Dec 01, 2016, 11:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N65603
. Seems like these EDF's are battery killers!
Not true. I have been regularly running my Pulse 45c and Admiral 60c packs down to 15% and they are holding up fine. Everyone likes their own thing, but I don't see it necessary to shell out for those overpriced TP packs. Considering that this A-10 will fly pretty quick at reduced throttle, it will be much easier on batteries.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2016, 11:24 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Quote:
Agree with swps about gear, that would be awesome but difficult to build in without becoming porky. I'm a turbine flyer and we own 5 between my son and I. The thing that turns me off about all these beautiful EDF jets is the short flight time and battery packs in general. We bought some high C rated, at the time, Turnigy's and they puffed after a few flights despite our VERY careful management never taking below 80% and storing in a storage level. We were flying the E Flite Hawk and the Hobby Lobby F-18. I'm sure technology has greatly improved via the Heli guys but I don't think I'd ever try it again without one of the super Hi C rated TP packs. Seems like these EDF's are battery killers!
I'm getting 5 minutes on my 90mm F/A-18E, 4:30 minutes on my twin 80mm F-14, and 6 minutes on my 90mm deHavilland Venom. Not turbine-like flight times, but plenty for me. Battery technology has certainly grown by leaps/bounds in the past few years.
Dec 01, 2016, 11:32 AM
Jets & Lasagna...champion diet
Yep, N65603, technology has come in nice strides since then. Additionally, the LiPo's you mentioned aren't exactly ones notorious for being at the top of the game. Thunder Power is often associated with being incredible simply because their price is extravagant. I wish their performance matched their price, but it's not even close. They are so underwhelming that I won't even purchase them any longer to be honest.

With proper choice in LiPo'a, proper capacity to get the flight time and performance you want, and a fine balance of power system choice to match the batteries feeding it, you're in for a very fun time.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:19 PM
The ONLY way we buy TP's are their super sales at 40% off which happens a few times a year. My son likes the Pulse brand. If we ever go back to battery EDF's, I'll ask around what's the latest, greatest bang for the buck
Dec 01, 2016, 12:21 PM
That's definitely the only way to go if your buying TP . I think they just had a 50% off deal on some of their line.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:25 PM
Hey Guys, Watch This.......
I tried TP's and wasn't impressed.

Mike
Dec 01, 2016, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2663
I tried TP's and wasn't impressed.

Mike
Same here. I bought a 6S 70C 4400, and found that the Admiral Pro 4000s gave the exact same performance at a lighter weight.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swps
It looks like they are giving everyone their wish on this Hog. I wonder what price it will cost for all these bells and whistles. Not to mention the cost of the 90mm upgrade pods. Look at it like this, Motion wants $129 just for one stock fan with motor and another $94 for the ESC now take that times 2 plus the cost of the nacelles and you talking a $500 upgrade. With the size of this thing and the extra cost to ship, I would not be surprised if this doesn't come in at $800 for the 80mm PNP. It's awesome for sure, but may come at a price. I certainly hope that is not the case and they price it like the F-14 $579 and make the 90mm a reasonable price.
LOL - It will not be anywhere near $800. not even close. please don't worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloud9000
holy schmoly! 1700mm!
Same question - how easy is it to take off the wings?
Super easy. 2 screws and 1 cable connection. 1 minute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT
Motion,
Do we have any month/season ranges on ETA?
We are flying what we assume will be the final prototype next week. Currently we are working to perfect the power system. The A-10 a bit too fast at the moment. The Stock system we envisioned has it going 110mph in a straight line which is really too fast for an A-10. We all like more than scale speed but this is a little crazy. lol. We're working on the perfect compromise between battery life, speed, and thrust in the stock power system. We have a few other items to finalize as well. The issue which is going to trip us up is Chinese new year. The Freewing factory closes for a month starting in early Jan so they will likely not start production until they are back early Feb. Assuming the normal 1 month production schedule, this means the best case for arrival at Motion RC is mid april 2017.

