Aug 18, 2019, 01:54 PM
Foam abuser!
I too love my A-10 (maidened #3 yesterday). Some guys have upgraded to 90mm (not sure if they used the inrunner or outrunner motors), but I find it has way more than enough power and speed on the stock 80mm setup.

Pat
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
I too love my A-10 (maidened #3 yesterday). Some guys have upgraded to 90mm (not sure if they used the inrunner or outrunner motors), but I find it has way more than enough power and speed on the stock 80mm setup.

Pat
I agree it’s great stock. But i can’t leave well enough alone so I’ve been itching to upgrade it.

I’m just worried about the esc wire length. It would sure have to travel a long way and the ESC i would use isn’t that long.
Aug 18, 2019, 02:33 PM
Foam abuser!
The good thing about this one is Freewing added extra capacitors to the wiring, so wire length should not be an issue.

Pat
Aug 18, 2019, 02:39 PM
If going 90mm, better to keep it to a sub 100A setup and use stock ESC and fitted capacitors I would think.
Aug 18, 2019, 04:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
The good thing about this one is Freewing added extra capacitors to the wiring, so wire length should not be an issue.

Pat
I’m not sure what a capacitor is, would you mind explaining?
Aug 18, 2019, 05:18 PM
Official Boat Bum
Capacitors (caps in geek slang) are kinda (sorta not really but can pass for) reservoirs in a hydraulic system. This is generally speaking. Long wire runs need caps as necessary to not spike the ESC's. They absorb "voltage spikes" that develop due to wire impedance in long wire runs. They look like little barrels soldered onto the end of the wires near the ESC's located in the nacelles. All ESC's have caps as well so the FET's are not fried by variable voltage... but they are designed for 10" wire runs not 30" ones. It's essential to use them in long 2 wire, DC wiring (not an issue in 3 phase wiring AC such as motor to ESC). Freewing designed the A-10 wiring system properly by using the capacitors as they have.
Aug 18, 2019, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie P View Post
Capacitors (caps in geek slang) are kinda (sorta not really but can pass for) reservoirs in a hydraulic system. This is generally speaking. Long wire runs need caps as necessary to not spike the ESC's. They absorb "voltage spikes" that develop due to wire impedance in long wire runs. They look like little barrels soldered onto the end of the wires near the ESC's located in the nacelles. All ESC's have caps as well so the FET's are not fried by variable voltage... but they are designed for 10" wire runs not 30" ones. It's essential to use them in long 2 wire, DC wiring (not an issue in 3 phase wiring AC such as motor to ESC). Freewing designed the A-10 wiring system properly by using the capacitors as they have.
Awesome thanks Eddie
Aug 18, 2019, 06:31 PM
Gee, I think you would be better off spending the money on other RC things!! LOL
The A-10 is overpowered as it is and the stock EDFs sound good and 'right'. There is just no need for 90mm EDFs in it. Not any valid reason at least.
And to do it COSTS a LOT. You could pretty much buy some other entire Freewing PNF plane for that! eg Mig-21 etc
Aug 18, 2019, 11:20 PM
Quote:
That's a accumulator

I was surprised to see the caps when I had to reverse the EDF motor, as one of mine came wired wrong.
Aug 19, 2019, 12:10 AM
Official Boat Bum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisguy65 View Post
That's a accumulator

I was surprised to see the caps when I had to reverse the EDF motor, as one of mine came wired wrong.
You are right in some ways. A reservoir in a high pressure aircraft hydraulic system OTOH (what I was thinking about) will absorb pressure bumps when high volume consumers come on line and go off, so that the pressure bumps don't break lines or damage equipment. An accumulator can do similarly on the inlet side but also has the capability to actually power something for a full cycle or three. A capacitor of this type in RC usage has no real accumulator ability aside from a spark or a strobe flash or two but it works well to dampen out the electric "bumps". I guess we could say it's similar to both, but I'll agree if I had to pick one, it's probably more like an accumulator
Aug 19, 2019, 12:19 AM
Quote:
You are right in some ways. A reservoir in a high pressure aircraft hydraulic system OTOH (what I was thinking about) will absorb pressure bumps when high volume consumers come on line and go off, so that the pressure bumps don't break lines or damage equipment. An accumulator can do similarly on the inlet side but also has the capability to actually power something for a full cycle or three. A capacitor of this type in RC usage has no real accumulator ability aside from a spark or a strobe flash or two but it works well to dampen out the electric "bumps". I guess we could say it's similar to both, but I'll agree if I had to pick one, it's probably more like an accumulator
Agree my friend. In my line of work...well old line of work, kinda odd saying that as my last day was this past Friday, the those terms got intertwine. We've used accumulators as "shocks" for a load sense tied to the lift cylinders (Heavy equipment, CAT). Used relief valves to combine the two functions you outlines with absorption vs make up when pressure drops.
Aug 19, 2019, 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Gee, I think you would be better off spending the money on other RC things!! LOL
The A-10 is overpowered as it is and the stock EDFs sound good and 'right'. There is just no need for 90mm EDFs in it. Not any valid reason at least.
And to do it COSTS a LOT. You could pretty much buy some other entire Freewing PNF plane for that! eg Mig-21 etc
Yea but what fun is it to leave something alone?!?!
Aug 19, 2019, 08:06 AM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizjets View Post
Yea but what fun is it to leave something alone?!?!
While I would normally agree with you about this, I'll leave mine as is. The stock set up is perfect, IMO.

Mike
Aug 19, 2019, 09:23 AM
Most foam models NEED things done.... often quite a lot. if you want a truly fit for purpose, and reliable, operating model!
But the A-10, and also the L-39 at least, are two that were actually made 'near perfect' just as they came from Freewing! So money can be saved and used for other things..... hehe (or rather, spend the money on the upgrade MAIN gear and then the A-10 will be perfect... err, soften the nose spring too - do NOT buy the upgrade nose gear....).
Aug 19, 2019, 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Most foam models NEED things done.... often quite a lot. if you want a truly fit for purpose, and reliable, operating model!
But the A-10, and also the L-39 at least, are two that were actually made 'near perfect' just as they came from Freewing! So money can be saved and used for other things..... hehe (or rather, spend the money on the upgrade MAIN gear and then the A-10 will be perfect... err, soften the nose spring too - do NOT buy the upgrade nose gear....).
Money is for spending not saving! Lol i agree the a-10 is awesome as is. I just figured i could make it even better.

I bought the upgraded main and nose gear. Never had a problem with bouncing.

Quick Reply