Dec 01, 2016, 01:29 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Don
A set of 90mm fans making the same static thrust as a set of 80mm fans will have less efflux so will reduce top speed but keep low end thrust. Perhaps have the 80mm as the upgrade for speed and the 90s as the stock setup. Just a thought.

Don
Continuing on this thought, I just did some rough calculations, I get an efflux of about 75% for equal thrust on a 90 compared to a 80 with a 38mm diametet motor. So making another rough caluation, 75% of 110mph is 82 mph.

Don
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2016, 04:20 PM
Higher & higher...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC
We are flying what we assume will be the final prototype next week. Currently we are working to perfect the power system. The A-10 a bit too fast at the moment. The Stock system we envisioned has it going 110mph in a straight line which is really too fast for an A-10. We all like more than scale speed but this is a little crazy. lol. We're working on the perfect compromise between battery life, speed, and thrust in the stock power system. We have a few other items to finalize as well. The issue which is going to trip us up is Chinese new year. The Freewing factory closes for a month starting in early Jan so they will likely not start production until they are back early Feb. Assuming the normal 1 month production schedule, this means the best case for arrival at Motion RC is mid april 2017.
Cool. Mid April gives me time to save and prepare.
Dec 01, 2016, 04:23 PM
Foam abuser!
Mid April gives me time to thin out the current fleet. Either by crashing or selling some of what I have now.

Pat
Dec 01, 2016, 04:33 PM
I wonder how many guys will opt for ARF & go for a 90mm option...As a friend recently quoted.. No replacement for displacement.. ...A stock Stinger 90mm fan with 1450kv motor puts out [email protected] .... Would run this A-10 efficiently ....Food for thought??????
Dec 01, 2016, 04:37 PM
You said that the plane will do 110mph but you didnt say if that was bare bones or fully loaded. A lot of guys say that they cant fly their current planes fully loaded and as some have said the extra "power" would be best left as it is.. We dont want the "power" to be downgraded only to find a "power option" for an "extra"$150..just to make money.(without going to 90mm)
Dec 01, 2016, 04:37 PM
retired ATC
Mid April gives me time to thin out the current fleet. Either by crashing or selling some of what I have now.

same here but afraid this one is too big for me as I have very limited storage looks like ill be checking out the 70mm first...and now I am not worried about what happens with the 64mm freewing a10 I just finished building

I don't know about you guys but ive been trying to get away from gray planes...too hard to see on a overcast winter days flight...but I cant stop ordering them I have the sickness bad
Dec 01, 2016, 04:40 PM
Just fly it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT
Thanks Tom. I appreciate it. If the power system you have in the jet now that's having it go that fast, we can always throttle back for more flight time, LOL. I'm in the minority's though most likely, as I would rather have a bit more power available and fly more scale just by throttling back. That way don't feel the need to upgrade my power systems out of the box, and I have the extra power available if and when needed. If the power system in their now will provide the same price point as the other lower current version, then it's an easy answer for me if it won't save any dough. This plane is huge, so even high speeds seem a bit slower than it actually going. I'd be psyched out of my mind if my large A-10 would go 110mph out of the box. What was the 80mm power system specs that this was being tested with for that performance?
I'm thinking that extra power of just the 80mm may come in handy if we hang a mess of droppable stores under it..
Dec 01, 2016, 04:43 PM
Higher & higher...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat

Pat
Just don't let go of that sweet Mig Pat.
Dec 01, 2016, 04:45 PM
Foam abuser!
I'm thinking the 80mm option will be good, especially like was said if we stick a bunch of stores under the wings. I like scale flight, and flying at 50% throttle will extend flight time.

Pat
Dec 01, 2016, 04:47 PM
Foam abuser!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCjetdude
Just don't let go of that sweet Mig Pat.
If I do sell anything, it would be the Mirage and/or Me-262. I've never really been a fan of French aviation, but I got a NIB for less than retail, so I couldn't pass it up. Even though it's my fastest EDF, it's near the bottom of my favorites list.

The Mig will be with me for as long as it is airworthy.

Pat
Dec 01, 2016, 04:48 PM
Higher & higher...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1950

same here but afraid this one is too big for me as I have very limited storage looks like ill be checking out the 70mm first...and now I am not worried about what happens with the 64mm freewing a10 I just finished building

I don't know about you guys but ive been trying to get away from gray planes...too hard to see on a overcast winter days flight...but I cant stop ordering them I have the sickness bad
A large number of military birds are grey unfortunately. As long as they are military they are fine with me even if they are grey.
Dec 01, 2016, 04:50 PM
Higher & higher...
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat
If I do sell anything, it would be the Mirage and/or Me-262. I've never really been a fan of French aviation, but I got a NIB for less than retail, so I couldn't pass it up. Even though it's my fastest EDF, it's near the bottom of my favorites list.

The Mig will be with me for as long as it is airworthy.

Pat
Good to hear. Same goes for mine and I hope it remains airworthy for a long time. It is still just as solid as the day I got it.
Dec 01, 2016, 04:58 PM
Higher & higher...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC
We are flying what we assume will be the final prototype next week. Currently we are working to perfect the power system. The A-10 a bit too fast at the moment. The Stock system we envisioned has it going 110mph in a straight line which is really too fast for an A-10. We all like more than scale speed but this is a little crazy. lol. We're working on the perfect compromise between battery life, speed, and thrust in the stock power system.
Just a suggestion, test the current motor configuration with a full load of stores under it as they tend to slow a plane down quite a bit and will most likely be what a majority of people want to go with on this plane before dropping the motor size much. That is if you haven't already done so...
Dec 01, 2016, 04:59 PM
Origami plane maker
Good shot of the underside of this one on Hobbysquawk of the test version...lookin fantastic!
He did say it will be manufactured in grey scheme.
Dec 01, 2016, 05:05 PM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeg
I'm thinking that extra power of just the 80mm may come in handy if we hang a mess of droppable stores under it..
Exactly one of the reasons why I don't think they should change the power system from their testing. Plus, this jet is said to already fit large batteries, so people can always use more capacity if needed to justify the flight time of higher current setup used in their pre-production plane. Let people use throttle management if they want more flight time as well, but don't downgrade the power system. Ha-ha

Quick Reply