Dec 01, 2016, 08:36 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

what about DRL sim (drone racing league simulator)

Hi guys, i have been flying for long time but a few months ago the drone racing bug bite me after buying a lumenier 250. So last night after a quick google search i hit upon this sim and try it.
My first impressions are not bad (my real complain is the simulator is more "unforgivable" than real life, as flight controller is optional ) they make the quad feel like no FC is on and just a 4 channel mix

you can try it here:
http://thedroneracingleague.com/simulator/

My only question is how this compares with fpvfreerider??

thxs in advance
jose
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2016, 08:00 PM
I just downloaded the DRL simulator three days ago. In race mode it took me an hour and about 30 tries just to get through the Miami Lights map. It was driving me crazy!

The quad setup that works best for me is camera tilt 15, all the roll, pitch, yaw and expo sliders down with RC rate at 50 percent. With this setup the quad flies a lot like FPV Freeride in Acro mode.

My best time at Miami Lights is a 2:08 which, checking the Leaderboard, puts me at 730th.

The Leaderboard has a feature that allows you to ride along with other racers. The really fast guys are amazing.
Dec 10, 2016, 11:44 PM
Thread OP
honestly the sim looks good and i think the tracks are cool (resemble real tracks), but wow as you said i need everything down to make it feel like fpvfreeride.
In my opinion this sim is harder than real life
BTW yeah i honestly dont know who this people are to clock such amazing times.
I remember i felt so proud of my times on fpvrider until i watched a guy making the desert lap in 6 seconds
Dec 11, 2016, 01:56 PM
The DRL Simulator is impressive in many ways. I think it is not meant to be a game but a trainer and recruiting tool for the DRL racing league. That might explain why there is no "easy" mode.

To me the fpvfreeride Acro mode is easier to fly than the DRL sim. It seems like the DRL sim has a bit more controller input or video lag. A few milliseconds makes a big difference. Or, it might be just that the DRL sim quads weigh more.

The race mode in the DRL sim really gets my heart rate up. You really have to focus! But it's rewarding too. It slowly gets easier with practice and it's nice to see lap times go down.
Dec 18, 2016, 08:05 PM
The simulator download page shows a Taranis transmitter. Will it work with a DX6i ?
Dec 18, 2016, 09:41 PM
Thread OP
yes, just need to download picjoy or something like that, converts microphone (audio jack)signal into a signal drl understands
Jan 01, 2017, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatenever View Post
The simulator download page shows a Taranis transmitter. Will it work with a DX6i ?
Hi Chatnever,

Did you get your DX6i working?
If so, please post details so that I can join you.

Thanks and happy new year, rick p
Jan 01, 2017, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickp View Post
Hi Chatnever,

Did you get your DX6i working?
If so, please post details so that I can join you.

Thanks and happy new year, rick p
Rick - Sorry, but no. The only picjoy I could find was a printing service (http://www.picjoy.com/). I wasn't sufficiently motivated to investigate further.

bob
Jan 01, 2017, 10:46 PM
Thread OP
try to check this two threads
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-interface-fix
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Futaba-T6EXHP
Jan 09, 2017, 03:23 PM
Just tried out the DRL sim's "loiter mode" and I got amazed how huge one map is.
Checking out DRL simulator (7 min 0 sec)
Jan 20, 2018, 11:16 PM

is the drl flight sim free

is it free
Jan 31, 2018, 01:40 AM
I have yet to fly a real quad, just been flying the DRL sim with my taranis and have managed to get in the top 200-300 on most tracks I've flown. From what I've read above, the DRL is harder than real life? That bodes well for my first time out on a real bird...
Feb 04, 2018, 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papo View Post
is it free
Meh, the Beta was, but is not free any more.

Quick Reply