Quote:
Agree with swps about gear, that would be awesome but difficult to build in without becoming porky. I'm a turbine flyer and we own 5 between my son and I. The thing that turns me off about all these beautiful EDF jets is the short flight time and battery packs in general. We bought some high C rated, at the time, Turnigy's and they puffed after a few flights despite our VERY careful management never taking below 80% and storing in a storage level. We were flying the E Flite Hawk and the Hobby Lobby F-18. I'm sure technology has greatly improved via the Heli guys but I don't think I'd ever try it again without one of the super Hi C rated TP packs. Seems like these EDF's are battery killers!
You just need a good quality pack and you can get them at very reasonable prices. Our Admiral 5000 50C packs are more than enough for these jets.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:49 PM
If this thing is already fast, what is the 90mm option going to do for it? Please don't tell me guys will be able to hover it with the 90's, because if I see that I think I'll puke.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:53 PM
Indoor Free Flight Modeler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.MotionRC
We are flying what we assume will be the final prototype next week. Currently we are working to perfect the power system. The A-10 a bit too fast at the moment. The Stock system we envisioned has it going 110mph in a straight line which is really too fast for an A-10. We all like more than scale speed but this is a little crazy. lol. We're working on the perfect compromise between battery life, speed, and thrust in the stock power system. We have a few other items to finalize as well. The issue which is going to trip us up is Chinese new year. The Freewing factory closes for a month starting in early Jan so they will likely not start production until they are back early Feb. Assuming the normal 1 month production schedule, this means the best case for arrival at Motion RC is mid april 2017.
I am normally one for speed but on the A-10 I would want low end thrust to be able to do low level maneuvers like I have seen in A-10 tactical demonstrations at the airshows so I glad to see you guys are thinking on the same lines as well. One of the few times when you want a high FSA in the outlets :-) A set of 90mm fans making the same static thrust as a set of 80mm fans will have less efflux so will reduce top speed but keep low end thrust. Perhaps have the 80mm as the upgrade for speed and the 90s as the stock setup. Just a thought.

Don
Dec 01, 2016, 12:55 PM
Failure is not an option
This is going to be great!!! Hope it has a reasonable price point.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:59 PM
So what are we thinking, Release date for this BEAST by MAY ? What power connections are being used on the prototype ? Hopefully EC5's What size ESC's are being used on the 80mm set-up vs. the 90mm upgrade ? Were the inboard AND outboard flaps incorporated into this airframe. I can see the inboard flaps from the photo's. What are you getting for an all up weight, as tested ?
Dec 01, 2016, 12:59 PM
Quote:

Super easy. 2 screws and 1 cable connection. 1 minute.

You just need a good quality pack and you can get them at very reasonable prices. Our Admiral 5000 50C packs are more than enough for these jets.
Thanks Tom. I appreciate it. If the power system you have in the jet now that's having it go that fast, we can always throttle back for more flight time, LOL. I'm in the minority's though most likely, as I would rather have a bit more power available and fly more scale just by throttling back. That way don't feel the need to upgrade my power systems out of the box, and I have the extra power available if and when needed. If the power system in their now will provide the same price point as the other lower current version, then it's an easy answer for me if it won't save any dough. This plane is huge, so even high speeds seem a bit slower than it actually going. I'd be psyched out of my mind if my large A-10 would go 110mph out of the box. What was the 80mm power system specs that this was being tested with for that performance?
Dec 01, 2016, 01:12 PM
Hey there MotionRC guys.
This talk about the Flightline A10 is very exciting. Since this is in the pre-production phase, now would be the perfect time to think about the foam finish. I love the value and scale fidelity of foam models, but unfortunately, even with the best of finishes, they still look like foam, the cells bleed through and gaps and crevices are prevalent. Please consider a factory pre-paint application of something like Beacon foam finish or Mod-Podge equivalent to seal the foam prior to paint application. I have redone several foamies this way and after paint and additional paint sealing, they look like composite! But it could easily be done at the factory and raise these birds to a whole new level!
What do you think???
Thanks, DSA
Dec 01, 2016, 01:21 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
Quote:
That is awesome to hear! I'll still need to tell the CFO where the funds went but at least it won't be as much!
Now where do I put it.....need to thin out my fleet a bit by April...dang Chinese New Year!

Quick Reply