Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II - RC Groups
Dec 01, 2016, 12:37 AM
EB-66C Team Member
New Product

Freewing Twin 80mm/90mm A-10 Thunderbolt II

From Alpha:

So about Project Regulus... People wanted big, so we went big! The Freewing 80mm A-10 is a ~1/10 scale model with a 1700mm wingspan. This correlates to roughly the same scale as our FlightLineRC 1600mm P-38 Lightning and F7F-3 Tigercat. Our growing family of Twins

As has already been mentioned, we designed the nacelles to house two ESCs in the airflow directly behind the EDFs for optimum cooling and to allow for wider weight range of battery options in the forward bay. Locating the ESCs here also allowed us to offer a nifty feature: The Freewing A-10 will be delivered as an 80mm PNP, with an optional upgrade setup for 90mm. The setup is essentially the nacelles with ESCs and 90mm EDFs pre-installed, and it screws onto the fuselage in minutes. Run the throttle wires and battery wires through the fuselage, screw down the six screws, synchronize the ESCs with your radio, and done! The aircraft can house a pair of 6s 4000 batteries, just like those recommended for the Freewing F-14D, and up to a pair 6s 6600s! So all of you stuffing 6s 5800s into your Tomcats won't have to worry with this big A-10.

There will be an optional weapon set, with out slide-on pylons and weapons, set up just like the Freewing 90mm F-16 for mixing and matching ordnance or removing all pylons and flying factory fresh.

Building on feedback from customers of our twin 80mm F-14, we specifically optimized this A-10 for grass operations. Big, wide, soft tires, and aluminum compression struts. A full lighting package, as well. More photos and details of those to come.
Freewing Twin 80mm A-10 Prototype - Flight Test (5 min 38 sec)
Last edited by xplaneguy; Dec 28, 2016 at 11:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 01, 2016, 12:58 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Impressive! Can't wait to see the gear design.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:59 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Posted on Hobby Squawk by Alpha:

To be honest, this portly plane has surprisingly carved out a place among some of the faster side of aircraft we've developed. Even for its size, it moves through the air quickly, which if you've ever seen a Warthog in action, is not how it really behaves, so to my eye it looks kind of strange. We're approaching Mach 2 if you scale it! I feel most comfortable flying at 40-50% throttle and ~80mph. I'll post more about power systems in the coming weeks. We're still testing a range of options to find the best balance between speed, thrust, weight, amp draw, and flight time.

Currently the A-10's flight time with F-14 packs is about 20% longer than the F-14, since you need less power to maintain speed. Landings with four big flaps are at ~20 mph airspeed. As expected for any A-10, the landing attitude is predictable and speeds and descent are well within controllable range. Where the A-10 shines above narrow gear aircraft like the F-16 is in the A-10's tall wheels and wide gear stance, making tipping over virtually impossible. I took off and landed on a washed out riverbed pocked with gravel and small stones without issue. It's no surprise that an aircraft like this is built for tough terrain. We've made several tweaks during drop tests and side force tests to ensure the gear are up to the task.

Stalls are mushy and straight down, no major wing drop. It can bank on a dime, just like the real thing. 60% throttle is needed to maintain four point hesitation rolls, and 70%+ is recommended to hold a knife edge down the runway. For slow speed maneuvering, a little rudder helps keep the nose level as you carve deep figure 8s across the field. In that sense it flies like the Stinger 90. Strange to envision, but, you'll just have to try it . At full speed you can induce a snap if you're not careful and cranked the controls full tilt at too steep an AoA, but at that point you're well past the "reasonable" threshold of flying a big scale jet like this. In the same way turbine pilots don't snap roll their Skymaster A-10s, don't try to do the same in this one.

We thought long and hard about incorporating decelerons into this aircraft, but opted instead to keep the cost lower. The test sample's deceleron geometry and mechanisms were too small at this scale to be reliable and sturdy enough for cost effective mass production. Decelerons need to be perfect for them to work right, otherwise they can quickly become a hazard if/as slop develops and/or control linkages fail.

Regarding the wing layout, that's really the last main thing to finalize. The final production wings will be removable with quick disconnect plugs, but the actual demarcation line is not fully set. With a model this size, it isn't just about convenience and transportability for the customer, but I also need to ensure all these pieces fit in the physical mold allowances. Every mm counts, otherwise we need additional molds to fit the pieces, and the prices go up. As always, we're keen to settle upon the best balance of all factors.
Last edited by xplaneguy; Dec 01, 2016 at 01:45 AM. Reason: More info from Alpha added
Dec 01, 2016, 01:02 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
Will part of the wings be easily removable for transport?
Dec 01, 2016, 01:26 AM
Experience not required
Take my money...... I'm all in. My wife is gonna kill me but wth. Add a gau sound module and it'll be a hit. I will have a big brother.
Last edited by Rcfiddy1; Dec 01, 2016 at 01:38 AM.
Dec 01, 2016, 01:33 AM
holy schmoly! 1700mm!
Same question - how easy is it to take off the wings?
Dec 01, 2016, 01:45 AM
EB-66C Team Member
More info from Alpha added to post 3.
Dec 01, 2016, 02:44 AM
TOPDOG
Oh hell, I don't need another jet but hell sign me up
Dec 01, 2016, 07:26 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Not quite as big as I was hoping for. I was hoping for at least a 2 meter wing with 80" preferred over that.
Still tuning in to see how it shapes up and decide whether it will put another dent in my wallet.
A lot will depend on how easily the wing (or outer panels) can be removed for transport & storage. The one photo looks a lot like there may be a panel break just outside the main gear nacelle. IMO that will be a good thing if it does so the main wing could remain attached to the fuselage and outer panels removed for transport & storage.
Latest blog entry: Freewing A-4E/F Skyhawk 80 mm
Dec 01, 2016, 08:11 AM
Origami plane maker
Im all over this one! from the sounds of it ,the 80 will be plenty enough power for it.
Dec 01, 2016, 08:14 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Twin 80mm A-10? Designed for grass ops?! Room for big honkin' batteries?!?! I think I'm either going to need an adult diaper or a box of tissues from all the crying, or perhaps both.

THANK YOU MotionRC and anyone else involved with this! I can't wait!
Dec 01, 2016, 08:21 AM
Foam abuser!
I'm sure I'll be in for this one too. Size looks good, comes stock 80mm, but able to upgrade to 90mm. Looking forward to more details on this.

Pat
Dec 01, 2016, 09:24 AM
Phone's ringing dude...
Prime candidate for some bomb release set ups! Maybe add an air system, some flour (simulated smoke) and a sound system for the gun!
Dec 01, 2016, 09:29 AM
Darn...I was drooling over the FMS hog, and this one pops up. Definetly gonna have to add this one to my hangar.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Dec 01, 2016, 09:42 AM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
It looks like they are giving everyone their wish on this Hog. I wonder what price it will cost for all these bells and whistles. Not to mention the cost of the 90mm upgrade pods. Look at it like this, Motion wants $129 just for one stock fan with motor and another $94 for the ESC now take that times 2 plus the cost of the nacelles and you talking a $500 upgrade. With the size of this thing and the extra cost to ship, I would not be surprised if this doesn't come in at $800 for the 80mm PNP. It's awesome for sure, but may come at a price. I certainly hope that is not the case and they price it like the F-14 $579 and make the 90mm a reasonable price.