Aug 19, 2019, 10:28 AM
All aboard Flight 666
Although you’ll never catch me putting 90’s in my A-10

Maybe someone can look past what ‘theyd’ do And help answer your question.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2019, 12:03 PM
If I were to put 90s in mine, Iíd install two of the FMS 1900 kV 90mm fans and a pair of 130 amp ESCs. That said, the stock motors make it faster and give it better vertical with the ordinance on the wing than my 90mm F-16 is clean with an upgraded fan. And I set the timer for another 45 seconds (4:45) over the F-16.
Aug 19, 2019, 01:19 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizjets
Iím not sure what a capacitor is, would you mind explaining?
A day without Wikipedia is a day lost In this case we're talking about electrolytic capacitors. Contrary to other capacitors these have polarity. Therefore don't reverse elco plus and minus, ever!

Electrolytic capacitor (wikipedia)

Explanations using a 'watery' analogy
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/watcir.html#c1
hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/capchg.html#c1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P
Capacitors (caps in geek slang) are kinda (sorta not really but can pass for) reservoirs in a hydraulic system. This is generally speaking. Long wire runs need caps as necessary to not spike the ESC's. They absorb "voltage spikes" that develop due to wire impedance in long wire runs. They look like little barrels soldered onto the end of the wires near the ESC's located in the nacelles. All ESC's have caps as well so the FET's are not fried by variable voltage... but they are designed for 10" wire runs not 30" ones. It's essential to use them in long 2 wire, DC wiring (not an issue in 3 phase wiring AC such as motor to ESC). Freewing designed the A-10 wiring system properly by using the capacitors as they have.
Water hammer is the hydraulic analogy/equivalent of voltage spikes higher than battery voltage. The spikes occur with frequency of user selected ESC PWM frequency: 8, 16 or 32kHz.
Water_hammer (wikipedia).

To/in an ESC you get voltage spikes instead of pressure spikes
What is Water Hammer? (7 min 40 sec)
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Aug 20, 2019 at 07:30 PM.
Aug 19, 2019, 02:31 PM
See I’m just trying to stimulate all the nerd talk!
Aug 19, 2019, 03:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizjets
See I’m just trying to stimulate all the nerd talk!
I did my best to water down all the techno-geek-speak.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Aug 20, 2019 at 07:26 PM.
Aug 21, 2019, 09:14 AM
Foam abuser!
Long live the Warthog!

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/y...il-late-2030s/

From the article:

"The upgraded wings should last for up to 10,000 flight hours without requiring a depot inspection, AFMC said. And they have an improved, newly designed wire harness to make the wings easier to remove, and lessen the chance of damaging the wing during the removal process."

Sounds like they took a page from Freewing!

Pat
Last edited by crxmanpat; Aug 21, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
Aug 21, 2019, 09:32 AM
You copied, or pasted (Quick Reply and non-WYSIWIG editors), only the text Pat, but not the actual link:
www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/08/13/a-10-re-winging-completed-will-keep-warthog-in-the-air-until-late-2030s.

Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Aug 21, 2019 at 10:10 AM.
Aug 21, 2019, 09:37 AM
Foam abuser!
Thanks Ron. It's because I posted it on Hobby Squawk first, then copied that post and pasted here, so the entire link did not come through. I fixed it.

Pat
Aug 21, 2019, 09:41 AM
Yeah! Long live the Warthog!
Aug 21, 2019, 07:28 PM
My buddy got a decent video of a recent flight. Beware itís not quite hat cam dot in the sky but itís not super zoomed either.

Landing excuses: 1)the wind was swirling and i thought it shifted but it didnít and i landed with a tailwind 2) first flight with 5000s (normally fly 6200s) and i wasnít comfortable going around as i thought i was really low

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...812122&o=OneUp
Aug 21, 2019, 07:34 PM
Well that seemed to be a great video, in all ways!
A lot of 'flying content'. eg manouevers.

What a tough place to fly!! Land.....
Very scenic though.... just surrounded by potential 'issues' waiting to grab a plane one day!! LOL
But it did not seem to bother you at all !!!
And the landing still seemed to be very good anyway!
And.... the video work and quality was fine too.
Aug 21, 2019, 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Well that seemed to be a great video, in all ways!
A lot of 'flying content'. eg manouevers.

What a tough place to fly!! Land.....
Very scenic though.... just surrounded by potential 'issues' waiting to grab a plane one day!! LOL
But it did not seem to bother you at all !!!
And the landing still seemed to be very good anyway!
And.... the video work and quality was fine too.
Thanks Peter!

Itís very beautiful and serene out there. One of the reasons i really like it.

The tree line to the left actually isnít as close as it seems but it really does make you alter your flying style. Iíve gotten used to it!
Aug 22, 2019, 01:37 PM
Hey Biz, nice flying. I thought yoy flew for the theater very well personally, it was clear you enjoyed it and you showed everything it can do and did it well.
Any one who has one of these will give you kudos for that landing, the conditions you describe perhaps caused you to be a little fast and long, yet you managed to lose just enough energy and timed it with lifting the nose perfectly. Most would've bounced there.
It was only really that damn noisy gear that made it sound less than ideal, I fly off manicured grass and you have to almost hover stall to to not hear all that clunking.

Really enjoyed the vid, thanks for posting
Aug 22, 2019, 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonso
Hey Biz, nice flying. I thought yoy flew for the theater very well personally, it was clear you enjoyed it and you showed everything it can do and did it well.
Any one who has one of these will give you kudos for that landing, the conditions you describe perhaps caused you to be a little fast and long, yet you managed to lose just enough energy and timed it with lifting the nose perfectly. Most would've bounced there.
It was only really that damn noisy gear that made it sound less than ideal, I fly off manicured grass and you have to almost hover stall to to not hear all that clunking.

Really enjoyed the vid, thanks for posting
Thanks Alphonso! I appreciate the compliments! My brother in law was in town and we drove 45 minutes out to the field for a few flights so i tried to keep it interesting for him haha.

Sorry about that dang noise in the beginning! I would have edited it out but Iím not sure how to do it with the way the video is saved.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:59 PM
Need to Know the diameter of the front Gear just below the doors. Working on a brace for this model. Looking at someone eases design I believe that the slot for the gear could have a tighter tolerance.

Quick Reply