Nov 30, 2016, 07:24 AM
Discussion

2.4 GHz repeater

Hi all, quick idea but I'm not making any progress with Mr. Google.

If I wanted to fly an FPV model in an area where there were multiple line of sight interruptions, a simple way would seem to be to put a repeater somewhere high.

For the FPV signal this is pretty easy - use a receiver, and put it back into a transmitter on a (very) different channel.

For the control signal, I was thinking it should be possible to use a receiver, connected via serial to a transmitter module, which would be bound to the "target" receiver.

Does anyone know if this is feasible? What hardware would you start with? For reference everything I have so far is FrSky based (Taranis and X4R receivers).
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2016, 07:46 AM
An XJT module has CPPM in so a PPM out receiver (XSR) will be a good match Add a 2S lipo to power both and you have a solution.

X4R can be put in CPPM mode also? Then you only need a XJT module.
Nov 30, 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadango
An XJT module has CPPM in so a PPM out receiver (XSR) will be a good match Add a 2S lipo to power both and you have a solution.

X4R can be put in CPPM mode also? Then you only need a XJT module.
That's great, sounds like it should be reasonably straightforward. Your solution is exactly what I was hoping for.

I've not worked with modules before (I used to have a fair amount of analogue kit in the 90s, just getting back into the hobby). How would I go about connecting the receiver into the module?
Nov 30, 2016, 09:08 AM
The XJT module needs 3 connections (search online for JR module pinout): Ground (Battery -), VCC (Battery +) and (C)PPM in (from the receiver). If you connect the same 2s lipo batteyr to the receiver and connect a wire from the (C)PPM output pin of the receiver to the (C)PPM in of the module you are done. Just bind the receiver of the plane / quad to your XJT module (can be done with the module in the Taranis in PPM mode first ) and bind a receiver with (C)PPM out to your Taranis and it should work.
Nov 30, 2016, 10:06 AM
Right, I know what's going on my Christmas list then...! Hopefully it will be as easy as you make it sound. I might be PMing you at some point. Thanks again!
Feb 18, 2018, 02:48 AM
Did You manege to deal with repeater? Was there some signal loses or any other problems?

Quick Reply