FrSky New Arrival – Redundancy Bus – 10 (RB-10) - RC Groups
Nov 29, 2016, 08:55 PM
FrSky-MKT
New Product

FrSky New Arrival – Redundancy Bus – 10 (RB-10)

Today FrSky bring a new product “Redundancy Bus – 10 (RB-10)” to you here.

Like the Redundancy Bus (RB), the Redundancy Bus –10 (RB-10) has an overload protection function by PPTC through a circuit inside on each servo output. If overload current happens, the affected servo output will be disconnected from the power supply while the remaining servo outputs are still powered. Unlike the RB, RB-10 has a compact size.

Name: 143348219581157584.jpg
Views: 170
Size: 552.0 KB
Description:

Overview:
• CH1-CH8 Connect to 8 servos (PWM)
• S.PORT connect to the S.Port of X series receiver and feedback integrated S.Port values (including voltage, overload indication, etc.)
• SBUS OUT SBUS output
• RX1 IN connect to the SBUS port of X series receiver and supply power directly to the connected receiver
• RX2 IN connect to the SBUS port of X series receiver and supply power directly to the connected receiver

Name: RBUS-10_ε‰―ζœ¬_ε‰―ζœ¬.jpg
Views: 122
Size: 215.9 KB
Description: Name: 851C.tmp.png
Views: 126
Size: 20.4 KB
Description:

Features:
• Overload protection on each channel and RXS
• Dual power dual receiver double guarantee (Connect up to 2 batteries and 2 receivers)
• 50Hz mode of servo outputs (20ms period) or equal to the input of SBUS cycle
• Integrated S.Port telemetry feedbacks (including voltage, overload indication, etc.)
• Servo signal output period settable
• High voltage servos supported
• Compact size and firmware upgradable

Name: RBUS-10 4_ε‰―ζœ¬_ε‰―ζœ¬.jpg
Views: 56
Size: 113.5 KB
Description: Name: RBUS-10 3_ε‰―ζœ¬.jpg
Views: 48
Size: 82.6 KB
Description:

Specifications:
• Recommended input voltage range: 4 – 8.4V
• Number of servos: up to 8
• Weight: 10g
• Dimension:63*27*10.5mm
• Operating temperature range: -20 ~ 75℃

FrSky RB-10 link: http://www.frsky-rc.com/product/pro.php?pro_id=172

FrSky hope you have found this useful and have a nice day guys!
Last edited by AndreaHuang; Nov 30, 2016 at 07:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2016, 07:23 AM
Froggy RC Pilot
So, there are only 2 differences between the RB and the RB-10?
16 servos outputs vs. 8 servo outputs on the the RB-10 and more compact size?
Despite those 2 differences, they got the same features, right?
Nov 30, 2016, 10:52 AM
Win=span\massXpractice+lu ck
No - the RB-10 does not have the power consumption sensor --
Nov 30, 2016, 11:27 AM
Froggy RC Pilot
Thanks webbsolution. I didn't notice this point. It is a shame... Specially for a dual power supply equipment.
Nov 30, 2016, 12:45 PM
Not a big deal - if you can fit the larger RB - then use that - I could not fit that into anything I own. So I offered to help create a solution that would / could be used as a platform for other disciplines.

you cant get smaller without losing some hardware - all you are losing is a running MAH consumption feature - you really know roughly where you are at based on voltage for most packs anyways.

The target of this product was to offer a redundant RX and power option that was smaller and would potentially support a dual band offering for smaller aircraft and gliders with really tight install spaces. You still see Voltage - just not consumption...AND there is nothing precluding you from using the daisy chain approach and adding that sensor.
Nov 30, 2016, 12:50 PM
Froggy RC Pilot
Voltage is definitely not the best measurement to get an accurate remaining power information. Specially with older LiPo pack. Anyway, depending of the price, this RB-100 looks interesting.
Nov 30, 2016, 01:21 PM
agreed - I just fly gliders so my 3000 mah pack will run all day with constant flying and all weekend long at a contest - so I know my reserve mah is almost always more than enough.

However, more to your point an electric model running less than fresh batteries might see a lot more variation.

I toss my packs into the "bench only" bin when they drop below 90% rated capacity.
Dec 01, 2016, 07:55 AM
Web where did you read the 10 has no consumption sensor? The instructions suggest that it can display mah used per batt channel.
Dec 01, 2016, 10:41 AM
From the engineer who I collaborated with on the project , he wrote the software and I did a lot of bench testing -- my tests were around signal stability, hot swapping speed and fall back security as well as local EMF in the 2.4 band/ 5Ghz band etc. I ran out of summer before I could get it into the air.

The manual is probably copied from the RB (error) -- its on my list to rewrite both manuals as they both contain some content I would like to see changed. For example the "power Supply" paragraph is really speaking to the need to do the math on your servo + RX+ sensor requirements bu the way it reads makes it look like if you dont have a 90A power supply - that servo protection will not work - thats actually not the case.
Dec 01, 2016, 12:31 PM
I see. Yes they need to change the manual !
Dec 01, 2016, 12:48 PM
it will happen -
Dec 01, 2016, 04:19 PM
Web, quick question. How does the bus choose which receiver to use?

In addition to that could you use the new XM+ receiver (non-telemetry) as the 2nd receiver. Would it work properly?
Dec 01, 2016, 05:08 PM
with the current RB firmware BOTH RX are active --

With the alternate firmware (not available yet) RX # is primary and RX #2 is secondary (fallback) it will switch at the first Frame loss and appears to swap pack when frames continue on RX #1

Yes you can use the Xmplus - I tested the XM (not the plus) with an X8R - and it was fine. Its an X series RX so - bind and go -
Dec 01, 2016, 09:30 PM
Can you explain what "both Rx are active" means and why would I want that over the alternate firmware?
Dec 01, 2016, 10:00 PM
With the standard Rb firmware you have two rx's sending sbus frames through the Rb. If one rx dies...the other is still there...engineers described that as similar to an active active and the Rb can "organize" the two sbus streams. This is perfect for using ONE module and 2 RX's.

But there is a huge opportunity to support multiple bands (ie 2.4+868 or 916 or 416mhz ) for control link and I wanted to ensure we could all capitalize on that...

However I ran into issues... When you start using two modules (example X8R and Crossfire on ppm into the ext module) at the same time you run into challenges with servo chatter and differences in servo scaling especially if one module is using ppm or another protocol or just offers a different total range. Any deviation in the center and or extreme throws for the servo create unacceptable chatter.

You could get creative and resolve this by some advanced servo remapping and matching but it's going to be a helishly long job for a 6 servo model. So...having experienced that issue I considered that what was needed from the second module was not specifically a simultaneous "always on" response but a fall back switch (quick) to a secondary that was ready to go. So even if there was a tiny change in center positions it could be dealt with more gracefully for example with a flight mode switch. So far the fall back ppm position makes a tiny change in trim on switch over but that is easy to resolve.

And I can see there are many ways to resolve any deviations in servo scale depending on your approach - this was the fastest way to get it done without a complex approach.

NOTE: Your second module MUST have telemetry disabled - there is a single shared telemetry circuit on the Horus and it shall not share its bandwidth...according to the OTX and FrSky team... so your fall back link does not support telemetry but really - its an emergency link and all we care about in a scenario where we have lost an RX is maintaining control.
Last edited by webbsolution; Dec 01, 2016 at 10:18 PM.