DJI Mavic android + VR (gear) or Headplay options/experiences? - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Nov 28, 2016, 01:39 PM
Free Falling
Discussion

DJI Mavic android + VR (gear) or Headplay options/experiences?

My mavic is due to arrive here in a day or so.. but i have a few things left to figure out.

I tried looking in a few of the main threads, but information becomes so scattered and hard to dig up in the long thread..

I have the newer VR Gear goggles, i also have a headplay hd goggles.

So far, from what i'm seeing, people seem to be saying that the app ($25) Litchi will work with VR gear..

There was a referenced mod for the vr gear goggles to allow the usb to work as a passthrough when in vr mode, but this one video was for the older set, i think..

How is everyone getting this to work at this point?

I have a samsung s7 edge.. do i just need Litchi (how does this app differ from DJI go or the one required for the quad?)

Is there a software mod/hack to make the usb work? Do I just use cardboard enabler with the Litchi app?

If none of the above, whats the next best thing.. Nvidia Shield with hdmi out + my existing headplay goggles?

Thanks in advance for any clarity here.
to remove ads between posts
Nov 28, 2016, 10:19 PM
What goes up, hopefully lands!
I guess it depends on what your actually looking for. Ideally you would want like the P3P or P4 setup with HDMI out. It gives a different view with OSD data at the bottom and full screen view and still allows the Go App running on the controller to use for input and adjustments and such.

However as you mentioned the closest your going to get is a K1 Shield and toggle off the App view to full screen view for FPV. Other than that you will lose the app and rely on controller for it's telemetry and switch functions when using "Googles". The main thread covered all this, as you have said. Other than that pony up in a few months for DJI googles and have it be the best of both worlds. Best of luck.
Nov 29, 2016, 04:41 PM
Free Falling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repaid1
I guess it depends on what your actually looking for. Ideally you would want like the P3P or P4 setup with HDMI out. It gives a different view with OSD data at the bottom and full screen view and still allows the Go App running on the controller to use for input and adjustments and such.

However as you mentioned the closest your going to get is a K1 Shield and toggle off the App view to full screen view for FPV. Other than that you will lose the app and rely on controller for it's telemetry and switch functions when using "Googles". The main thread covered all this, as you have said. Other than that pony up in a few months for DJI googles and have it be the best of both worlds. Best of luck.
Yes i hadnt thought of that, valid point, that when using the goggles you really cant do anything else.. i guess with at least the shield + headplay hdmi out option, you could still have the phone (or shield) in the controller and pull the goggles back to swipe or do other functions.

So i guess it depends on what cost the dji goggles end up coming in at and how much better visually (if any) the dji goggles will be than using the shield + headplay or s7 edge + cheap $25 amazon goggles.

So now that i bought Litchi as well.. does Litchi replace DJI GO in terms of functions or exceed it.. does it do the firmware upgrade and other calibration features that need to be done out of the box? I havent gotten that far, but i did get far enough to know the samsung vr gear external port doesnt pass data when connected (hence waiting on the amazon goggles)