Dec 07, 2019, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
You could use a Flight Stabiliser to run the brakes left to right......
Just use YAW only..... and the simplest way would be run only ONE Brake from that.
So your TX command goes to one brake, and the Stabiliser runs the other brake. It will 'steer'/correct Yaw via the results of the braking and by using the braking (the side that it controls).
You still get to use any amount of braking you want...... the stabiliser is just going to ensure left/right match off.

These braking 'steering issues' have been around forever.... and no one seems to work out the available solutions for some reason....
Have you ever tried this before or is it just off the top of your head?
to remove ads between posts
Dec 07, 2019, 08:38 AM
Just got back from flying mine, absolutely love it.
Last edited by Thisguy65; Dec 07, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
Dec 07, 2019, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputtmaru
Have you ever tried this before or is it just off the top of your head?
Iíve wondered about this working as well, Eric. I just donít think there is enough yaw motion caused by less than perfect brake action for the stabilizer to work/respond. Perhaps using heading hold could be tuned to the point of keeping up with a 5 degree or so variance from center.

I found out this morning that another club member has a new A10 with brakes. Hopefully, we can learn from each other.

John
Dec 07, 2019, 09:12 PM
I have had a cheap (HK $10) heading lock helicopter gyro on a nose wheel and it worked fine.
Many people have added them for steering to tame hard runway alignment.
So there is no reason it would not do the same, and BETTER, via main gear braking. Seeing they have more weight and steering ability than Nose wheel or a Rudder.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:20 AM
Lots of good info on the brakes guys! I finally got mine installed, now I need a rx once Horizon decides to finally get some in.

I had a couple questions for JP Hobbies about the brakes but they responded once to verify what my questions were and haven't responded back again, and that's been almost a week. so I will ask you guys.

1) On the front of the wheels is what appears to be a nozzle to add or remove air from the tires. I've read that this can be done, but how would you go about that? I got no tool with my wheels and brakes to do this with.

2) There was one paper thin washer in the package with my brakes. It was loose in the bag everything was in packed in. The hole is 6mm which is what the axles are on these 75mm wheels, so I'm lost as to where it should or should possibly go, and the fact that there was only one is concerning. What are these for? My wheels seem to spin well with no binding without this added.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2kx
Iíve wondered about this working as well, Eric. I just donít think there is enough yaw motion caused by less than perfect brake action for the stabilizer to work/respond. Perhaps using heading hold could be tuned to the point of keeping up with a 5 degree or so variance from center.

I found out this morning that another club member has a new A10 with brakes. Hopefully, we can learn from each other.

John
It is interesting none the less although I have never seen from past jet meeting someone using it before but then again I did not asked specifically.
Dec 08, 2019, 08:59 AM
The washer, when installed, provides clearance necessary to prevent brake hub from making contact with brake disk. See attached pic. At this point in photo, washer should slide on axle prior to installing hub. Hope that makes sense.

My 65mm setup uses solid tires and not fitted with an air fill nozzle. I suggest placing the fully assembled model (with batteries) on a hard surface to ensure tires stay pretty much perfectly round. There have been several methods of applying air over the years. Most use a one way ball check arrangement at air nozzle/valve. Not so hard to add air, more difficult to let some out if you over-pressurize. Hopefully JP put the correct amount of air in as part of their QA process.

John
Dec 08, 2019, 01:30 PM

Brake controller with gyro built in

Have not seen this jewel before but seems to operate as Peter described:

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=7910
Dec 08, 2019, 03:40 PM
Rc heli, how did you manage using the supplied 6mm axle from JP when the factory struts are drilled for 5mm?
Dec 08, 2019, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Have not seen this jewel before but seems to operate as Peter described:

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=7910
Good find John will have to look more into this. Intriguing stuff.

Not sure who did the translation of the info but it is a bit obscur in some aspect
Dec 08, 2019, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puttputtmaru
Good find John will have to look more into this. Intriguing stuff.

Not sure who did the translation of the info but it is a bit obscur in some aspect
I guess Iíve become accustomed to it after so many years. Kind of like the Ebonics spoken here in my part of the USA. I understand it....just hope it does not become part of my own dialect. Still better than what comes out of Germany😲😲, where if you have to ask, perhaps you are too ignorant to own such a product.
Dec 08, 2019, 07:00 PM
Quote:
The washer, when installed, provides clearance necessary to prevent brake hub from making contact with brake disk. See attached pic. At this point in photo, washer should slide on axle prior to installing hub. Hope that makes sense.

My 65mm setup uses solid tires and not fitted with an air fill nozzle. I suggest placing the fully assembled model (with batteries) on a hard surface to ensure tires stay pretty much perfectly round. There have been several methods of applying air over the years. Most use a one way ball check arrangement at air nozzle/valve. Not so hard to add air, more difficult to let some out if you over-pressurize. Hopefully JP put the correct amount of air in as part of their QA process.

John
The 75mm unit is built a little differently - the brake hub with the wires is not recessed in the middle on the inside surface, but I see what you are describing. On mine the aluminum spacer that goes against the inner bearing is wide enough to keep the brake disc from rubbing against the hub when things are tightened down. Both wheels spin freely without the small shim being on there, so maybe it was just there in case it was needed. In any event I only had one, which seems odd to me. I assume when the brakes are activated it pulls the brake disc against the hub, and that combined with the magnetic force is what stops the wheels, or is it just the magnetic force? If it's just the magnetic force should you put a little grease on the brake disc to keep it from rubbing too much on the hub?
Dec 08, 2019, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Rc heli, how did you manage using the supplied 6mm axle from JP when the factory struts are drilled for 5mm?
I used a 6mm drill bit to drill out the strut to fit. Seems ok, doesn't appear that it weakened the strut.
Dec 08, 2019, 09:00 PM
Yes, that Assan looks like a 'premium' design level of device!! Doing the Steering AND the Brake controls too!
And all ready to fit and use......
I would think the Turbine guys would be using these kinds of things already anyway. Seeing they ALL have brakes and this would have been a problem going back 10years plus!!! Or some high level, costly, turbine jet gear could even come with such a device.
Dec 09, 2019, 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Yes, that Assan looks like a 'premium' design level of device!! Doing the Steering AND the Brake controls too!
And all ready to fit and use......
I would think the Turbine guys would be using these kinds of things already anyway. Seeing they ALL have brakes and this would have been a problem going back 10years plus!!! Or some high level, costly, turbine jet gear could even come with such a device.
Not as much of a problem with air brakes but has I have mentioned, although I fly turbine jets, my experience is limited to the few Canadian jet flyers I have seen, I have not attended many of the bigger US event and was not looking specifically for it.

Quick Reply