Any idea what he charges for one?

Kevin
C-J #551
Dec 01, 2016, 10:45 PM
Modeler/ Historian
Here's the latest on the stand. It really is an incredibly good fit, and even comes with carpet strips ready to glue on the edges. Well worth the price I think.
Dec 02, 2016, 01:36 AM
Kevin Gault
Thanks Stephen....me likey...

Kevin
Dec 02, 2016, 08:50 AM
W Kuhns
When I sailed with Hans a few weeks back I got quite an education on that stand his boats were in then. One of the best things was. When the boat was up right and a strong wind blew it would blow it over onto this angled sides and it would come to rest there. Not to mention it carry them well to down to the water. He convinced me to make some for my boats due to that fact alone as well as weight. Mine blow over and go completely over. Hans is one of the most intelligent guys I have met in person in this sport other than Sailing Junkie. That stand is well worth it.
Last edited by BillKuhn; Dec 02, 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Dec 02, 2016, 10:41 AM
The best thing about the stand is you can tilt the boat on its side then close haul the sails and stand back several feet to see how the main is set for twist and how the jib is in relation to the main. You can also use it to initially balance the jib. It's not just a pretty stand it is also a good tool.

Ed
Dec 02, 2016, 10:46 AM
Service First
I'm building my stand today, then gluing on the keel
Dec 02, 2016, 10:29 PM
Modeler/ Historian

Keel attachment.

Most reading this are well versed in how a CJ goes together, due to the excellent build logs which preceded mine. However, here it is. The lead keel attaches to the hull with two machine screws, in addition a generous bed of the epoxy of choice. ( in my case 30 min ) Also attach the trim weight at this time A layer of blue painters tape keeps the epoxy from oozing out. It will require a bit of automotive body filler once cured.
Dec 03, 2016, 07:41 AM
W Kuhns
Nice work SV.
Dec 03, 2016, 09:10 AM
Service First
I'm about the same place. Got the rudder fitted while fitting the keel, so once the keel is dry and faired I can install the post.